Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> For those whose kids were in preschool 2 years
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

were they bored that second year? I've been getting asked here a lot lately by friends, family and acquaintances if I'm sending Kylie to preschool this year. We aren't because she's not starting Kindergarden til she's 6 so we are waiting til next year. Most of the ones I've talked to IRL have told me it was good that I was waiting because their kids went 2 years and were literally bored that second year.

Kylie goes to her Pre-K screening next Thursday so that we can see where she's at on things. This will help our at-home provider to determine what would be best to work with her on this year, as she does a preschool type program in her home with Kylie. I'm curious to see where she's at too. Anyways, my boss and I were talking this morning about it because his second boy went 2 years. He really needed preschool because he was lacking in many areas. What suprised me about that is my boss said his son was so bored that second year they wished they wouldn't have done it that way and that I'm doing the right thing. That shocked me because his boy was lacking in so many areas. I can see that if your child is advanced, but his was not at all.

So I'm just curious for curiousity sake how it was for you, sending your children for 2 years of preschool. Were they bored that second year? If so, did they go into preschool that 1st year advanced, right on the line, or behind? TIA.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 17 2006, 07:13 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

Well Kait has not been in 2 years yet. Right now she goes 1/2 days 5 days a week, she can start pre-K I think when she is 4 and go full days then K when she is 5. If she is ready for this. I trust the school to let me know if she is getting board and move her to the next leval of program. I hope she does not get board, they have some great programs for all different levals. However I do need to talk to them to make sure I get informed if she were to seem board, so we can take action to keep stimulating her. I also ask her everyday how school is and she is still very happy. I hope if she gets board she will also tell me.

This post has been edited by Kaitlin'smom on Aug 17 2006, 07:31 AM

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Aug 17 2006, 10:30 AM)
Well Kait has not been in 2 years yet. Right now she goes 1/2 days 5 days a week, she can start pre-K I think when she is 4 and go full days then K when she is 5. If she is ready for this. I trust the school to let me know if she is getting board and move her to the next leval of program. I hope she does not get board, they have some great programs for all different levals. However I do need to talk to them to make sure I get informed if she were to seem board, so we can take action to keep stimulating her. I also ask her everyday how school is and she is still very happy. I hope if she gets board she will also tell me.

That's good that they do that, move them to different levels if need be. I'll have to check our school out to see if they do that. So do they have different classes of pre-k for the different levels kids are at?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

If they get bored, then it's not a very good school. wink.gif

Maddie went 3 years and never got bored. She is not above average by any means and I will never pretend she is. Some things are developmental and no amount of schooling can make you advance further in development, that has to be up to the child. BUT, I will say that yes, she is more advanced than those who didn't attend preschool at all, but not moreso than those who only attended 2 years or even a one year pre-K program. There are some AWESOME pre-K programs out there. Kylie will be fine...she's getting stimulation from daycare and if Terry is teaching her things, then I don't see that she would have a problem. I sent Maddie a little earlier than most b/c she never went to daycare and didn't get any of that other than what I tried to teach her, but I wasn't consistent, she wouldn't always listen to me and she needed socialization.

So, yes..I think you are doing the right thing for Kylie. wink.gif Each situation is different, but the way you talk about her....I know she will do great. thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Thanks Aimee. I'm not looking for validation for what I'm doing, I am just really curious about this because I, too, went to 2 years preschool and was bored out of my mind and I honestly did go to a great, well known preschool in our area. For me it was because at the time I was very advanced for my age.....what happened to me later on I can't tell you. laugh.gif tongue.gif

I would normally agree that if they are bored it's not a good school, but talking with a broad range of people, I just don't find that to be true, at least here that is.

I used to think that if they got bored it was because they were advanced and weren't challenged enough, but after talking with my boss he's proved my thoughts wrong. His child does have lots of issues and isn't advanced by any means, yet he got bored. I know the school was challenging him so what else was it? Was it his personality, what?

I look at Megan and I feel that she will need more help. She may need to go 2 years. I'm not belittling her, she's just very slow with everything she does. Not slow as in..well you know what I mean. Kylie is just quicker to learn in some things, but I don't think I'd call her advanced. We'll see when she's screened next week. I am typically a harder judge than others when it comes to my childs abilities, so I am very curious to see what comes of next week. Maybe Kylie wouldn't get bored. She's such a sponge.

I do have other reasons for not sending her, as I've stated in other posts before. So I know I'm doing what is right for her. I am just really curious about the subject as my boss bombed my theory right out of the water. happy.gif

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 17 2006, 08:44 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

My point is that if you are an educator you should know what that child needs to keep them from getting bored. Even if it is his personality. Each school we have sent Maddie to has had an individualized program where each student is treated as an individual and not a whole. They are all taught on different levels and each student is assessed by the teachers to know that child's strengths and weaknesses. She was strategically placed in her classroom this year for a reason. One reason being that they want most of the kids in there to be at or around the same level. I appreciate the care they take in making sure my child is getting the proper education at a level in which she can handle. You have meetings with the teachers several times a year. Of course it is our responsibilites to know about our children's education, but the teachers are with them all day and they tend to know more about what level your child should be on.

Anyway, I think you are on to something about it being that child's personality. There are a lot of kids who don't like school and it has nothing to do with being advanced. A lot of it is laziness and they don't want to be pushed to learn anything.

I, too, went to 2 years preschool and was bored out of my mind and I honestly did go to a great, well known preschool in our area. For me it was because at the time I was very advanced for my age.....what happened to me later on I can't tell you. 

Funny that you remember this. tongue.gif All I remember about preschool was playing on the playground or in our little playhouse in the room. rolling_smile.gif You must have a great memory.

PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I just wanted to add that if the child is below average and not ready for the class, they will get bored that way as well. They shut down b/c they aren't grasping it. A child in Maddie's class last year had this problem and is repeating kinder this year.
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

Well Aliyah was in preschool for virtually two years. This past year, it was considered "Junior Kindergarten" but she took senior nursery school (pre-K in Europe) the year before we moved. I think the transition and change of classroom style in general helped her from being really bored but I did notice many similarities in the curriculum. Age-wise we had no other choice for her here...if I knew we were going to have moved, I would have held her back while we were in Belgium.

I think you're making the right choice by having her wait. I'd think the only advantages to a double dose of preschool would be the socialization benefits and the consistency of staying in a school atmosphere up until kindergarten.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I think there's no hard and fast rule, Karen. Depends on the kid, depends on the school.
I sent my boys to 2 yrs of preschool, and Corey will be doing her 2nd year in Sept.
Personally, I place very little value or emphasis on the "academic" aspects of preK. To me, the most important learning for kids this age is social, and no child can ever get enough practice with that. There's always gonna be some kid you don't get along with, or want to be friends with, who won't share the blocks, etc. Every day is another opportunity to learn how to navigate different social interactions- the good, the bad, and the ugly. That's the work of preschool, imo. The academics seep in somehow, and I realize that most kids enter K prepared to read- as did mine, but to me, that is secondary to social maturation. No child, no matter how advanced, knows everything there is to know after 1 yr of school, imo.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

Jasons preschool is divided into three grade levels. He started at the second level and this coming spetember he will be going into the next level, so no he won't be bored. It is different. he'll have anew teavher and a new classroom. The teacher focuses more on the academics, writing and letter sounds (although he already knows that too)

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 17 2006, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Aug 17 2006, 10:30 AM)

That's good that they do that, move them to different levels if need be. I'll have to check our school out to see if they do that. So do they have different classes of pre-k for the different levels kids are at?

honestly I am not totaly sure how it all works just yet. I do know there are different classrooms for the same thing I think there are at least 2 for each pre-school, pre-K and K. I personally dont see Kait gettign board there they really have a very small teacher to student ratio so they can focuse more on the kids as individuals rather than a whole class. One thing I really liked is they dont push if she does not want to participate in something she does not have to she can go to another area and work. She normaly participates in everything they have set for the day but I have seen on her reports where she was not interested in something and went back to somethign she liked.

sounds like Terri is doing great with her and she might not need the 2 years.

I am wondering just how do they evluate her, what kinda of things will they have her do? How accurate do they say this is?

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Aug 17 2006, 11:58 AM)

I, too, went to 2 years preschool and was bored out of my mind and I honestly did go to a great, well known preschool in our area. For me it was because at the time I was very advanced for my age.....what happened to me later on I can't tell you.  

Funny that you remember this. tongue.gif All I remember about preschool was playing on the playground or in our little playhouse in the room. rolling_smile.gif You must have a great memory.

I actually DO remember preschool, isn't that crazy? tongue.gif I remember SO much from my preschool days. happy.gif Dh and I were talking about this the other night. He says I remember the weirdest things but then I can't remember things like when Kylie started doing this or that as a baby. blush.gif Kinda sad, I know.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Aug 17 2006, 12:01 PM)
I just wanted to add that if the child is below average and not ready for the class, they will get bored that way as well. They shut down b/c they aren't grasping it. A child in Maddie's class last year had this problem and is repeating kinder this year.

GOOD point! thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Aug 17 2006, 01:27 PM)
sounds like Terri is doing great with her and she might not need the 2 years.

I am wondering just how do they evluate her, what kinda of things will they have her do? How accurate do they say this is?

Terri does do an excellent job with her, IMO. That's why I like at-home care, she can get so much one-on-one time there and all needs can be met at all times, even with her little Terminator sister running around. laugh.gif She purchases the Mother Goose preschool program that is online, which from the materials I get that I have to use to work with her on are great, we like them.

As far as how the school evaluates her I do not know. We'll find out next week. My boss said if they don't like what they see during eval then they'll do a home eval as well. Say for instance if a kid just won't open up there at the testing place because they are shy, then they'll test them in their home environment where they feel more comfortable. I really liked the sound of that. Course I don't think Kylie is going to have that problem. rolleyes.gif I'll KUP on how it goes.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Aug 17 2006, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 17 2006, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Aug 17 2006, 11:58 AM)

I actually DO remember preschool, isn't that crazy? tongue.gif I remember SO much from my preschool days. happy.gif Dh and I were talking about this the other night. He says I remember the weirdest things but then I can't remember things like when Kylie started doing this or that as a baby. blush.gif Kinda sad, I know.

Scotty does too. laugh.gif His family jokes that he remembers things from when he was in the womb. rolling_smile.gif

My best friend and I went to preschool together so we have fun sharing stories. It's funny b/c we both remember different things, but we've done this so long (for so many years) that our stories are kind of combined and we can't remember who originally remembered what or who did what. laugh.gif

Sorry to get off topic. tongue.gif

That is GREAT that they will do a home eval. thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Aug 17 2006, 08:34 AM)
If they get bored, then it's not a very good school. wink.gif

I second that. A good school will challenge each individual child to their highest potential! It's the teacher's job to do that, IMHO.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I must be really old because back in my day they didn't even have preschool, at least not here! K was when school started, period. Everything up until then was just day care.

My step-d went to one year of preschool and was not the least bit behind in K. I didn't go to preschool at all, and was always ahead and even skipped a grade and then when I tested into a different school could have skipped another. I think a lot of it has to do with the kid and what educational stuff goes on at home.
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0089 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]