Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dilemma - Cord Blood Banking
zyna
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 04:11 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,094

Hello

One of my friend emailed me about my opinion on whether she should opt for Cord Blood banking. I have always viewed cord blood banking somewhere in between misleading public to light scam. The Wiki article is not encouraging either and raises some questions ranging from misrepresentation, false claims to ethical.

I didn't opt for storage for my first kid. My friend was thinking of taking it. Cost in India is around INR 70K. I don't want to mislead her and want to get the opinion of broader audience.If all goes well i will also plan to take it for my second child as with our family history it makes sense. Please share your thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Thanks
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 04:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

From all the information I've gathered, it's just not worth it, mainly because the cord blood carries the same antibodies that the baby does, therefore if your baby gets sick (cancer etc) than you're passing on those same antibodies onto her again. Better idea is to donate it, or bank it and use someone else's if need be, I forget what it's called, but this is an option.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 04:41 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Here's a link someone posted in another recent thread about the pros and cons.

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/489.html

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

jcc64
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I have always viewed cord blood banking somewhere in between misleading public to light scam

Me too. Fwiw, my brother is a PICU physician, and he concurs.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0101 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]