Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Adultery, is this normal for marriage nowadays?

Do you believe that all men cheat?
Yes [ 2 ]  [3.45%]
No [ 52 ]  [89.66%]
Unsure [ 4 ]  [6.90%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
luvmykids
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 17 2008, 05:31 AM)
...the person that "neglected" also ignored their vows by not cherishing, have and to hold, yadda yadda... just one is more socially unacceptable than the other.

That's a good point, never thought of it that way.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

Monica you have a great point, but emotions aren't always black and white and people aren't always in their right mind to make right decisions regarding not getting involved. Sometimes they are in over their head before they know it and before they ever realize how they got that way. If both husband and wife held up their end of the bargain in the marriage and both gave 100%, 100% of the time and focused on meeting one another's needs then I know we would see less of this. As difficult as it is, you have to put each other first. And communication is key.

I would never justify an act such as adultery. But, I certainly see how it can happen. It's unfortunate that some people feel they are at such a loss in their lives that this is their only way out. That in some marriages they've hurt each other so deeply that they have to look elsewhere for comfort and love. It breaks my heart. Probably b/c I'm still not over my husband pushing me away for 10 years b/c of his own issues. And me fighting so hard for it, begging him to give me more of himself, begging for counseling, begging him to come home more and to spend time with me. But, when we spent time together he just sat there and never said a word. I can't even begin to describe my loneliness. And I had HOPE so I never really thought about me and how miserable my life had become. It just happened so gradually that I didn't recognize it. I did start looking somewhere else for acceptance and love and I found it thousands of miles away in an old guy friend. I was my old self. I was happy and carefree. It was still wrong, I recognized it, told Scotty I was in over my head (after a nervous breakdown) and now we are happier than we've ever been. I hate that it took that. I hate that he never worked on our marriage despite my begging him, but to him, I was just "here." He took me for granted and neglected me. I think you have to understand another person's pain before you can say they set out to be a homewrecker or just want to go out and have sex with another person. That they may be so beat down and their self esteem so low And I had to understand the pain my husband was in and the reasons why he pushed me away. I love him more today than I ever have and I don't regret anything we've been through. You choose to love the person you are with. I truly believe you can love anyone, but you can also fall out of love when a person pushes you too far and betrays your trust, doesn't protect you and make you feel loved, etc. I know Scotty and I were headed there. I wasn't sure that I could go back. I didn't know if I would ever trust him and some days are still really hard. But, I knew I loved him and I felt that if I had love for him, then we have a fighting chance to make something of it. Slowly I started recognizing the person I fell in love with. I'm so grateful every single day. I also realize a lot of people aren't so lucky. Their spouse is too hurt to recognize what they did wrong and try to change. Instead they go out and have a fling of their own or just write the person off. I'm glad Scotty listened to me and saw my heart. I was so broken. sleep.gif

"You" generalized of course.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Aimee... hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I'm glad you guys are back on track, Aimee hug.gif

And I definitely know what you're saying, and have BTDT to a degree...we all know my marriage has been pathetic at best sometimes wink.gif I'll be honest and admit that I have *thought* about what it might be like to have someone else, thinking that I wasn't ready to quit my marriage but needed someone or something to get me through....but I couldn't bring myself to think any further than that for fear that I might get in over my head and knowing that someone outside of my marriage wasn't going to help the problems in my marriage. You're 100% right, that it's a choice to love someone. IMHO, it's also a choice to NOT love someone else and in order to be sure that won't happen, for me personally, I can't even open the door to that.

I can absolutely understand where you were during that time, and I agree with what you've said before about an emotional affair being more dangerous than a physical one (especially for someone like me, who has far more interest in emotional intimacy than physical).

I admire you for catching yourself before things got to the point of no return and I hope things just get better from here for you and Scotty hug.gif

eta: Probably goes without saying, but this is a generalized statement not directed at you or anyone else...I'm not questioning why you or anyone else has made choices, just elaborating wink.gif

And Rocky, ITA about communication...I think DH being gone so long/so far away made me realize that instead of "wondering" how happy he is or what he needs from me, I needed to ask. It's made a big difference for us.

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Apr 17 2008, 06:56 AM
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Apr 17 2008, 08:53 AM)
IMHO, it's also a choice to NOT love someone else and in order to be sure that won't happen, for me personally, I can't even open the door to that.

Absolutely! I can tell you it's not easy trying to fall out of love with someone who has always made you feel good and trying to fall back in love with someone who has let you down for so many years. I had to put some things in perspective. I hadn't seen this person for TEN years, let alone live with them every single day for TEN years, had children with them, been through job changes, etc. So, of course it was easy to feel good when I talked to him...we had no baggage. At any rate, it only complicates things and I'm embarrassed b/c I knew better. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 07:05 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Apr 17 2008, 08:00 AM)
IMHO, it's also a choice to NOT love someone else and in order to be sure that won't happen, for me personally, I can't even open the door to that. 

Absolutely! I can tell you it's not easy trying to fall out of love with someone who has always made you feel good and trying to fall back in love with someone who has let you down for so many years. I had to put some things in perspective. I hadn't seen this person for TEN years, let alone live with them every single day for TEN years, had children with them, been through job changes, etc. So, of course it was easy to feel good when I talked to him...we had no baggage. At any rate, it only complicates things and I'm embarrassed b/c I knew better. sad.gif

I think that is one of the saddest parts of this kind of thing, the illusion that everything will be better with someone else.....until you add in normal day to day life. Don't get me wrong, it might be laugh.gif But in a case like our friends who are in the thick of it, it's heartbreaking to be watching and know that they're really not going to end up with anything but same life, different person sleep.gif

I always tell my still single girlfriend who complains about being lonely that it's still not as bad as being married and feeling lonely...that is a very deep dark place to be and it's overwhelming and confusing too sleep.gif

You shouldn't be embarrassed, it takes a lot of strength and self discipline to stop a train like that hug.gif hug.gif

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Apr 17 2008, 07:11 AM
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Apr 17 2008, 11:00 AM)

You're only human, don't feel embarrassed hug.gif hug.gif I'm so glad you and Scotty are doing great Aimee, that's so good to hear! My prayers are with you guys hug.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Don't be embarassed. We all need to feel appreciated, even if it does sometimes come through by the wrong channel. hug.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 17 2008, 06:47 AM)
Aimee... hug.gif hug.gif

Get a room......... wink.gif silly.gif

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

It all comes down to personal responsibility. While I understand and agree with Rocky, if you (can we all agree that "You" is used in the generic sense smile.gif ) are not being treated in a way you *want* to be treated, going off to be with someone else to get whatever it is that your relationship is lacking is a step "you" take all on your own.

If you need more from your relationship, you need to go to your spouse and express your feelings and hope they will work to make those things happen for you. If not, it is time to evaluate what it is your are asking for and if your spouse is unwilling to provide those things whether or not those things are important enough to leave what you have to find what you want somewhere else.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

You're so right, Mike! There's no excuse for it no matter how you are being treated. It's either work on what you have or take a hike. When I felt that I was seeking something from someone else, I had an anxiety attack...or nervous breakdown and realized that I was headed down a path of destruction (which was very early on, btw and nothing happened between me and this other person that I wouldn't tell my husband about.) Of course Scotty realized that I wasn't okay...I was a mess! We talked, I told him everything and we were able to work on it. That's the short version. laugh.gif I'm just grateful he cared enough to fight for me and to protect me. I honestly thought that he would let me walk away. Now I realize how silly my thinking was and how much he's always loved me. I'm glad I didn't do something I would later come to regret. I have too many friends who have.

PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted on Apr 17 2008, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 16 2008, 07:20 PM)
There's two sides to every story, and I'd be hard pressed to hear from anyone who has had an affair (not including one night stands) that they were feeling 100% loved, secure, happy and safe at home with their spouse. Communication is a big key in all this... and if you don't have fantastic communication, there's no way to know 100% that your spouse IS 100% feeling loved etc... for all you know, your spouse might be feeling neglected and is missing some attention.

It's easy to place the blame on the other person... because it's so much easier to shove off the responsibility to someone else. If someone who is cheated on sets aside the anger and other negative feelings, and really looks within... i'm just about 100% sure that they could find some aspect of their life they could have done differently to prevent the other for going elsewhere for the attention they were lacking.

Sex is just that - sex. having sex with someone doesn't mean sharing intimacy with them. Just like sharing intimacy with someone doesn't mean that there is sex. To some, sex is the absolute sharing of intimacy... and you can have both... they go hand in hand... but they're not the same hand, heck they're a body apart and can be as far away from each other as they can be entwined together.

If someone who has been cheated on can look in the mirror and can truly say that they put 100% of themselves in their marriage... took care of all their spouse's needs, emotionally, mentally, physically...always made them feel good about themselves...kept the romance and lust alive... always let the other know just how much they love them... never fought... then by all means, go ahead and place blame elsewhere. Not saying it's completely that person's fault... but honestly if everything was so hunky dory, why the cheating?

great discussion, btw. happy.gif

Even if everything ISNT hunky dory, that is not an excuse to cheat IMO. People still know right from wrong.

My husband can really tick me off, but that doesnt make me go "Oh well...i'm not getting enough "whatever"/having my needs met/etc, so its not all my fault if I cheat".

If my husband cheated on me because he wasnt feeling the love or whatnot, I would NOT feel like "its my fault too!" because he knew that wasnt OK. No matter how he was feeling, it wouldnt give him less fault for cheating.

Its not like people "oops" & accidently cheat. They know what they are doing there.

I mean frankly, if you want to cheat on your spouse b/c you are unhappy, why not just get a divorce?

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0272 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]