Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> food allergist visit, yesterday
DansMom
Posted: May 11 2005, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 223

Daniel had his first follow-up visit with the food allergist yesterday. After examining him and weighing and measuring, he said that Daniel doesn't show any signs of failure to thrive, no exzema or rash, and that his soft stool problem sounds quite different from allergic reaction diarrhea. No blood in the stool, and the long delays between bowel movements, are not consistent with food allergy. We talked a while about what Daniel eats and what illnesses he had this winter. We're going to eliminate olive oil for a while and limit the juice intake. He also gave us SIX sampling kits to test for bacteria and parasites (yuck!), but said he doesn't think we'd see such an otherwise healthy, active, growing kid if that is the problem---just wanting to rule that out.

I really like this doctor---he has four kids of his own, and he strikes the right balance between concern and reassurance. Daniel was such a good boy!! He was leery about the exam table from past experience, but he was great about getting on the scale and getting measured. He has grown one inch and gained a pound and a half since his visit in November. The doc said that was normal growth for his age. We've had a few more solid poops since I started the acidophilus powder, but mostly it's still the way it was. I'm feeling reassured about the growth issues though.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: May 11 2005, 06:26 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

Hooray! Great appointment. Sounds like the doctor is just what you need. I had to do those parasite tests with Sophia last year - ick! Good luck with that. WTG Daniel! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
amymom
Posted: May 11 2005, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,308

Well, that is reassuring. Even though it is frustrating to not know the causes, it is nice to know that there are things to check.

I may have mentioned it before, but has celiac disease been looked at. It is an intolerance to gluten. It has similar symptoms to a food allergy but is not a 'real' allergy but an intolerance. It is a very often undiagnosed problem and as a body matures the symptoms seem to go away and then the disease strikes when a person is older and usually under stress. You have probably tried loads of answers to see if they fit. This is common in my family so I always suggest it when the bowel is involved in problems.

Good Luck and well wishes.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN

DansMom
Posted: May 11 2005, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

The allergist thought we'd see a lot more problems, with blood in the stool and failure to thrive, if there were gluten problems. I felt fairly reassured by his certainty that that was not an issue here. I'm surely hoping that this turns out to be too much oil or too much juice! That would be a lot easier. In one year, they will test for peanuts and retest for milk and egg.

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: May 11 2005, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

Great! That is great! Celiac is a hard to manage disease. I'm glad that has been essentially ruled out.

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: May 11 2005, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Sounds like Daniel is doing well! thumb.gif So you have to go another year or more on dairy-free, etc before he/you can get off of it? That's a bummer.

BTW, Megan's rash on her face is clearing up so I'm *hoping* I don't have to cut out wheat/soy, lol.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: May 11 2005, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Great news! Wish I could find a doctor like that...Keep us posted on next visit.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: May 11 2005, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

awww that sounds like a good app. WTG Daniel!! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
jcc64
Posted: May 11 2005, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

That's great Tracy. Isn't it such a huge relief to find the right dr who knows how to adequately address your concerns?
I hadn't heard about olive oil adversely affecting digestive activity, but I most certainly have heard about the problems with excessive juice consumption. I give Corey juice full strength with the expressed intent to provoke stool softening, (doesn't work in our case, but I keep trying) so I would imagine a kid who isn't predisposed to chronic constipation would wind up with Daniel's symptoms.
As long as he's growing and happy, these are small problems to deal with, right?

I'm a big fan of acidopholus powder. Good stuff for all of us, imo.

This post has been edited by jcc64 on May 11 2005, 08:07 AM

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: May 11 2005, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Thanks everybody! I am feeling good about things with Daniel these days.

Jeanne, I think the oil issue is just that if he's getting a lot it may be having a laxative effect, loosening the stool, even though it doesn't process as quickly as mineral oil or flax seed oil---we really are liberal with it smile.gif I tend to think juice is more likely as a potential culprit, though, seeing as how these symptoms seemed to coincide with DH's introduction of juice boxes, which are undiluted.

Karen, I can eat dairy when Daniel weans... and I'm hoping he'll wean before age 3 and a half. The moment weaning occurs (let it be next week!!), DH is taking me to my favorite breakfast place, where I'll most certainly order stuff that contains eggs and cheese AND I'll dump some cream in my coffee laugh.gif I can't wait. As long as Daniel is allergic though, I'll continue to eat mostly what he eats so that he doesn't feel left out at mealtimes, but at least I'll be able to eat what I want when he's not around. Like getting a raspberry sourcream muffin on the way to work. I long for that day.

Great news on the improvement in Megan's symptoms! Dairy is usually the culprit, so it will be great if you can stop there. thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: May 11 2005, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

yay!! Great appointment!!!!! Sounds like Daniel is doing well!

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
chloe&tysmommy
Posted: May 11 2005, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 86

glad Daniel is doing well!! and it's nice to hear that you found a doctor that you like...that helps a lot!

I can't imagine not being able to have any dairy products wacko.gif how do you do it? ohmy.gif

--------------------
~Crystal~

PMEmail PosterMSN
kit_kats_mom
Posted: May 11 2005, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

You have the patience of Job...I seriously don't know if I could do all that you have done. You rock!
It's great to find a decent ped. Sounds like Daniel is doing much better. Congrats

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0082 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]