Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this right?
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: Dec 9 2008, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

I've been BFing Waylon and I've run across a small problem. Quite a few times now he has thrown up shortly after eating - always within 30 minutes or so of finishing. I'd noticed it happened on days when I drank milk, so I cut that out. But then I realized that right after him throwing-up everything, he was hungry again so I'd feed him from the other breast. It just occurred to me though that if something was in my milk that he was reacting to that he should react again when he drinks from the other breast... right? If it's not him being sensitive to something I'm eating, then what could it be -- just a big air bubble getting trapped or him over eating? It only happens sometimes - maybe 7-8 times since birth.
Thanks!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 9 2008, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

There's a few things it could be...

It could be over-eating. Also, if you have a fast letdown, that could cause it.

If he has reflux, projectile vomiting is a symptom of that as well. Ashley had reflux and this was one of the symptoms. But, it happened more frequently.

I'd talk to a Lactation consultant and your pediatrician.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Dec 10 2008, 05:12 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

If its in your milk it will be in both breasts.
I had a problem with Al getting so bloated and gassy and projectile vomiting too, and I discovered it was a milk sensitivity. I cut it out of my diet and it really helped. When I switched her to formula I had to use Soy too. She wasn't able to handle milk until she was nearly 2.

PM

my2monkeyboys
Posted: Dec 10 2008, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

His Ped said that it could well be overeating and/or fast letdown, too. That's what got me to thinking about it not being milk sensitivity.... that's when it occurred to me that it should happen when he takes both breasts, not just the first one.
I may try a small glass of milk today and see if it happens. If not, surely then it would be a sign that it isn't milk sensitivity, right?
I have noticed that when his reflux is acting up (during the day I'll notice him spitting up more, "chewing" the regurgitated milk, that sort of thing) that he is more prone to vomiting. I've been watching my let down really close and try to take him off of it and let some squirt into a rag, and that seems to help his overall eating.
I've also thought of trying him on a little Mylanta when he's showing symptoms and see if that helps.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Dec 11 2008, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,162

It could be that his 'flap' doesn't close all the way. It is very early in the morning and the actual name is not coming to me rolleyes.gif laugh.gif but Taylor did that for a few weeks and then it stopped. It was projectile-FREAKED me out! but all was really OK. Just keep him in a little more relaxed position after he eats rather than sitting him straight up or placing him on your shoulder. If he has a good latch he should not be getting too much air to wait a few minutes to burp.
hug.gif Don't stress too much! It will be ok-I know it was so scary when Tay would vomit like that! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0104 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]