Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Curious...
mummy2girls
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

before getting married who had to go through the marriage prep course... Me and marcus is starting our course next week with our pastors.. marcus says to him... we watched liscenced to wed last night is it goign to be like that because if so i must bring some armor...GOOF! Our pastors are pretty cool people so im looking forward to it im just nervous!

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
lisar
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I did. I thought it was funny. We kinda had fun with it. We had to take a compatability test and if it came back wrong then the preacher wouldnt marry us. It came back okay obviously. But me and dh joked constantly in that class, I think the preacher was anoyed with us by the end of the 6 weeks.
PMEmail Poster
TheOaf66
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

Member No.: 3,764

Jennie and I got to do ours at home via cassette tape (we lived 4 hrs away from where we were gettin married) It was kind of a joke

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

We did, the way our church does it is in an 8wk class and at the end you both take this "quiz" and it's passed on to whichever pastor is going to marry you so he knows what else you might need to get straightened out one on one.
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

We did. It's required in the US Catholic Church. we went to a pre cana weekend. It was actually very nice. Not only did we get a much needed break from all the hassles of planning a wedding, but the weekend was informative, spiritually enlightening and well planned. We had already talked about most of the issues presented (we dated for about 18 months before we got engaged) but it was fun to meet other couples and newlyweds whom we could relate to.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

we did and ours was so much fun..we really learned a lot about each other.. and also took the compatability tests...we found out that we were just about the same on everything..
and it was a good thing, it made sure you talked about all the important things before getting married..
we really enjoyed ours, and it also made us feel closer to the pastor who married us...

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jun 5 2008, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Does couples counseling count? laugh.gif No prep course for us. But the counseling really did help get some things off our chest. DH had some fears about marriage, I had some hangups with my past...We got it resolved and moved into a healthy relationship (marriage). Have fun!!! wub.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jun 6 2008, 02:54 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Does couples counseling count?  No prep course for us. But the counseling really did help get some things off our chest. DH had some fears about marriage, I had some hangups with my past

that sounds like what's gonna happen to lars and myself! lol!

It should be fine and who knows what you may dicover about each other that you don't already know thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cece00
Posted: Jun 7 2008, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

We werent married in a church & we were married by a non-denom pastor so luckily we didnt have to...DH and I arent into religion.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jun 8 2008, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Heheheh... Pre-Canaa weekend = Catholic version of Shotgun wedding. wink.gif

We went to pre-Canaa.

I'm curious about the compatibility tests some alluded to... What's the point of that? I've taken such tests with Lisa and failed miserably. I wonder if that's some churches attempts to curtail divorce?

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Jun 8 2008, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (redchief @ Jun 8 2008, 06:17 AM)
I'm curious about the compatibility tests some alluded to... What's the point of that? I've taken such tests with Lisa and failed miserably. I wonder if that's some churches attempts to curtail divorce?

I dunno....ours didn't have that, but it did have lots of questions about things like finances, etc just to point out the areas where more discussion might be needed BEFORE getting married laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 8 2008, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

We did pre-marital counseling with the man who used to be the youth pastor at our church. He had some good insights for us, and we just had a good time meeting with him. happy.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jun 9 2008, 03:48 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (redchief @ Jun 8 2008, 08:17 AM)

We took the Myers Briggs Personality Inventory. Self reported, self scoring. I don't recall that it was was supposed to determine compatability so much as point out personality tendencies and how those influence personal actions and reactions~kind of a Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus kind of thing. laugh.gif

What the heck is a Catholic shotgun wedding?

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
lesliesmom
Posted: Jun 9 2008, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

My first marriage I got married in the Catholic church so we had to go through one of those. It was a joke. It was a friday-saturday "retreat" at a hotel with about 12 couples. We all had assigned rooms - girls with girls, guys with guys but by the end of the friday night session we had all agreed to swap rooms and be with our SO's. I remember one question was how does your SO squeeze the toothpaste and how do you feel about it? i.e. from the end or grab in the middle and squeeze. My second wedding was in Vegas so we didn't go through any of that.

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0144 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]