Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 11 mo son has high fever
mama2collin
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,114

The fever started on Sun at that time it was 102.5, then all day yesterday he ran a fever every 4 hrs at 101.5 to 102.5 hightest. Hes still running one 2day every 4 hrs and this afternoon it was 103.5. I did take him to the pedi yesterday and she said it was a virus, that if hes still running a fever in a few days to call back. he has no other signs that something else is bothering him other than the fever. No runny nose, vomiting ect. He is teething but she said a fever 101and over is NOT from teething.

My question is this : Shouldnt the fever be going down by now and not UP? We are going on day 4 tomorrow and Im really getting concered. I will call the pedi in the morning if it cond, but this is the first time hes really been sick or have a fever for this long. TIA
PMEmail Poster
Kentuckychick
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

QUOTE (mama2collin @ Aug 19 2008, 06:16 PM)
The fever started on Sun at that time it was 102.5, then all day yesterday he ran a fever every 4 hrs at 101.5 to 102.5 hightest. Hes still running one 2day every 4 hrs and this afternoon it was 103.5. I did take him to the pedi yesterday and she said it was a virus, that if hes still running a fever in a few days to call back. he has no other signs that something else is bothering him other than the fever. No runny nose, vomiting ect. He is teething but she said a fever 101and over is NOT from teething.

My question is this : Shouldnt the fever be going down by now and not UP? We are going on day 4 tomorrow and Im really getting concered. I will call the pedi in the morning if it cond, but this is the first time hes really been sick or have a fever for this long. TIA

Sorry to hear about your son's fever. I know that there is a summer virus that goes around this time of the year and has been going around here lately where the child runs a pretty high fever for several days with little or no other symptoms. My goddaughter had it last week and we've had several kids in the development center out (mostly toddlers) in the past few weeks with the same thing.

The pediatrician said to watch Caydee for signs of a rash on her trunk and that would indicate the virus was near it's end. Sure enough after about three/four days the rash appeared and the fever was gone.

As for the fever, we just alternated tylenol and motrin and kept an eye on hers. It stayed pretty steady at 101/102 when the medicine would wear off. She was miserable but she bounced right back after all was said and done.

I would still call your ped. just to be sure, but it seems to be a pretty common virus this time of the year.

Hope your little one feels better soon!

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mama2collin
Posted: Aug 19 2008, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 21,114

The pediatrician said to watch Caydee for signs of a rash on her trunk and that would indicate the virus was near it's end. Sure enough after about three/four days the rash appeared and the fever was gone.

This meaning that the rash would appeare on his back or tummy? Sorry but Im new to this. Thanks so much i didnt realize it was a summer thing. I wish the pedi would have said something about it. Im really worried about the fever coming back at every 4 hrs. Thanks again.
PMEmail Poster

MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 20 2008, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Is the fever coming back every four hours because you are medicating him every four hours? If so, I would alternate Tylenol and Motrin... but make sure you follow the instructions as Motrin is every 6 hours. I'd also make sure he is getting plenty of liquids. Make sure you dress him in light clothing as well.

It probably is a virus, but I would take him back to the ped if he has the fever that long without any relief. I tend to be overly cautious though.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kentuckychick
Posted: Aug 20 2008, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

QUOTE (mama2collin @ Aug 19 2008, 06:59 PM)

This meaning that the rash would appeare on his back or tummy? Sorry but Im new to this. Thanks so much i didnt realize it was a summer thing. I wish the pedi would have said something about it. Im really worried about the fever coming back at every 4 hrs. Thanks again.

No problem... yes on his back and tummy -- it was worse on her stomach but was also on her back. It didn't seem to itch or anything, it was just there for about a day.

I agree with Ashley's mom though... there's absolutely nothing wrong with being overly cautious when it comes to your kids and high fevers. Make sure he's drinking plenty of fluids, alternate the tylenol and motrin and call the ped back if the fever doesn't go away soon.

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0165 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]