Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When you disagree on family size???
Cherie
Posted: Jul 19 2009, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,677

Dh & I have been going through some issues... but they all come back to one thing... another child. I want another and he doesn't.

We have 2 boys already, Nathan (4 1/2) and Tyler (2).

I have always wanted 3 children... but he is content with the 2 boys.

We don't know how to get past this... there is no compromise.

Dh has talked about getting a vasectomy and that makes me angry and sad. I think about different ways I can jeopardize my bcp. Both of these are not right... and we know it. We can't make either one of these decisions without each other's consent... it's not right.

I keep praying and saying if it's God's will to have another, it will happen.

So, where do we go from here?

I'm sure there are other married couples who have gone through this or going through it... so I was hoping for some advice.

And just to clear things up... I don't want to keep having babies, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - when will I stop??? I don't want to be misunderstood, I only want 3. I would gladly agree to a vasectomy or tubal after that. But I just don't feel complete or done with 2.

--------------------
Married to dh since May 25, 2002

Mommy to 2 wonderful boys.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 19 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Does your DH say why he doesn't want another one child? Maybe if you talk about your reasons, it will make it easier to come to a decision that both of you can live with.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cherie
Posted: Jul 19 2009, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

I ask him all the time... and all he says is he's happy with the 2 boys. He loves them very much but he finds kids very "busy". I work part-time opposite his work schedule so when I'm at work, he's at home with them.

I think there's more to it... but he won't admit it.

He was the "middle" child... older brother, younger sister. So, I don't know if he wants to put Tyler in that position. His parents allowed each of them to be labelled "smart & good", "trouble maker", "princess"... so you can see where dh was. I have reassured him on many occasions, I would NEVER do that to Tyler or any of my children. I don't care what order they were born... I love each and all of them the same!

Also, I wonder if it's because of the boys special needs and if he worries about another. Which is fair and I understand... but once again he won't admit it. Maybe I'm wrong though... who knows.

He says he feels kind of sad we never had a girl but wouldn't be guaranteed a girl with the 3rd anyways.

I'm hoping he will change his mind or we'll have an opps... Oh did I just say/type that. huh.gif

This post has been edited by Cherie on Jul 19 2009, 01:11 PM

--------------------

PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jul 20 2009, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Just my opinion since you asked, but having an "oops" would be the worst thing for your relationship.
you both need to talk thru your concerns and desires and mutally agree on a decision, it would be unfair to bring a baby into a relationship where it might not be wanted by both parents, and then ultimately cause a break up of a family...

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PrairieMom
Posted: Jul 20 2009, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Jul 20 2009, 02:38 PM)
Just my opinion since you asked, but having an "oops" would be the worst thing for your relationship.
you both need to talk thru your concerns and desires and mutally agree on a decision, it would be unfair to bring a baby into a relationship where it might not be wanted by both parents, and then ultimately cause a break up of a family...

ITA
PM
Cherie
Posted: Jul 20 2009, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Fair enough... thanks for the info.

Although I want to point out I'm sabatoging my bc to have one or anything like that.

Dh knows exactly how I feel and we've talked about it several times over. He knows I would love a 3rd... and he knows I would gladly welcome a unexpected surprise. That's no secret to anyone.

This post has been edited by Cherie on Jul 20 2009, 01:38 PM

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jul 20 2009, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

A child, as you already know, is an expensive proposition. I'm not taking a side one way or another here, but I have to ask why you're not content with two little boys? Again, I'm not taking his side, but I wonder at your own reasons for feeling unfulfilled.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (redchief @ Jul 20 2009, 10:27 PM)
A child, as you already know, is an expensive proposition. I'm not taking a side one way or another here, but I have to ask why you're not content with two little boys? Again, I'm not taking his side, but I wonder at your own reasons for feeling unfulfilled.

This is actually a very good question. One my husband asked me when I thought I wanted a third. For me, I was just fearing my girls growing up and not having that feeling of holding a baby or having someone so helpless that needed me, and only me. KWIM? My husband quickly pointed out that they will always need me no matter what and that I needed to look down deep as to whether I REALLY wanted a third. I realized I didn't, that I was just scared to see my girls keep growing and for some reason having another baby would make it not seem so bad. Now I cherish every little moment with my girls as they grow. My husband is SO thankful I didn't want a third in the end. tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

That is a very tough decision when one person does and the other doesn't. I like what Karen said. that is so true, I think we as women get the wanting another child confused with our children growing up.

I am very fortunate to have a boy and a girl and my husband did not want a second child. I did finally convince him obviously but it took a lot of work actually. Funny story with that......

There may be factors he has not mentioned. He may not want another child to have the special needs that your boys do, he may think that 2 children is a perfect sized family, he may not feel the need for 2 that you do. For my DH it was an age factor. I am a fair bit younger than him so convinced him.

I hope you guys can figure this out, never easy. hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Jul 21 2009, 12:53 PM)
There may be factors he has not mentioned. He may not want another child to have the special needs that your boys do, he may think that 2 children is a perfect sized family, he may not feel the need for 2 that you do. For my DH it was an age factor. I am a fair bit younger than him so convinced him.

I hope you guys can figure this out, never easy. hug.gif

This is true too. My Dh didn't want more than we can literally handle. What I mean by that is we do good to split up and take the girls to what sports/events they want. If we had a third, I'm not sure how we'd do all the kids wanted to do. I know people do it, but we'd like to be at everything, meaning one adult to one kid ratio at all times.

I remember a perfect instance. We were all downstairs watching a movie. One of the girls was laying in my arms on one couch and Dh had the other one in his arms on the other couch. We both looked at each other and thought how perfect it was, we both had one kid in our arms...if we had more...how would we do that. happy.gif Just our silly logic.

Other issues for us was the hard pregnancy I had with Megan and she was early, has had health issues ever since. It was and has been rough and he didn't want to go through that again. So I see the husband's point of view on this as well.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Cherie
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Why do I want a 3rd...

Well my boys are still fairly young (4 1/2 & 2) so they are still quite dependent on us... so it's not because I'm longing for another "baby". It has nothing to do with the baby stage actually. Newborns are cute but they are also tough and lots of work... I'm not naive and think they are going to stay babies forever or that I'll just want to continue making "babies". I like my sleep too much! LOL

I want a 3rd because I came from a family of 2 girls - I was the oldest. Although I love my family and my sister dearly, I always wanted a bigger family. All of our family gatherings were small and dependent on us. Then I met my husband's family and they had 3 children... it was perfect! Not too many and not too small. I love family gatherings with them... there's more people - more spouse, more kids, etc... it's awesome!

Our home is a 4 bedroom - so we have room for another child. I would never want a 4th because I have strong feelings about privacy and each child needing their own space as they grow.

I would love to say it has nothing to do with the fact that I'd like to try just once more for a girl... but it's not true. I would love to have a girl... but if we have 3 boys I'm great with that too. I'd know we were meant to raise a houseful of boys! smile.gif

Not to mention, I could just see myself with 3 children... I'm a good mom and I have lots of patience. I devote my life to my boys... they are my world. So, why wouldn't I want to have 1 more???

This post has been edited by Cherie on Jul 21 2009, 02:34 PM

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
TrulyBlessed
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 19,989

DH and I went through this about 2 years ago. We had two girls and he was done and I wanted one more. He said ABSOLUTELY not and we fought about it. Finally, we let it go and slowly he came around on his own terms and then one night we just risked it and we now have a beautiful one year old boy. biggrin.gif DH is happy, his biggest concern was finances and even though I lost my job and we lost our car and have struggled, we are making by and none of our children have gone without. I nursed and did not impulse shop and buy unnecessary baby items and rarely used baby food. Just keep praying and God will lead you in the right direction whether it is with 2 or 3 kids.

But I understand what you mean when you say you just don't feel your family is complete. I felt the same way. Funny thing now, hubby would have a 4th child, but he is worried we would push it too far financially.

The way I look at it, money comes and goes, you only have so long to build your family. God's word says to store your treasures for Heaven and my children are my treasure and I will have them in Heaven. I would hate to miss out on this "priceless" gift because of the economy. I don't need cell phones, dved players in my car or the internet, if that is what I had to give up.

Sorry, rambling..... LOL
PMEmail Poster
Cherie
Posted: Jul 21 2009, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

That is it Truly Blessed... you said it exactly!!!

I keep praying... letting it go and putting it into God's hands... but somedays it's easier than others. It aches on my heart.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Jul 22 2009, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

We had the same dilema as you. We had a boy and girl and dh didn't want any more. We sat down and discussed the pros and cons and who had better arguments....he won.

We are a military family and 2 was in our budget. We had one of each sex. We both had big families growing up and money was always stretched thin..he didn't want that for our kids. He won the argument. He got snipped 2 months after Russell was born.

Fast forward to today....He regrets his decision to get snipped and so do I SOMETIMES...but its not enough regret to make us unhappy. Our children are more independent now and I love sleep laugh.gif

I would ask your husband to at least wait a couple years to do anything permanent. Take your time with finding a common ground. I would definantly not try to do a bc accident....Your sons are still really young and there is plenty of time to reach some common ground or make a permanent decision. It wasn't till ours weren't babies anymore till my husband got the yearning that he might have been hasty in his decision.

He might not change his mind, but at least you guys can agree to disagree for a while...

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster

Cherie
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

We're going for marriage counselling in 2 weeks...

This is the main issue in our marriage and neither one of us can get past it.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Cherie @ Jul 28 2009, 05:29 PM)

I'm not saying what you should or should not do...

But I am curious- are you willing to divorce over not being able to get him to agree with your POV?

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 05:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Cherie @ Jul 28 2009, 08:29 PM)

Good luck. I hope it helps.

I'm not quite sure what will come of something like this because in the end it would have to be a compromise. Marriage is about compromise, but that's a pretty HUGE compromise on someone's part for sure.

I do wonder, did you both talk about kids before marriage? Did you agree on a number of kids? I think that makes a HUGE difference on the compromise that can be made.

hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Cherie
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 05:03 AM
Quote Post

No, I would not divorce or leave him over this... that's not fair to either of us or our 2 boys.

I just want us to find some common ground... I want him to understand my feelings and be compassionate with them. It makes me angry when he puts he puts his guard up and says "no". I have started to resent him for this and push him away because of it.

I came from a family of 2 (2 girls - I was the oldest) and dh comes from a family of 3 (him being the middle child - older brother, younger sister). We spoke about children before marriage and he agreed to 2 or 4 children. I assumed (I guess that was my mistake) that 3 was included in that. I never wanted 4... that seems like too many for me. We live in a 4 bedroom home and 3 children would be perfect. I always pictured myself with 3 kids. I see our 2 boys and it's strange feeling but I feel as though one is missing... I notice it even more when I look at photos. I can't explain it and when I do, dh thinks I'm just crazy.

It's definetely not baby fever... it's a sense of being complete.

Anyways... we start counselling in 2 weeks and I hope that helps... but we have finally come to a mutual agreement. Dh says he knows exactly how I feel and what I want... but he says the more I push, the more I push him away and make him not want another even more. So, he told me to leave it alone and see what happens. He can't guarantee he will change his mind - he still doesn't think he wants anymore but he said there is always the slight possibility he may change his mind especially as the boys get older and out of the "cute" toddler age.

I am hoping from the counselling we learn better communication... and how to express our feelings to each other more effectively.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Cherie @ Jul 30 2009, 08:03 AM)

Anyways... we start counselling in 2 weeks and I hope that helps... but we have finally come to a mutual agreement. Dh says he knows exactly how I feel and what I want... but he says the more I push, the more I push him away and make him not want another even more. So, he told me to leave it alone and see what happens. He can't guarantee he will change his mind - he still doesn't think he wants anymore but he said there is always the slight possibility he may change his mind especially as the boys get older and out of the "cute" toddler age.

Just coming from someone who has had convos with her husband about a 3....you mentioned you just want a compromise, for him to understand your feelings, etc. It sounds like from the paragraph I quoted that is exactly what you are getting, IMO, a compromise.

I'm not a therapist and I have no clue what one would say to you, but it sounds like to me that you will not be satisfied until he agrees to a third. In the end, I wish you and your husband well and hope the counseling brings peace to both of you. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Counseling sounds like a step in the right direction. I've never been to marriage counseling but I do know a friend that it really helped with their marriage -- like you said, it mainly helped them to be better communicators. I think if you are honest with your feelings like you have been here, then I am sure your DH will at least be compassionate and understand your point of view... he may not change his mind, but hopefully it will tear down that wall.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Cherie
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 06:20 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jul 30 2009, 05:09 AM)
I'm not a therapist and I have no clue what one would say to you, but it sounds like to me that you will not be satisfied until he agrees to a third.

Definetely hard thing to hear... but I think you are right... I don't know if I'll ever be 100% satisfied... I honestly don't know how to get past this? I have a dream and a vision in my head. I am asking for God's strength in helping me and putting the right choice in both of our hearts. I have no idea what else to do.

[QUOTE]

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Cherie @ Jul 30 2009, 09:20 AM)
I'm not a therapist and I have no clue what one would say to you, but it sounds like to me that you will not be satisfied until he agrees to a third.

Definetely hard thing to hear... but I think you are right... I don't know if I'll ever be 100% satisfied... I honestly don't know how to get past this? I have a dream and a vision in my head. I am asking for God's strength in helping me and putting the right choice in both of our hearts. I have no idea what else to do.

[QUOTE]

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: Aug 1 2009, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Cherie @ Jul 30 2009, 08:03 AM)

Anyways... we start counselling in 2 weeks and I hope that helps... but we have finally come to a mutual agreement.  Dh says he knows exactly how I feel and what I want... but he says the more I push, the more I push him away and make him not want another even more.  So, he told me to leave it alone and see what happens.  He can't guarantee he will change his mind - he still doesn't think he wants anymore but he said there is always the slight possibility he may change his mind especially as the boys get older and out of the "cute" toddler age. 

Just coming from someone who has had convos with her husband about a 3....you mentioned you just want a compromise, for him to understand your feelings, etc. It sounds like from the paragraph I quoted that is exactly what you are getting, IMO, a compromise.

I'm not a therapist and I have no clue what one would say to you, but it sounds like to me that you will not be satisfied until he agrees to a third. In the end, I wish you and your husband well and hope the counseling brings peace to both of you. hug.gif hug.gif

I agree 100%. What you have now is a compromise (you dont ask, maybe he will change his mind).

What I think you really want is to get your way, and for your DH to want the same thing at the same time.

Good luck with everything, that is certainly not going to be easy.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Cherie
Posted: Aug 1 2009, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

What I think you really want is to get your way, and for your DH to want the same thing at the same time.

Well of course I do... I would love a 3rd... and I would love my husband to want a 3rd also. That's the issue.

And I'm good with the compromise... I can wait... but the only problem is I can't get this little bit of hope out of my head. I need to think like it won't happen... and if by chance he changes his mind, awesome.

This post has been edited by Cherie on Aug 1 2009, 02:22 PM

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 1 2009, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

I think someone mentioned this but every time I want something REALLY bad I quit bugging my DH and leave it alone all together, then out of the blue he agrees!!!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0214 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]