Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> for those who homeschool, when did you start?
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: May 22 2006, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

Will is only about 3 1/2 now, but I am wondering when I should officially start homeschooling him. Technically we kind of do preschool stuff now (learning letters/numbers, crafts, etc), but I am tempted to go ahead and register him with an association. By law (here anyway) you don't have to until it is time for them to start regular kindergarten, which would be almost 2 years from now bc of his late birthday. I also don't want to do it too early though in case it would cause problems.
Any suggestions?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: May 22 2006, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

I started my girls when they were in kindergarten. Brianna won't start until next year and right now I just do some fun things with her with shapes, colors, sometimes letters but I don't put too much emphasis on that one yet. I prefer to start them later than sooner. There are many informal studies out there that show early formal education to be potentially harmful (I stress formal, meaning sitting at a table, "do your math problems" type of education), but like I said, they are informal studies and could be taken with a grain of salt. I can tell you that the advice I've been given from homeschooling mothers (with children doing exceptional in college I might add) is to wait. I would probably get flamed if I wrote out our school plan for next year so I don't think I'll do that, but I'll just say take it easy. Teach him absolutely-Kids are sponges so let him learn! But don't feel you need to sit him down and "school" him yet. happy.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
my2monkeyboys
Posted: May 22 2006, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

We only doing 'learning' really when he wants to... we've gotten little work books that he loves to do. His cousin is going to 2nd grade this coming year and so Will loves to do "homework" with him. Otherwise I just let him have fun and learn what he will at his own pace. I agree with you... I think learning too early will have even worse results than learning too late, on the whole. There was an article I read just recently from a psychologist who said that he sees more 5-9 year olds that are stressed out (to the point of needing a therapist) that are that way due to the pressure to learn so much so early. He says that children are not mentally equipped to deal with all of that at such an early age. I have to say, whether there is proof of that or not, in my heart I agree with him.
I guess the real question I have is to whether I should go ahead a register somewhere or not?

Sorry I got so long-winded! blush.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

5littleladies
Posted: May 22 2006, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

Don't worry about being long-winded. I get that way too. wink.gif

Ok to answer the question, I would say no don't register him. If you don't actually need to register him yet, I wouldn't. I don't register my kids until it is absolutely required by law. Here in MN that is age 7. I start my kids before that, but I don't send anything into the district until their 7th birthday.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
3_call_me_mama
Posted: May 22 2006, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

We are homeschooling. Cameron will be 4 this fall adn we are starting his "kindergarten" this year. We are not submitting anyhting to teh state (here in VT you must submit somethign to teh State Deartment of Education in writing that you intend to homeschool by their 6th birthday). So the September before he turns 6 we wil send in our curriculum plan for the year and then our assesment or portfolio (not sure which ones we are using yet) at teh end of the year. We arent' really unschooling but not really schooling either (if that makes sense). I have some curriculum that we will loosely follow and other stuff i wil create a curriculum for and go from his interests form there. We had him tested to seee where he "fit" so we knew what to use as a starting point for when we do have to submit things and at 3 he academically met teh requirements to begin kindergarten and was actually above where teh average kindergartener would be just past half way through the school year. (which we knew without the testing but we wanted something written so that we weren't questioned if we submit materials later that seem above where he should be...... and that way we can actually show his progress rather than just have him spend a year or two repeating what he already knew for two years so tha the fit with everyoen else his age. (which is our main reason for homeschooling.. he doesn't fit with everyoen else his age academically so rather than push him ahead or hold him back form his desire to learn we are taking this individualized route.
I'd check out the laws in your state and see when you actually are required to enroll by and what that entails. (Hope all that made sense!!)

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: May 30 2006, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (willsmama @ May 22 2006, 06:54 AM)
I agree with you... I think learning too early will have even worse results than learning too late, on the whole. There was an article I read just recently from a psychologist who said that he sees more 5-9 year olds that are stressed out (to the point of needing a therapist) that are that way due to the pressure to learn so much so early. He says that children are not mentally equipped to deal with all of that at such an early age.

It depends how you look at it really, if you ask me. Does he "want" to learn? If so, then if you hold him back he may lose his love for learning. If he doesn't show as much interest right now, then yes, I can see where it would do damage if he is pushed too early. There is a difference between challenging and pushing. Pushing a child to do something they are not yet mentally ready for will do damage. However, challenging children who are capable of the abilities will do wonders and will only increase their mental stamina and love for learning. That is the great thing about homeschooling, everything is at the child's pace. I don't homeschool officially, as my son is only almost 4, but if I had the option I would do it to be honest (if I could get the hubby to agree with me!).

I probably wouldn't register him yet, but there is no reason why you shouldn't teach him things when he is ready for the next level of learning. My philosophy is never hold a child back when they are ready, but never push a child when they are not yet capable. That's why I love the whole homeschooling atmosphere because you can easily manage that! Sometimes it's hard to grasp the middle ground on that one though. Good luck. Whatever you do I am sure you will do what is best for him no matter what! They are young for only so long bawling.gif .

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: May 30 2006, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I know, it's very bittersweet watching them grow up. I think I will wait on the registering, and just keep at the loose teaching I'm doing now. Here in SC I think you just have to notify the school district the year they would start kindergarten, so we have a while. I don't think you have to turn anything in the them, either, but you have to keep a portfolio of their work to show their progress and to make sure they're learning the right stuff, just in case.
Thanks for the help and support... it always makes me feel more comfortable with my decision after I "talk" to all of you.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
cdmommy
Posted: Jun 14 2006, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,937

I would say when you feel like your child is ready. My son started recognizing letters at 2 and that's when we started. You can always change and wait once you've started.
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0076 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]