Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Garden is IN!
PrairieMom
Posted: May 15 2009, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

I just got the last of my corn seeds in as we were blessed with a lovely light rain this afternoon.
So, this year in my 22 x 22 garden I have
garlic, broccoli, leeks, rhubarb, white onion, asparagus, red onion , raspberries, acorn squash, strawberries, and corn. I have potatoes growing in a garbage can, and so far it is going well, I have cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, red, green, and yellow peppers growing in a separate garden, and dill, chives, mint, and peas growing in containers on my deck. I should be SET in a few weeks! thumb.gif

My old drip irrigation system doesn't work any more with my current set up, so i will work on replacing that this week, toss down the mulch and I will be in business!
PM
ZandersMama
Posted: May 15 2009, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

you've been a busy girl! it sounds great!

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: May 18 2009, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Great job!

I think we put ours in too early. Not everything came up, but a lot of it did. We did it weeks ago. BUT the problem is the stupid deer are eating everything that did come up. growl.gif I despise deer. Ryan said if we don't find something to keep them away from the garden we aren't going to do one anymore because it seems worthless when they eat 3/4 of our crop. sad.gif I don't want to give up my garden, but I don't want to spend 24/7 out there trying to shoo them away. wacko.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

BAC'sMom
Posted: May 18 2009, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

Congrats thumb.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: May 21 2009, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

I planted a little over a month ago & am waiting to start getting some stuff, should be SOON

I have corn, turnips, red onions, dill, eggplant, succhini, 2 types of tomatoes, 2 types of cucumbers, sunflowers, pumpkins, cantaloupe and banana peppers.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted: May 21 2009, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

That's great! thumb.gif

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
my2monkeyboys
Posted: May 21 2009, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

Karen, can you maybe plant a small garden of cheap stuff just for the deer, closer to where they enter your yard? If not, maybe you can inter-plant some deer resistant plants in your garden. Or hang some pie pans and plastic bags around.
I don't know... that's a pain, though!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 22 2009, 05:02 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (my2monkeyboys @ May 21 2009, 09:59 PM)
Karen, can you maybe plant a small garden of cheap stuff just for the deer, closer to where they enter your yard? If not, maybe you can inter-plant some deer resistant plants in your garden. Or hang some pie pans and plastic bags around.
I don't know... that's a pain, though!

We've tried many things. I caught them out there last night eating my corn. growl.gif They've already eaten all my peas and green beans. dry.gif We've tried different organic sprays. We've tried noise type boxes, etc. Oddly enough the deer resistant plants I've planted on our property....they've eaten - no joke! Peeves me off. I never used to let people hunt deer on our property and this past year I allowed it to get rid of the deer population. People continue to tear down wooded areas out in the country near us and build huge houses....therefore they come to the only wooded areas they can find.....ours. growl.gif Last night Ryan said we are definitely not having a garden next year. sleep.gif Our back "yard" is completely surrounded by wooded areas. The only other thing we could try is to put up deer fencing along the property lines where the wooded areas are BUT they could just come out the other sides of the wooded areas and into our property, so it's really a waste of money.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: May 22 2009, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Karen, can't you just put a fence all the way around your garden? Even a chain link fence with a gate if you wouldn't mind the way they look. The cost would be kind of a pain but what a bummer to live in the country and not be able to have a garden!

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: May 26 2009, 06:44 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ May 22 2009, 07:21 PM)
Karen, can't you just put a fence all the way around your garden? Even a chain link fence with a gate if you wouldn't mind the way they look. The cost would be kind of a pain but what a bummer to live in the country and not be able to have a garden!

I wouldn't mind a fence, but it would be extremely difficult to mow the area, plus the garden beds are lined as a walkway to the playground on our property. I'd have to post a picture to show you why it would be extremely difficult to do that. Believe me, I've thought of it and wish that is what I could do.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: May 26 2009, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Hey Karen, I found this...

1. Deer Don't Like Smelly Hair and Soap Borders
Did you know that deer normally run away when they smell humans? It's true! So, in order to take advantage of this fact, I use human hair to keep Bambi and friends far away from my vegetable garden. Simply sprinkle hair clippings around the perimeter of your garden, and the deer won't bother it.

Of course, if you cut your family's hair at home, you'll have an endless supply of hair to use. Otherwise, just check with your local barber shops and styling salons. They're usually glad to get rid of hair clippings.

You can use bars of smelly soap to deter the deer from your vegetable garden too. The process is a little more complicated than using the human hair. But, this method works well too. If you already have a fence in place around your garden, all you need to do is drill a hole clear through several bars of soap.

Here are some tips to help you out: 1) The smellier the soap is, the better. 2) You'll need to use at least one bar of soap per garden side. 3) You can use a long nail or screw to make the holes in the soap.

Then, tie pieces of string through the holes and attach the soap to the fence. Just like the human smell, the odor of the soap will deter deer from your vegetable garden.

You can also place rags that have been sprayed with Avon™ Skin So Soft Bath Oil around both your vegetable and flower gardens keeps all kinds of animals and other pests away. Or, try spraying the ground around your garden with straight SSS Bath Oil that hasn't been diluted.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0125 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]