Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sterilization
Boys r us
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 378

blink.gif Poor Ed!! and sorry Lisa, I admit I did get a mental image of the whole jumping off of the table thing..which I think could be wrong..lol..in so many ways!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
Crystalina
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (redchief @ Apr 3 2008, 05:31 PM)
In July of this year, my vas deferens will have been cut for 15 years. I did have a complication, which I'll detail below for anyone who wants to read it. Of course any surgical procedure comes with some risk, but as Jeanne said, I'm pretty well read and while I've read of some of the concerns Mollie wrote of, most appear, at least to the medical community at large, to be non-issues. Again, any surgical procedure can produce complications, but vasectomy is widely considered one of the safest forms of birth control. Any concerns should certainly be discussed with your husband's urologist before any decision is made for the procedure. One thing that my urologist was emphatic about was that even though there has been some luck with vasectomy reversal, the procedure should be considered a permanent form of birth control for partners discussing alternatives.

I have more than 20 friends who have had vasectomies and only one had a serious post vasectomy complication - admittedly his own fault. He experienced infection of one of his testicles because he did experience some bruising and bleeding and failed to keep the incision site clean. He wound up with quite a serious infection. It was successfully treated with antibiotics and a drain, and today he feels no ill effects. One other acquaintance got his wife pregnant after his vasectomy. They had unprotected whoopie before all of his "little guys" were gone.

The National Institute of Health has an excellent vasectomy safety guide that discusses the procedure and it's possible complications.
http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs...tomy_safety.cfm

My Vasectomy Complication
I was injured as a boy "down there" and some scar tissue developed. Since then I've had a little bit of pain in my right testicle - kind of an all-the-time dull throb. I discussed this with my doctor before the procedure and he had already noted the scar tissue during his exam of my testicles. He warned me that sometimes men who have had severe trauma to the testicles sometimes feel more discomfort after the procedure than others. Well "more discomfort" was a bit of an understatement. When he injected the Novocaine into my right testicle, I nearly came off the table. He said, "Sorry, that's what I was talking about." I think I probably used some unkind words.  wink.gif

He asked me if I wanted him to continue and the Novocaine was starting to work on it so I told him to proceed. After the procedure he gave me a tight wrap and a pair of binding briefs. He said when the Novocaine wore off I would probably feel moderate discomfort. He prescribed a narcotic pain reliever and told me not to be surprised if it swelled up some. Well, let me tell you, it felt like someone was continually kicking me down there for about four days before the pain started to ebb. I didn't tolerate the pain killers very well so I went on high doses of ibuprofen, which didn't do a whole lot. My favorite buddy was my ice bag.

After the four days in Hades the pain started to ease and within a week it was merely a dull ache. After two weeks I was once again able to experience erection and ejaculation without excruciating discomfort. Slowly this pain too eased to the background ache that I've had since I was a boy. This still exists to this day but is not a result of the procedure. So, there you have my vasectomy story. It just doesn't read as joyfully as a birth story, nor does it give one the warm fuzzies, so I understand if you didn't get to the end.

Aww man! I could never do that to dh (although sometimes I fantasize about him having excruciating pain down there user posted image user posted image). He is not good with pain and I would be drove nuts with him. I know how he is when he has a cold. No way!

I don't think they'll do a hysterectomy unless it's necessary....I wish they would cause I feel the same way.

Oh don't say that. huh.gif I was so hoping.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
redchief
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

On looking back on my post, I should add that it sounds worse than it really was. In writing that, I was taken back to a very uncomfortable time in my life. One I would not wish to live again, but I have only a single regret and I would still have the procedure today even if I could have known my level of discomfort.

My one regret? According to my faith, my vasectomy was a sin. I feel a little guilt about that, and no it isn't something I can explain or debate.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

Very descriptive, Ed!! Cracked me right up. No offense... emlaugh.gif

My dh won't get a vasectomy, although i kinda wish he would have. I'm getting my tubes tied at the end of the month, though.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
TrulyBlessed
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 19,989

Thank you Ed for posting your story. My DH had a double hernia down there when he was a boy and has a couple of little scars. We will have to ask if this could cause him any problems. Also, I wasn't sure where he was even supposed to go to have this done.

I have to admit that there is a part of me that feels a little guilty for getting this done because of my religion also. I'm not really sure if it is considered a sin or not, but I think it is what's best for us and I can only pray God agrees.
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

Dh and I talked about it a while ago. I'm going to get my tubes tied when we're done having kids. I don't know if we'll have another child or not. We know we want to be done having kids by the time we're 30, so that's in about 3 years so hopefully we'll have time to have another if we decide to. But I figured after 2 c-sections I could handle another surgery, especially if it's so simple. But it does make me a little sad though. It almost feels like something is being taken away from me. But I don't want Dh to get a vasectomy, and he really really doesn't want one. tongue.gif

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

Jas and I have decided that he will have a vasectomy after the birth of our 5th child. If, after the procedure, we decided we wanted more we would adopt-something we might like to pursue either way. He's not so happy that he gets to be the one to have the "pleasure" of getting fixed, but I figure it's his turn to experience a little discomfort. wink.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Apr 4 2008, 04:21 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Just to add my husband's experience to the mix - his was actually done on Tuesday this week (so 3 days ago). He did spend almost the first 2 days doing nothing but sitting with ice the whole time, and he doesn't want to go ride a bike or anything, but he said it's never really been painful - he hasn't had to take any of the pain pills the doctor prescribed at all.
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Apr 4 2008, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Well, thanks for all the stories, guys. It's always good to go into something, anything, with your eyes wide open. I will have dh check all these links out (since it's his surgery). Before coming to the vasectomy option, I was thinking about doing the Mirena. But after all the horror stories I read about that, I chickened out.
One little thought about the incompatibility of birth control and religion. My mom was a pretty observant Catholic during her child-bearing years. But after having 3 kids in 3 years and trying to support us all on my dad's paltry Catholic school teacher salary of $4000/yr, she decided that if she had anymore kids, the priest could get up in the middle of the night to take care of them, work 3 jobs to clothe them, etc.. Though one can understand the Catholic Church's agenda, to put as many little Catholics on the planet as possible, it wasn't compatible with my family's well-being, though that was certainly no concern of theirs'.
Not looking to debate this. Just sharing my family's experience.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
holley79
Posted: Apr 4 2008, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

DH is 40 and I am 29. Annika is 2 and we are looking at TTC after our cruise in May. We have decided if I have to have a c- section (which I pray not) then I would get my tubes tied. If no C then he will get the big V. He has plenty of friends who have had it done and they haven't had any problems. My cousins both got their Vs 15 years ago because they both decided they never wanted children and whoever was to be with them should understand. They never had problems either.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Jackie012007
Posted: Apr 4 2008, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,017

We want at least one more, if not 2 more, and if I end up having c-sections for the last baby, I will have my tubes cut. I figure, they have to be in there anyways. I'm kinda on the fence as to if I want to try a VBAC or not given my complications with Carly's birth... I HAD to have a c-section or she would have died, and it had to do with my body size. I would fear of putting my baby in danger by trying a VBAC.

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster
TrulyBlessed
Posted: Apr 4 2008, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 19,989

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:17 PM)
Well, thanks for all the stories, guys. It's always good to go into something, anything, with your eyes wide open. I will have dh check all these links out (since it's his surgery). Before coming to the vasectomy option, I was thinking about doing the Mirena. But after all the horror stories I read about that, I chickened out.
One little thought about the incompatibility of birth control and religion. My mom was a pretty observant Catholic during her child-bearing years. But after having 3 kids in 3 years and trying to support us all on my dad's paltry Catholic school teacher salary of $4000/yr, she decided that if she had anymore kids, the priest could get up in the middle of the night to take care of them, work 3 jobs to clothe them, etc.. Though one can understand the Catholic Church's agenda, to put as many little Catholics on the planet as possible, it wasn't compatible with my family's well-being, though that was certainly no concern of theirs'.
Not looking to debate this. Just sharing my family's experience.

Thank you for sharing your family experience. happy.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0164 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]