Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> IUDs, Who's got em?
CantWait
Posted: Sep 14 2007, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

Can ya give me the pros and cons?

I'm really not wanting to do the pill, Depo is so outta the question as I gained a ton of weight on it.

I've heard lots of cons in the past, but I'm assuming the IUD has come along way.
Have you had any problems? Gained weight? Anything else.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Sep 15 2007, 05:50 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I wanted one....but after a month of repeated attempts, my insurance co. never called my Dr's office back to tell them if it was covered. growl.gif If I see a lot of good reviews here, maybe I'll push for the Dr to try again.
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Sep 15 2007, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

I have one. I have the mirena. It's my second, I had one put in after Jaci, then to it out to get pg with Giselle. I have another one now, and I'll be having it out at my next yearly visit in Feb (we're ready for another one rolling_smile.gif ). The only side effect I have noticed is a decreased libido, but that could also have to do with having two kids, a job, and trying to work on my master's degree! I had no trouble getting pregnant after I had the first one out, and the cords have never bothered dh. This time, I don't even get af, but with the last one I got a very light spot every two months. Hope that helps!

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Sep 15 2007, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

I have the copper 10. It's totally non-hormonal so I've not gained any weight and my sex drive is as healthy as ever. The first few times I had AF after I had it inserted was pretty rough (really bad cramps), but it's since calmed down to where it was before. I really like it and will probably do it again when I need to have it removed. But it's good for 10 years.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
My2Beauties
Posted: Sep 17 2007, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

I'm on the pill and was actually wanting to look into other BC options. I've heard really bad things about the IUD though. I heard it increases your risk of cervical cancer greatly and my doctor as well as my cousin's doctor (she asked about it too) said it's a very painful procedure to have put in. My cousin told me that her doctor said he's had women pass out before in his office because it was so painful. Scared me to death. Then I had another girl tell me it felt like a little pinch and it was in, she has the copper one too and she likes it. So I'm on the fence. Anyone heard about any of the side effects? Cervical cancer issue?

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Sep 17 2007, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Sep 17 2007, 03:12 PM)
I'm on the pill and was actually wanting to look into other BC options. I've heard really bad things about the IUD though. I heard it increases your risk of cervical cancer greatly and my doctor as well as my cousin's doctor (she asked about it too) said it's a very painful procedure to have put in. My cousin told me that her doctor said he's had women pass out before in his office because it was so painful. Scared me to death. Then I had another girl tell me it felt like a little pinch and it was in, she has the copper one too and she likes it. So I'm on the fence. Anyone heard about any of the side effects? Cervical cancer issue?

Okay, my midwife said that most of the time insertion isn't too bad. Unfortunately my cervix has a slight tilt so she had to do a bit more manuevering for mine. That said, it honestly was NOT bad. I felt a pinch and some tugging (very odd feeling) then I cramped a bit that day. Nothing major, I've had worse during a bad AF. Your cousin's doctor must have some wimps for patients. I can't imagine it making me pass out. Of course, I had it done 6 weeks post partum and there was no way it was that bad.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
maestra
Posted: Sep 17 2007, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

Mine didn't hurt at all- just a little pinch, and that's it. After having a baby, I didn't really notice it much.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (MyBrownEyedBoy @ Sep 17 2007, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Sep 17 2007, 03:12 PM)

Okay, my midwife said that most of the time insertion isn't too bad. Unfortunately my cervix has a slight tilt so she had to do a bit more manuevering for mine. That said, it honestly was NOT bad. I felt a pinch and some tugging (very odd feeling) then I cramped a bit that day. Nothing major, I've had worse during a bad AF. Your cousin's doctor must have some wimps for patients. I can't imagine it making me pass out. Of course, I had it done 6 weeks post partum and there was no way it was that bad.

So what about the cervical cancer issue - doesn't it increase your risk?

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Just funny!

I can't say about the Mirena IUD, but here's an article I read when I was researching the Copper 10 IUD. Of course, since you've had problems with hormonal BC methods, Lee Ann, you would not want the Mirena. Here's a link to the article.

Copper 10 IUD and cancer risks

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

I had the Mirena IUD for 3 and a half years with no problems at all. There are cons as with any other birth control but I did not have any issues.
Having it inserted was not painful for me, neither was having it removed. There is a moment of cramping/discomfort but that is it.
Everyones experience is differant too I guess

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
natersmommy
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 15,157

i just had my first baby an i am curious of the safer options of birth control...i was pretty much only recommended to pill but what other options have good reviews? with a IUD you still get monthly visits from the red dragon right? i want what is safest but i also want what is most effective....do anyone have any suggestions?

--------------------
user posted image
"the first of many and the addition to a great beginning"
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

QUOTE (natersmommy @ Sep 18 2007, 07:18 PM)
i just had my first baby an i am curious of the safer options of birth control...i was pretty much only recommended to pill but what other options have good reviews? with a IUD you still get monthly visits from the red dragon right? i want what is safest but i also want what is most effective....do anyone have any suggestions?

Before I got pregnant I had really bad af cramps and heavy bleeding
With the IUD I had very little period at all, some light spotting, but nothing regular at all.

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

QUOTE (AlexsPajamaMama @ Sep 18 2007, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (natersmommy @ Sep 18 2007, 07:18 PM)

Before I got pregnant I had really bad af cramps and heavy bleeding
With the IUD I had very little period at all, some light spotting, but nothing regular at all.

Michelle, you had the Mirena one, right? Just keeping it straight. Because my IUD is non-hormonal and I know the Mirena does have hormones.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
My2Beauties
Posted: Sep 20 2007, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

QUOTE (MyBrownEyedBoy @ Sep 18 2007, 01:41 PM)
I can't say about the Mirena IUD, but here's an article I read when I was researching the Copper 10 IUD.  Of course, since you've had problems with hormonal BC methods, Lee Ann, you would not want the Mirena.  Here's a link to the article.

Copper 10 IUD and cancer risks

That was really helpful. You guys may have actually changed my mind a bit about this thing now. I might be calling my gyno soon to discuss some possibilities. That's if DH chickens out and doesn't get the big "V!"

This post has been edited by My2Beauties on Sep 20 2007, 09:57 AM

--------------------
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0260 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]