Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Definition of sarcasm
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,368

Without using a dictionary, please define sarcasm...........

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
TheOaf66
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

Member No.: 3,764

see Troy <------ laugh.gif

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Telling someone what you really think while trying to play it off like you're joking laugh.gif As in, "Hey Hoochie Mama, I love that outfit, I could never pull of the pole dancer look!" emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

This post has been edited by luvmykids on May 6 2008, 09:23 AM
PMEmail Poster

Jamison'smama
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 214

my parenting style

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

QUOTE (TheOaf66 @ May 6 2008, 09:18 AM)

HA HA HA!

We could be related........

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

QUOTE (luvmykids @ May 6 2008, 09:22 AM)
Telling someone what you really think while trying to play it off like you're joking laugh.gif As in, "Hey Hoochie Mama, I love that outfit, I could never pull of the pole dancer look!" emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

Very good.

So when is sarcasm bad in a relationship? Is it always bad? Or do you (used in the general sense) find that there is negative and positive sarcasm?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
TheOaf66
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (TheOaf66 @ May 6 2008, 09:18 AM)

HA HA HA!

We could be related........

great as if my day wasn't bad enough already rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Troy, Married to Jennie (Boo&BugsMom), Dad to Tanner("Mini-Me") and Aiden ("Boo Boo").
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

And you call yourself sarcastic.....

Rookie. wink.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
TheOaf66
Posted: May 6 2008, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 12:42 PM)
And you call yourself sarcastic.....

Rookie. wink.gif

would you rather I have said

"oh yipee, my life is complete now" laugh.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 10:37 AM)
So when is sarcasm bad in a relationship? Is it always bad? Or do you (used in the general sense) find that there is negative and positive sarcasm?

I think there is bad sarcasm, and GREAT sarcasm thumb.gif

In a relationship it can be very hurtful and inappropriate but generally speaking, I don't mind it and actually rather enjoy it laugh.gif It's a handy way of saying things you might not otherwise be able to say wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 10:37 AM)
So when is sarcasm bad in a relationship?  Is it always bad?  Or do you (used in the general sense) find that there is negative and positive sarcasm?

I think there is bad sarcasm, and GREAT sarcasm thumb.gif

In a relationship it can be very hurtful and inappropriate but generally speaking, I don't mind it and actually rather enjoy it laugh.gif It's a handy way of saying things you might not otherwise be able to say wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: May 6 2008, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I learned in some seminar they made us take for work a few years back that sarcasm is a negative form of communication. rolleyes.gif What ever. I communicate 100% with sarcasm, so I guess I am a negative person.
I LOVED taking that seminar. rolleyes.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif
PM
TheOaf66
Posted: May 6 2008, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

The Alpha Male

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ May 6 2008, 02:04 PM)
What ever. I communicate 100% with sarcasm, so I guess I am a negative person.

I am the same way Tara thumb.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: May 6 2008, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

This is an awesome topic.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

PrairieMom
Posted: May 6 2008, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (redchief @ May 6 2008, 04:09 PM)
This is an awesome topic.

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif
PM
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

So the reason I ask is that I find in my relationship (hence the reason I posted here v.s. General) that if I disagree or make a negative comment to my wife, I am being "sarcastic".

It seems the only time I'm NOT being sarcastic is if I agree with what she says.

Any of you other sarcasticologists find this to be the case in your relationship?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: May 6 2008, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 01:53 PM)
So the reason I ask is that I find in my relationship (hence the reason I posted here v.s. General) that if I disagree or make a negative comment to my wife, I am being "sarcastic".

It seems the only time I'm NOT being sarcastic is if I agree with what she says.

Any of you other sarcasticologists find this to be the case in your relationship?

No I don't find that in my relationship - I find that I equate being sarcastic with my sense of humor - I try not to use it in serious situations except maybe in a very general way - like when my DH tells me I have done something wrong and I say "your right cause the only way to do it is your way" rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

QUOTE (lovemy2 @ May 6 2008, 04:58 PM)
like when my DH tells me I have done something wrong and I say "your right cause the only way to do it is your way" rolling_smile.gif

That's just like something that comes out of my mouth.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 05:53 PM)

Hey, you cheated. I thought you weren't allowed to use Webster's! laugh.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

You disagree with your wife???? ohmy.gif What did you do with your handbook? You know, the one you get on your wedding day that tells you to never disagree with your wife.....

Oh and I don't consider disagreeing sarcastic. I consider it disagreeing or critical. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ May 6 2008, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 6 2008, 05:53 PM)

Hey, you cheated. I thought you weren't allowed to use Webster's! laugh.gif

Webster's has a "Marriage" version? smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ May 6 2008, 02:26 PM)
You disagree with your wife???? ohmy.gif What did you do with your handbook? You know, the one you get on your wedding day that tells you to never disagree with your wife.....

Oh and I don't consider disagreeing sarcastic. I consider it disagreeing or critical. wink.gif

I know....... I know.

It's really tough being a guy lately in my house. If there is a problem, she mentions it to me... so I MUST solve it. If I can't or relate to her that the problem has already been covered earlier, etc, I'm being sarcastic.

The latest was with our litter of kittens the stray cat SHE brought into the home had a couple of weeks ago.

When it was obvious we weren't taking the pregnant cat to the humane society, I told her, "by the way, you know how I love to solve things. If there are any issues that come up with the kittens or cats, I won't be able to help you, so you might want to think about getting on the internet to do some research".

So the kittens are born and there is the typical runt. I said, "we might want to consider buying some replacement formula at the pet store so we can make sure the little guy gets fed enough"

Well, just last night she comes to me and says, "Geeee. Look at the little runt. He looks so much smaller than the rest. He's kinda of lazy too."

To which I replied, "Ummm. We talked about this. I told you we should probably get some formula."

Then the hand came up and I get the "work on your negative sarcasm" email this morning.

I mentioned the "negative" sarcasm, because I am being told to work on my negative sarcasm....? Is there POSITIVE sarcasm?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: May 6 2008, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Interesting. I dunno, would self depreciating comments count? Maybe she'd appreciate it if you directed your sarcasm towards yourself instead of her. Make yourself look the fool, KWIM? rolling_smile.gif

Of course, I don't know anything about sarcasm so...whatever...just ignore me. LOL

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Our Lil' Family
Posted: May 6 2008, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

Now see, sarcasm would be:
Wife: "Geeee. Look at the little runt. He looks so much smaller than the rest. He's kinda of lazy too."
DVF: "I can't imagine what we should do. The thought of it has never entered my mind. How could we not have been prepared for this?"

THAT would be sarcasm...I don't think you were being sarcastic at all.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
luvmykids
Posted: May 6 2008, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Our Lil' Family @ May 6 2008, 04:21 PM)
Now see, sarcasm would be:
Wife: "Geeee. Look at the little runt. He looks so much smaller than the rest. He's kinda of lazy too."
DVF: "I can't imagine what we should do.  The thought of it has never entered my mind.  How could we not have been prepared for this?"

THAT would be sarcasm...I don't think you were being sarcastic at all.

So true rolling_smile.gif

I mentioned the "negative" sarcasm, because I am being told to work on my negative sarcasm....? Is there POSITIVE sarcasm?

Of course there is positive sarcasm, it's something like: Gee honey, you are SO right. Let me get right to work on that.

The reason that counts as POSITIVE sarcasm is it's not disagreeing with her, it's showing you are willing to work on it, and it's actually complimenting her rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by luvmykids on May 6 2008, 07:25 PM
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0197 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]