Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Need new book series suggestion
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

for Ashley. Do you have any suggestions that your kids liked and you would recommend.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I'll have to ask Kylie. She reads a different chapter book every other day. rolleyes.gif She was reading some Magic Fairy series that she really liked. Her teacher said it was way too easy for her, but to go ahead and let her read it for fun. I dunno, Kylie liked them. happy.gif Last night she was reading the 5th book of the Diary for a Wimpy Kid, or something like that. Two days ago she was reading a Pippy Longstocking book. I know there is another series she likes to read, but I can't remember it. The only real series I've seen her keep up with is the Magic Fairy one. Otherwise she literally is reading a different book every other day so she gets whatever they have in the library at school.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Nov 11 2010, 05:40 PM)
I'll have to ask Kylie.  She reads a different chapter book every other day.   rolleyes.gif   She was reading some Magic Fairy series that she really liked.  Her teacher said it was way too easy for her, but to go ahead and let her read it for fun.  I dunno, Kylie liked them.   happy.gif   Last night she was reading the 5th book of the Diary for a Wimpy Kid, or something like that.   Two days ago she was reading a Pippy Longstocking book.  I know there is another series she likes to read, but I can't remember it.   The only real series I've seen her keep up with is the Magic Fairy one.  Otherwise she literally is reading a different book every other day so she gets whatever they have in the library at school.

If it is the one I am thinking of, she's read the Magical Fairies series (I think she has read every Fairy series there is). She's also read the entire Diary of a Wimpy kid series, all the Magic Tree House books, Judy Moody and all the Stink series, Box Car kids, Nancy Drew, all the Pippi Longstocking books, and there are probably some I am forgetting. She read a few Ramona books but didn't really care for them. I guess I should have included that in the original message. Sounds like Kylie and Ashley have similar taste in books.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

msoulz
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

How about the old Anne of Green Gables series? One of my faves as a kid!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
Sakeloonie
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5,520

How about some oldies that I loved as a kid? Since you said she read Nancy Drew, she might like the Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope. There is also the Meg mystery series, only 6 books I think, but I read each one numerous times. Author is Holly Beth Walker and you can get them used on Amazon.
PMEmail Poster
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

Well, there's the Misty of Chincoteague series. It's about horses. It's way old, but I loved it as a child.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Nov 11 2010, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

Member No.: 828

Katy reads the same books too.
Lately she has been rereading the Percy Jackson books between new books, 100 cupboards, Gotten up to book 5 in Harry Potter, and Legend of the Guardians.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
MommytoKKC
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,506

If she liked Diary of a Wimpy kid, she might like the Dork Diaries. Kayleigh is reading those right now.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (MommytoKKC @ Nov 12 2010, 11:46 AM)
If she liked Diary of a Wimpy kid, she might like the Dork Diaries.  Kayleigh is reading those right now.

She's read two of those, are there any more? I am not super crazy about the Dork series or the Diary of a Wimpy kid series, but we talked about them and she gets it, so I let her read them. She must like them because she will finish the entire book in a single day.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will have to look into some of these.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

ZandersMama
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

I have been reading the harry potters to Zander and he loves them. maybe the chronicles of narnia? i liked those. ita with the anne of green gables books, i was around 7 or 8 when i started those, great books

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (Sakeloonie @ Nov 11 2010, 09:36 PM)
How about some oldies that I loved as a kid? Since you said she read Nancy Drew, she might like the Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope. There is also the Meg mystery series, only 6 books I think, but I read each one numerous times. Author is Holly Beth Walker and you can get them used on Amazon.

She liked the Nancy Drew series but didn't like the Cam Jensen Mysteries. Still worth checking one out at the library.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks everyone!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

oooh I forgot about Narnia. She loved Narnia.

I wasnt crazy about the dork diaries or wimpy kid but both of the kids (the ones that can read) liked them too. I tend to push more toward 'real' books

--------------------
user posted image
MyBlueEyedBabies
Posted: Nov 12 2010, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Mommy's littlest man

I was just cleaning out Katys room and was reminded of two more. Little House on the Prairie and the Artemis Fowl books. Both a hit!

--------------------
user posted image
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Nov 13 2010, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

Other than Wimpy Kid and Judy Blume, Olivia just reads what she likes. She's never been much of a "series" girl. No help here, I guess!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 13 2010, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

Maddie has been bringing home Katie Kazoo books lately. She also loves the American Girl books and Nancy Drew.

I thought about getting her The Babysitters Club books to see if she likes them. I loved those when I was younger. rolling_smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Nov 15 2010, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Nov 11 2010, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Nov 11 2010, 05:40 PM)
I'll have to ask Kylie.  She reads a different chapter book every other day.   rolleyes.gif   She was reading some Magic Fairy series that she really liked.  Her teacher said it was way too easy for her, but to go ahead and let her read it for fun.  I dunno, Kylie liked them.   happy.gif   Last night she was reading the 5th book of the Diary for a Wimpy Kid, or something like that.   Two days ago she was reading a Pippy Longstocking book.  I know there is another series she likes to read, but I can't remember it.   The only real series I've seen her keep up with is the Magic Fairy one.  Otherwise she literally is reading a different book every other day so she gets whatever they have in the library at school.

If it is the one I am thinking of, she's read the Magical Fairies series (I think she has read every Fairy series there is). She's also read the entire Diary of a Wimpy kid series, all the Magic Tree House books, Judy Moody and all the Stink series, Box Car kids, Nancy Drew, all the Pippi Longstocking books, and there are probably some I am forgetting. She read a few Ramona books but didn't really care for them. I guess I should have included that in the original message. Sounds like Kylie and Ashley have similar taste in books.

Yeah, those are it. Also there is a NEW Diary of Wimpy Kid - that is the one Kylie just finished. She reads a lot of horse books too, but I don't know what series they are a part of. Also American Girl books - Kylie likes those.

I took her the used book store this weekend because she needed more books to read. She picked The Adventures of The Bailey School Kids series and one she's reading is "Werewolves Don't Run for President". rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif It's a short book, only about 75 pages so Kylie read it in one sitting rolleyes.gif but I liked it had a lot of facts in the back of the book on presidents and the whole political procedure. I don't know what the rest of the books in the series are like yet. She's hooked though.

Someone at the bookstore we were at mentioned that we should read all the Serendipity series. That they are short, but good because they have a lot of good messages in them. She said they are hard to find, so you have to go to used book stores.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 22 2010, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Nov 13 2010, 11:58 AM)
Maddie has been bringing home Katie Kazoo books lately.  She also loves the American Girl books and Nancy Drew. 

I thought about getting her The Babysitters Club books to see if she likes them.  I loved those when I was younger.   rolling_smile.gif

Ashley tried the Katie Kazoo books and really likes them. They're an easy read and I think she likes that she can read the whole book in one night, as opposed to reading the longer chapter books all the time. She got 8 of the books at the libary on Friday and she's read all of them, and wants to stop at the library and get more of them after school. Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 22 2010, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (MyBlueEyedBabies @ Nov 13 2010, 12:48 AM)
I was just cleaning out Katys room and was reminded of two more. Little House on the Prairie and the Artemis Fowl books. Both a hit!

Ashley read the Little House in the Prarie books in school. She came home one day and said, "hey Mom, they made a tv show about these books"...... LOL. I'll have to see if it is still on TV somewhere or maybe rent them for her.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 22 2010, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

Yep, Maddie reads them quick, too. They are probably "too" easy--but she likes them. tongue.gif

Our library has Little House on the Prairie. We rented them last fall/winter and watched every.single.episode! Good times. The kids LOVED them!
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Dec 21 2010, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

DeeDee, I know this is an older thread, but what about the Narnia series??? Tanner honestly hates reading. I can't blame him much, I'm not a big reader myself. But...there are a handful of books he does love, and the Narnia series is one of them.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 21 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (Boo&BugsMom @ Dec 21 2010, 02:31 PM)
DeeDee, I know this is an older thread, but what about the Narnia series??? Tanner honestly hates reading. I can't blame him much, I'm not a big reader myself. But...there are a handful of books he does love, and the Narnia series is one of them.

Actually this is good timing. She finished book #34 -- the last one of the series and we are making a trip to the library today.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0131 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]