Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Autumn's Well Baby App.
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

SUCKED!!!! She weighs 8lbs 8ounces 8ounces which only up lbs and 1ounce from her birth weight and only 11ounces in 6weeks.. she got 5 shots and I felt TERRIBLE for getting them all but I was SOO distracted I didn't tell him that I wanted to space them out... sad.gif but I did turn down the retrovirus Yacc. He said to start feeding her every three hours around the clock and to give her some formula after each feeding sad.gif and I'm suppose to go see my lactation consultant this week and go back to see him in a week... this sucks SOO bad. I started taking brewers yeast to see if that will increase my supply just in case that is the issue which i don't think it is. BUT before this she was eating every two hours during the day and sleeping anywhere from 6-8 hours at night. so I don't know what the issue is... other than that everything else is perfect she has already rolled over (front to back couple weeks ago) she has been pushing herself up on her chest and looking around with awesome control for several weeks so I dunno she is fine developmentally.

Anyway just wanted to share/vent

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,419

hug.gif hug.gif Sorry things didn't go better - shots are no fun!!! Are they suggesting you supplement with formula just because of her size, or was there another reason? She sounds like she's on the smaller side but if she's doing well developmentally I'm just curious what the big deal is.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Jul 21 2008, 08:59 PM)
hug.gif hug.gif Sorry things didn't go better - shots are no fun!!! Are they suggesting you supplement with formula just because of her size, or was there another reason? She sounds like she's on the smaller side but if she's doing well developmentally I'm just curious what the big deal is.

he said that she is underweight and she probably just need more calories..yeah I didn't really understand either but I guess I will get some more answers at our next appointments

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Jessica. I've so been there. hug.gif

First, don't let them bully you into doing something you aren't 100% sure of.

Breast Milk is the most calorie dense food there is for babies. If there is not a problem with your supply, then maybe she's just a little one. KWIM?

The only reason to switch to anything else is so that the docs can measure it. But, you can measure your BM supply. It's a major pain but it can be done. Borrow a baby scale from a lactation consultant or wherever you can find one. Weigh her every single time she eats, for as many days as you can stand it. Weigh her before and again afterwards and note how many oz she got. Remember, do not take off her diaper before you weigh her the second time no matter what it should be weigh, write down weight, feed for as long as she wants, weigh again, then go about your day. You may want to show that list to an LC so they can verify that she's getting enough at each feeding.

It's a nightmare, I'm not going to lie, especially at night, but at least you will know where you stand supply wise. If your supply is suffering, then you can work on that. If that's not it, maybe try block feeding on one side for like 4 hours then switch, that way she will get more of the fatty hind milk. In any event, don't feel like it's your fault because it's not. supplies can be adjusted and if you are ok with supplementing, feel free.
hug.gif

This post has been edited by kit_kats_mom on Jul 21 2008, 07:57 PM

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Aww I'm sorry you had a rough appointment! I'm sure she is just fine. hug.gif hug.gif A lot of babies don't gain quickly - at least she is gaining! And she's doing good developmentally... it sounds to me like she is just fine. wub.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 21 2008, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jul 21 2008, 10:56 PM)
if you are ok with supplementing, feel free.
hug.gif

see thats the thing I'm REALLY NOT I hate it and so does dh, he doesn't think that I should have to and neither do I. BUT i'm going to just for a little while and see what happens and I will definitely mention borrowing a scale... ugh bawling.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
kimberley
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 03:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

hug.gif hug.gif i am sorry it didn't go well. i agree with Cary, don't let them bully you. Jade was tiny too but thankfully my ped is pro bf and told me a gain is a gain and not worry too much. she went several months with minimal gain but is perfectly healthy now at almost 5yo. she's just a small girl. she didn't even start solids til 11mos. focus on the big picture. she IS thriving.

as for nursing, a great way to increase supply is have a weekend marathon nursing session. rent movies, stay in jamas and just nurse on demand. and the rest is good for you too! one thing i was thinking too is maybe you are not taking in enough water in this heat and running around after Alyssa.

don't give up, you are doing a great job!! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 04:51 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Then don't do it. Doc's don't know everything. K is one of the healthiest kids I know but she is on the small side (although not the smallest in her class). Feel free to look up some of my old posts about her gains, or lack therof. growl.gif

Do what Kimberly said and go get a scale asap & start tracking.

Good luck hon. love2.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I agree if you dont think you should then DONT. the others gave you some great advice. hug.gif

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Raygen had to have extra calories cause she was so small (3lbs at birth) she was on a special formula I cant remember the name of it though. I remember it was REALLY expensive though. It made her gain like they wanted her to.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I am sure it will get better. hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 05:52 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif
I'm sorry the appointment didn't go as well as you thought. As long as she is healthy and doing well developmentally, then I woudn't worry too much. (Stress can affect your supply). It sounds like she may just be on the small side.

I had the opposite thing happen, Ashley was so big that they wanted to make sure I nursed her every two hours (even at night). In the hospital, they were always poking her foot to check her blood. grrrrr. They make us worry if they are big and they make us worry if they are small. (sorry I sounded like a Dr. Suess book there).

Do what you feel comfortbable with and don't let them push you into anything. Maybe you can meet with the LC sooner.
hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Thanks everyone for the advice I think I'm going to nix the formula she isn't really taking to it anyway she is FULL when she is done nursing and pretty dang happy and she makes the most awful face when I give her formula. And last night after I gave her formula she puked SOOO much it was in her hair up her nose and literally all over both of us.. it scared me. Plus I'm scared its going to decrease my supply...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

hug.gif Mommy knows best. Do what works for you and Autumn. hug.gif

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
mckayleesmom
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

If she is happy after feeding..then she is most likely getting enough. A really hungry baby is going to let you know about it.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0226 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]