Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> starting to think of having another baby, How do you handle more than one?
Sonia
Posted: Apr 18 2005, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,728

Hello Everyone,

I'm the mom of a 5 month old little bundle of joy and I'm a SAHM for the first time (I've been employed since I was 13 years old, now I'm 32). I've been a teacher for years, and I know how to handle 20-30 little people in class, but I'm wondering how you handle two, three or more little bundles of joy at home.

I know this must come up for most parents thinking about making the leap from one to more children. It just took me 6 years of increasingly intrusive methods to come up with our first one, so I'm starting to think of the second (and third) family members now, since I'll probably have to do a bit of work to get there. I"m positive that I do not want an only child, and I would love to have three or four (hubby agrees to three so that's probably where we'll stop).

I'm happy that I'm 32 now and have used up most of my drive to get ahead at work (though going back eventually would be wonderful), and I"ve traveled and moved around and all that. I feel like I"ve still got lots of energy for kids, and lots more patience than ever before.

Tell me how you all made the transition and help me find some ideas for getting my wonderful husband ready for another round of fun doctor visits next spring-fall. baby.gif
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Apr 18 2005, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

Its hard at first but then you get used to it
When you have 3 or 4 I saw no diffrence you just had less time to do things

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Alice
Posted: Apr 18 2005, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 574

Hi. Actually, we have a lot in common. I taught for 20 years- high school- then, after 9 years of "kinda trying", we adopted Brian. I was 40. Six months later I was pregnant with Julia, and quit teaching shortly after she was born. Three years later, another surprise: Kira!

As to how to handle several kids, I've used this analogy before: the best training I had (other than growing up in a big family) was waitressing. When I was waitressing in college, work was a matter of constantly re-accessing my priorities. If someone wanted a drink, I would go get it, but if my steaks were ready, they had to come first or they would overcook, so teh drink had to wait. But then the drink took precedence over the new table I should be greeting, and so on.

Does that make sense??

The hardest thing about having more than one child is that there are lots and lots of times when two totally dependant people want your help at the same time. And one of them just has to wait. It's a constant matter of deciding which need is more important, and that can be mentally draining. And I think some people (other, nicer people tongue.gif ) feel guilty about it- about making their child wait for attention.

HOnestly, after teaching (especially young kids), a lot of this is old hat to you. I say go for it!! And good luck!

--------------------
Alice
wife to Peter
mom to Brian (6-18-98)
Julia (2-17-00)
Kira (2-04-03)
PMEmail Poster

iluvmysweetiepies
Posted: Apr 19 2005, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Filling the world with beautiful girls

Member No.: 1,244

Well, we had quite a big break between #1 and #2 (7 years unsure.gif ), which imho made things easier in many ways. Now I'm the proud mommy of five. Adding more children is always hard at first, but everything always works out. smile.gif

--------------------
Alexia and Brooke 1-26-05
Lilypie Baby Ticker

~*~Loving wife to Scott & mother of 5~*~
Ashlyn Grace-14 Ariana Faith-6 Sofia Marie- 4
Alexia Michelle & Brooklyn Elizabeth 1.26.05
Born at 34 weeks 5 months old 3 months adjusted age

PMUsers Website

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0074 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]