Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rectal thermometer...
mammag
Posted: Apr 21 2005, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,050

Okay....I'm almost embarassed to ask but how do I do this? It sounds ridiculous because I have four kids but I've just never been able to bring myself to do it. I called the dr.'s office this morning and they said if Keegan's fever gets beyond 100.5 rectally to get him in. So I have to go buy one and take his temp this afternoon and I'm dreading it!!! What's the easiest way? If I try to just lay him on his tummy he's going to start trying to crawl again. He rarely sits still.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
JAYMESMOM
Posted: Apr 21 2005, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,669

Lay him across your lap or if you have someone else hold him on their chest/head on the shoulder while standing and then you can stick it in that way. It doesn't have to go far. I find having someone else hold him up on their chest while standing works the best.

Sorry to hear you have to do that - I prefer under the arm or the ear thermometers.

Good Luck

--------------------
user posted image
In loving memory of Great-Grandma Wright 3-26-06.
Not pictured Great-Grandma Buckley RIP 11-20-05.
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Boys r us
Posted: Apr 21 2005, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 378

I don't know..I still have nightmares of rectal thermomoters! i remember once when I was like 4, I went with my mom to take my baby brother to the dr b/c he had an ear infection. They used a rectal therm on him. I vividly recall telling myself I would NEVER tell my mom that I had a ear infection..for fear they'd use one on me! LOL
and I remember suffering through several in silence!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM

3_call_me_mama
Posted: Apr 21 2005, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

I personally have never used one, but at a dr's'appt once when Cameon was very little they used one and they laid him on his back and held his feet up toward his head liek they were changing a diaper and inserted it that way. They used vaseline on it and only inserted int about 1/2 inch.. hope that helps... I would just take it under the arm and add one degree it's about as close as you can get to the actual internal temp without going internal.

This post has been edited by cam&kat's_mom on Apr 21 2005, 11:53 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
ediep
Posted: Apr 21 2005, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

QUOTE (cam&kat's_mom @ Apr 21 2005, 03:50 PM)
I personally have never used one, but at a dr's'appt once when Cameon was very little they used one and they laid him on his back and held his feet up toward his head liek they were changing a diaper and inserted it that way. They used vaseline on it and only inserted int about 1/2 inch.. hope that helps...

yup, this is how I've done it too. they make them with a safety thing so it does't go in too far

good luck! hope he is better soon

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
kimberley
Posted: Apr 23 2005, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

yuck! i can't do it that way either and cringed when they have done it in the hospital. they did the feet in the air thing too. sad.gif i am scarred by that stuff because Jacob could never take meds orally as a baby, so if he was sick we had to use abenol... tylenol suppositories bawling.gif . horrible!!

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Jamison'smama
Posted: Apr 23 2005, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

I just layed him on his back--like a diaper change as well--a little vaseline does help. It's not that bad--Jack didn't cry a bit. It onlt goes in a tiny bit.. Our thermometer reads in 10 seconds.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 23 2005, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I have never used one either. blush.gif

Did you take his temp? How is he feeling? I hope he is feeling better soon. grouphug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mammag
Posted: Apr 23 2005, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

Well, I chickened out. blush.gif Couldn't do it. Just did under the arm. He quit throwing up by noonish the next day and his temp went down so he must have just had a 24 hour thing. We are still getting some explosive diapers but only 1 or 2 a day.

The good thing that came out of it is his mouth, when he was upset, got into perfect "ma" shape and he is now saying "ma ma ma" a lot. It is soooo cute. wub.gif

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
iluvmysweetiepies
Posted: Apr 24 2005, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Filling the world with beautiful girls

Member No.: 1,244

QUOTE (mammag @ Apr 23 2005, 02:38 PM)
The good thing that came out of it is his mouth, when he was upset, got into perfect "ma" shape and he is now saying "ma ma ma" a lot. It is soooo cute. wub.gif

Awww that is so sweet! wub.gif wub.gif

I'm glad he's feeling better! smile.gif

--------------------
Alexia and Brooke 1-26-05
Lilypie Baby Ticker

~*~Loving wife to Scott & mother of 5~*~
Ashlyn Grace-14 Ariana Faith-6 Sofia Marie- 4
Alexia Michelle & Brooklyn Elizabeth 1.26.05
Born at 34 weeks 5 months old 3 months adjusted age

PMUsers Website
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 27 2005, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (mammag @ Apr 23 2005, 03:38 PM)
Well, I chickened out. blush.gif Couldn't do it. Just did under the arm. He quit throwing up by noonish the next day and his temp went down so he must have just had a 24 hour thing. We are still getting some explosive diapers but only 1 or 2 a day.

Glad he is feelign a little better.

That is sooo sweet about ma ma! I bet he just wanted you to know how much he appreciates that you are there to take care of him! wub.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0087 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]