Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Railings on your kids' beds
bluebear
Posted: Oct 22 2009, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,716

Does anybody not use a railing on their kids' beds? If you did use them, when did you stop? I never heard or saw this until last night on the internet.

I don't really see a purpose of having one because you wake up when you feel yourself moving, but I can understand if the kid is under 2 years old.
It seems more like a crib. You always say "you have to get rid of your crib, it's for babies" to get your child to move into a bed, but the railings don't really help with that. just my 2cents.gif
PMAOLYahooMSN
mckayleesmom
Posted: Oct 22 2009, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I never used them. I always started their mattresses out on the floor until they got use to the size and the feel of them...About a week later I moved them onto the bed and they didn't have a problem.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Oct 22 2009, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

We didn't transition O to a "child bed". We went straightfrom her crib to a regular double bed at age 2. We definately used them. It was a 3 ft fall from the mattress to the floor. The floor is hardwood. Children, or at least O, don't necessarily have the same internal signals as adults. No way she would have stopped rolling before she fell off. We stopped using them when she was 5 or 6. We also used them on the wall side of the bed. They would stop a common safety hazard of the child rolling between the crack of the mattress and the wall and smothering. Still a huge concern with a 2 year old.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 04:44 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I still have one on Megan's bed and she's 4.5. She's in a full size bed. If it's not on there, she sometimes falls off - no they don't just wake up when they feel themselves move - mine always haven't. I think it's for my peace of mind, more than anything.

Kylie's has it too, but it's because hers is a bunk bed and they have railings on the top bunk - at least the one we bought.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

kids are diff than aqdults. Not all have the ability to just wake up when they move. Thats why there are incidents of kids rolling off of change tables, beds,couches. its there for a peace of mind. and its diff than cribs. because with beds they can get out without haveing to climb out like a monkey.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

We used them for a short while too. They are a total pain to work around, but It keeps them from rolling off the bed, and that is what counts.
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I used them for Ashley too. I actually still have one on one side of Ashley's bed because her table/desk is right next to her bed and if she were to roll off then she's hit her head on the table. Her room is not very big so there's no place else to put the table. The one we have is easy to take off and put on. Well worth the peace of mind.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Oct 23 2009, 09:24 AM)
I used them for Ashley too. I actually still have one on one side of Ashley's bed because her table/desk is right next to her bed and if she were to roll off then she's hit her head on the table. Her room is not very big so there's no place else to put the table. The one we have is easy to take off and put on. Well worth the peace of mind.

That's one of the reasons I have one on Megan's bed, it's right by her night stand, and also her bed is higher up than normal and she has stairs to get in bed and between the night stand and the stairs she'd hurt herself if she fell, and she has. I don't have one on the other side. I also don't have one on her bed in her sister's room (bottom bunk) because it sits lower to the floor.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
jeffersonbrownperson
Posted: Jan 3 2012, 11:12 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,578

I guess when adding up some railing to your kid's beds would help up a lot in terms of safety of the kids. I just hoped that things would have been good and great when doing such thing as of today.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0116 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]