Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Happy, but disappointed
C&K*s Mommie
Posted: Sep 11 2006, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

President & CEO of the CNCK Corporation

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,622

I am happy yet disappointed looking ahead to the future of Christian remaining in the private school she is in.

There are so many plusses, as to why we chose where we did-- in the end we are extremely happy and so is Christian.

Anyhow, in speaking with Holley (holley79) and another parent (whose child did not attend this particular school, but confirmed the same story as Holley)- this school has chosen to dictate what their students do outside of the classroom, outside of the school all together. From the grades of 6th-12th, students (or their parents) are requested to sign a contract stating that they (the student) will not wear certain clothing, patron certain restaraunts, even listen to gospel rock. While I am not 100% of all the details of the contract of what they are expected to do, or not to do, it is merely learning that once my children are out of elementary with this school, they are expected to abide by certain rules while in public, or face consequences back in school. Again, I am not 100% of all the details, but I have learned enough for questions to be raised in the coming years. huh.gif

It will be many years before we cross that bridge, but I will not allow my children to be told the most appropiate behavior/dress while off the premises of this school, as their mother we both can decide together and compromise if necessary. We obey the dress codes as requested for Christian in K-4, and will continue to. But any contractual agreements between my children and the school are off, when it comes time to enter junior high!

--------------------
*~*wife to Christopher for 5yrs~*~
~*~mother to Christian (5) & Kellie (3.5)*~*

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Sep 11 2006, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Personally, I agree with you 100%. Having dress codes and rules of behavior inside school are good. I wouldn't even mind suggestions of proper decorum ouside of school, or the occasional recommendation of places that you should not patronize (with good reason - for example, if it is a religious/Christian school, a restaurant that is publicly anti-Christian). But there is no way I would allow my child's school to dictate what they can and cannot do outside of school grounds.
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Sep 11 2006, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Ditto to Pam. I'm sure they "intend" well but it's over the line IMHO.
PMEmail Poster

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 04:06 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

So what happens if you don't sign the "requested" contract?

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Sep 11 2006, 08:37 PM)
Ditto to Pam. I'm sure they "intend" well but it's over the line IMHO.

Ditto! Totally agree. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do about it Nicole. I would feel the same way.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 04:43 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Yep...that's dumb. School telling you how to raise your child? Nunh-unh. mad.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

assimilate.gif borg-drone.gif assimilate.gif borg-drone.gif assimilate.gif borg-drone.gif
Weird. Hopefully someone will convince these people that they cannot (and should not in America) control what happens outside of school. That's a shame, since it seems to me that the school has a lot of real positive points. External control would weigh like a ton of lead against any benefits if it were me.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

omg.. I think if it was me I would keep her in until she is out of elementry school then I would consider moving to a different school IF that is still how they do things.. but that is what I would do!!! I don't think that a SCHOOL should tell my kids how they act outside of school that is the parents job!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I agree, its kinda like sayign the parents dont know how to parent.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
C&K*s Mommie
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

President & CEO of the CNCK Corporation

Member No.: 2,622

This is what I am thinking; it may be that the actual details may have been aggravated and blown out of proportion. I still have yet to make a call to the school to inquire, but I will do so soon.

I believe that the the school would prefer that the student in public is a good representation of the school, and to behave appropiately-- the same as we as parents want our children to behave appropiately the way we have raised them, when they are not in our sight.

I am beginning to wonder if the contract is really a binding contract at all. It may be a piece of paper, making mere suggestions. Sort of a promissory note, that the student will adhere to the best behavior, but nothing with consequences. That seems so far fetched for anyone. I am beginning to wonder if the details of the contract have since been misconstrued bigthink.gif , and we all know how rumors spread like wildfire...

So what happens if you don't sign the "requested" contract?

A classmate of mine the other night said that they would have some form of detention in school. But again, that is such a far fetched punishment for something a child does off of school premises.

I will check into it, and give them a call just to inquire about the junior high/high school rules.

One thing to add though, and part of my thinking that some of the details are false rumors. The college that is affiliated with Christian's K-4 through 12thgrade school, sits on the next property over. This college has had many many rumors about it for as long as it has been in existence. Rumors of cults, and mandatory attendance at church on Sunday, not being able to leave the campus. I asked several people about some of these, and all were confirmed by them, but none of the people actually went to the college, so again I am not sure if the details are far-fetched and untrue or true but being swept under the rug. unsure.gif

--------------------
*~*wife to Christopher for 5yrs~*~
~*~mother to Christian (5) & Kellie (3.5)*~*

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvbug00
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:37 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Oh I hope this was blown out of proportion because to me all those rules are way extreme. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0081 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]