Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Good way to lose arm chub?
mummy2girls
Posted: May 23 2006, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

what is a good way at the gym to lose arm chub? im starting back at the gym and i was wondering what would be a good thing to use to lose the chub...

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
mammag
Posted: May 23 2006, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

No exercise will spot reduce fat but you can build the muscle to fill any loose skin and give your arms a more toned appearance. I like tricep extenstiions. Dips are awesome for triceps. Skull crushers are good but should be done with a spotter. Biceps are pretty easy....curls of many variations. One good thing with the arms is that they get worked when you do chest, back, and shoulders as well.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: May 24 2006, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

ITA what Jeanie said.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

MommyToAshley
Posted: May 24 2006, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (JennasMommy @ May 23 2006, 11:47 PM)
what is a good way at the gym to lose arm chub? im starting back at the gym and i was wondering what would be a good thing to use to lose the chub...

Does your gym offer a trainer for free? I would highly recommend speaking with one if it is offered.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mummy2girls
Posted: May 24 2006, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (mammag @ May 24 2006, 12:44 AM)
No exercise will spot reduce fat but you can build the muscle to fill any loose skin and give your arms a more toned appearance. I like tricep extenstiions. Dips are awesome for triceps. Skull crushers are good but should be done with a spotter. Biceps are pretty easy....curls of many variations. One good thing with the arms is that they get worked when you do chest, back, and shoulders as well.

my sister had big arms bigger than i have now and she lost her fat... and her arms become alot smaller and toned... I would ask her but she is just not answering my emails or phone calls...

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
mammag
Posted: May 25 2006, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

Oh yes, you can definitely lose the fat, just not by doing arm exercises alone. It goes back to the days when women would do hundreds of situps a day thinking they would lose the fat in the stomachs and have flat abs.

You lose fat by burning more calories than you are taking in. For instance, I typically gain weight first in my butt and stomach and it's the last place I lose it. Everyone's body is different and will deposit fat differently. I could do only lower body work and would still lose the fat in my upper body (chest, arms, face) first. I'm guessing your sister is the same way and do to a deficit in calories lost weight and her arms are where she loses first.

The thing with lifting weights is that when your body is working to repair the muscle that you tore while working out you are burning calories. And then, a body with a higher muscle mass will have a much faster matabolism. A person could lose fat in their arm without ever lifting weights....they just might not be happy with the softness of their body without lifting.

I hope that explained what I meant a little better. Good luck in your fitness goals! thumb.gif

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: May 25 2006, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

QUOTE (mammag @ May 25 2006, 05:15 AM)
Oh yes, you can definitely lose the fat, just not by doing arm exercises alone. It goes back to the days when women would do hundreds of situps a day thinking they would lose the fat in the stomachs and have flat abs.

You lose fat by burning more calories than you are taking in. For instance, I typically gain weight first in my butt and stomach and it's the last place I lose it. Everyone's body is different and will deposit fat differently. I could do only lower body work and would still lose the fat in my upper body (chest, arms, face) first. I'm guessing your sister is the same way and do to a deficit in calories lost weight and her arms are where she loses first.

The thing with lifting weights is that when your body is working to repair the muscle that you tore while working out you are burning calories. And then, a body with a higher muscle mass will have a much faster matabolism. A person could lose fat in their arm without ever lifting weights....they just might not be happy with the softness of their body without lifting.

I hope that explained what I meant a little better. Good luck in your fitness goals! thumb.gif

That's a great explanation, Jeanie! thumb.gif

Man, I've really missed you and could have used your advice a lot over these past few months. blush.gif hug.gif I'm glad you're back.
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: May 25 2006, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

I would check to see if there are any personal trainers at the gym that you could speak to or be evaluated by for free, like Dee Dee suggested. I did this when I joined a gym after being out of the work-out circuit for awhile and they were able to give some awesome advice and direction on exactly what equipment to use and what exercises to work on in accordance to what your body goals are.

If you're not used to lifting weights, I eased myself back in by using some 5-lb. weights at home with some simple exercises and then also integrating weights into my gym time. You'll lose the chub and define at the same time.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0179 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]