Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Heart conditions
ChristineA
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,756

Does anybody here have a child with a heart condition?

My 17 month old daughter, Anika, has wolf parkinson white syndrome. It is basically an extra path way in the heart so the electric pulse that makes the heart pump never dies out, it just keeps going around and around. This causes the heart to beat way to fast and can be deadly.

At 23 days old I was at my daughters 2 week check up (at 3 weeks because the doctor was booked) Everything was going fine until the end when she tried to listen to her heart. A normal babies hear rate is usually between 120-160.. At this point Anikas was at 240 and she was just lying there not fussy or anything. The doctor told me I need to get her to childrens hospital but I was new to the city and had taken the bus to the doctor. She then listened again and started to get scared and ran out of the room, she came back and told me she had called 911. A few minutes later paramedics showed up and hear heart rate was at 270 beats a minute, still she was just resting against my shoulder. We left the doctors office, as a good 20 other parents stared at me as I tried to get my stroller and car seat and the paramedics rushed Anika into the ambulance. When we got to the hospital they hooked her up to the machines and her heart rate was off the monitor. The monitors can only count up to 300 beats a minute so it was over that. There is nothing like being a first time mom and seeing your baby being poked 10 times to get an IV in. Also after filling out paper work as I walked into the room they were putting a bag of ice over her face, kind of scary if you dont know that that actually helps yet!. Finally they got an IV in and were able to slow her heart rate down with medication. She was released a few hours later.

She was on medication twice a day for the first year of her life and has recently just been taken off as some kids out grow this problem. So far we have had no problems but there is always the chance of it coming back. If it does in the future she has the option of surgery to fix this extra pathway.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I have never heard of that, but just wanted to say your pics are really nice!
welcome to PC.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ChristineA
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Aug 29 2009, 07:29 AM)
I have never heard of that, but just wanted to say your pics are really nice!
welcome to PC.

thank you

Its a very very rare problem with the heart. Apparently though marlyn manson and gene simmons have it.
PMEmail Poster

MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

My little boy was born with an aortic coarctation, a bicuspid aortic valve and aortic stenosis. He had 3 heart catheterizations and 2 surgeries in his first 14 months. But he's almost 5 now and though he's small for his age, he's growing and learning and bright and well-adjusted. Though, I'm his mom and I'm supposed to say that stuff. Welcome to PC, I lurk more often than not, but thought I should respond to this one.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

My daughter Al has a PDA, we have been very blessed that it hasn't required medical intervention, we are just keeping an eye on things and it seems to be closing all on its own. She is small for her age, but it doesn't seem to be slowing her down at all.
PM
ChristineA
Posted: Aug 29 2009, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (MyBrownEyedBoy @ Aug 29 2009, 04:26 PM)
My little boy was born with an aortic coarctation, a bicuspid aortic valve and aortic stenosis. He had 3 heart catheterizations and 2 surgeries in his first 14 months. But he's almost 5 now and though he's small for his age, he's growing and learning and bright and well-adjusted. Though, I'm his mom and I'm supposed to say that stuff. Welcome to PC, I lurk more often than not, but thought I should respond to this one.

I cant imagine having to watch your little one go in for surgery! Im so glad it hasnt come to that for Anika *yet* and hopefully it wont

I love your user name I sing to my son all the time and tell him hes my little brown eyed boy.
PMEmail Poster
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Aug 30 2009, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

QUOTE (ChristineA @ Aug 29 2009, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (MyBrownEyedBoy @ Aug 29 2009, 04:26 PM)
My little boy was born with an aortic coarctation, a bicuspid aortic valve and aortic stenosis.  He had 3 heart catheterizations and 2 surgeries in his first 14 months.  But he's almost 5 now and though he's small for his age, he's growing and learning and bright and well-adjusted.  Though, I'm his mom and I'm supposed to say that stuff.  Welcome to PC, I lurk more often than not, but thought I should respond to this one.

I cant imagine having to watch your little one go in for surgery! Im so glad it hasnt come to that for Anika *yet* and hopefully it wont

I love your user name I sing to my son all the time and tell him hes my little brown eyed boy.

It's one of the most awful feelings in the world. To be completely out of control and have nothing to do but pray and watch other parents file in and out of the waiting room. I hope you never have to experience it. I was a member her when it happened. If you search my old posts back a few years I'm sure you could find them. I posted daily updates of Logan's progress. I'm glad your little one's condition is so far controlled by medication.

Nice to meet you, I love my brown eyed boy. He can just melt my heart sometimes. Welcome, again.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0110 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]