Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another asthma question, altitude
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

For those of you with asthmatic children, do you notice it is worse in higher altitude? That may not be an issue depending on where you live but I *think* I notice a difference between here, at 5700 feet, and the place we lived previously, at 7000 feet.

I'm asking for a few reasons, there is a chance of moving to 8000 feet, and I'm wondering if that could be a health concern, and also because I was thinking of taking the kids to one of the ski areas that has summer activities but don't know if the altitude would be an aggravating factor for Colt, even though it would just be for the day if it would make him more likely to have an exercise induced attack.

I'm having trouble making progress because I can't get the old doctors office to release his records to the new one .... they keep sending me release forms, I send them back, and then they drop the ball and start all over.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Altitude can be a problem, but i think he should be able to adjust. The air is just thinner up there. I notice that i get tired easier when I am hinking in the mountians, but I don't notice a difference at all when I am resting.
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Ok Tara, I have another question, for the 3 years we lived at 7000 ft, when they measured his oxygen they were thrilled if it was at 90 .... here, they freak out unless it's 98-100. Were they allowing for the altitude when a 90 was good, or all those times was he possibly really having trouble?
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Aug 2 2006, 02:10 PM)
Ok Tara, I have another question, for the 3 years we lived at 7000 ft, when they measured his oxygen they were thrilled if it was at 90 .... here, they freak out unless it's 98-100. Were they allowing for the altitude when a 90 was good, or all those times was he possibly really having trouble?

At 90% oxygen, I am guessing that he was having quite a bit of trouble. I assume he was sick then?

normally we like to see a healthy person's oxygen level at greater than 95%.
in children in the hospital we usually put oxygen on them until they are at least 92% on their own.

It depends on the dr too. One may have a different idea of what is acceptable than another. KWIM?
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 2 2006, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (luvmykids @ Aug 2 2006, 02:10 PM)
Ok Tara, I have another question, for the 3 years we lived at 7000 ft, when they measured his oxygen they were thrilled if it was at 90 .... here, they freak out unless it's 98-100.  Were they allowing for the altitude when a 90 was good, or all those times was he possibly really having trouble?

At 90% oxygen, I am guessing that he was having quite a bit of trouble. I assume he was sick then?

normally we like to see a healthy person's oxygen level at greater than 95%.
in children in the hospital we usually put oxygen on them until they are at least 92% on their own.

It depends on the dr too. One may have a different idea of what is acceptable than another. KWIM?

Yes, it was always when he was sick, but they would go "90, great, do the neb and come back next week" The doc here was horrified when I told her that and it makes me feel terrible to think he may have been worse off than I knew. bawling.gif
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

personally I would be fine with 90%. Although, the Dr's here would be mortified, and would have deffinately admitted him to the hospital. 90 is what we except in adults. It just depends on what your hospital's protocol is.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0125 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]