Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How short a skirt is appropriate for winter?
Brias3
Posted: Nov 23 2008, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419

So I was trying to plan out my holiday outfits and I have a question on appropriate skirt length.

I just got a really cute black and white plaid skirt on sale from the Limited that comes to about 2-3 inches above my knee. If I pair it with a fitted turtleneck sweater, thick black tights and nice knee high black boots, would that be inappropriate for a work lunch (I'm accompanying Bruce on the 5th)? Granted I may find that I get a belly before then laugh.gif and have to go back to the drawing board, but I just don't want to look inappropriate for my age or for the event, so please be honest. I won't be insulted!

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Nov 23 2008, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

can I see a pic?
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Nov 23 2008, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I can't remember the exact wording, but someone on Oprah said once that you bend your knee, hold your four fingers, and that is the appropriate length in your 20's. Then you subtract a finger each decade, so three fingers above the knee in your 30's, two fingers above your knee in your 40's....I think your skirt sounds fine (according to that rule and otherwise laugh.gif ), I bet you'll look great! thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 23 2008, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Try the outfit on and sit down. If the skirt moves up mid thigh, and you are tugging at it every few minutes, then my answer is go with something longer. Otherwise it sounds cute!

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Nov 23 2008, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

What is your age? If I can ask?

It sounds like you know how to dress appropriately......show us a pic! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Nov 24 2008, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Nov 23 2008, 07:08 PM)
I can't remember the exact wording, but someone on Oprah said once that you bend your knee, hold your four fingers, and that is the appropriate length in your 20's. Then you subtract a finger each decade, so three fingers above the knee in your 30's, two fingers above your knee in your 40's....I think your skirt sounds fine (according to that rule and otherwise laugh.gif ), I bet you'll look great! thumb.gif

Thank God for Oprah. What would we do with out her? rolling_smile.gif
PM
lisar
Posted: Nov 24 2008, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Nov 23 2008, 07:08 PM)

good rule, even though I cant stand that show
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Nov 30 2008, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE (moped @ Nov 23 2008, 07:05 PM)
What is your age? If I can ask?

It sounds like you know how to dress appropriately......show us a pic! biggrin.gif

35, so I guess I have three fingers to test with!

Thanks for the input, all. And the Oprah rule of thumb was great, Monica!

I'll post a pic this week for the official OK- my order should be here this week and I'll get to try it on.

The bummer of it is, I think I spoke too soon- a couple of pairs of pants were tighter on me this week, and I don't think I can blame Thanksgiving either blush.gif

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Brias3 @ Dec 1 2008, 01:09 AM)
QUOTE (moped @ Nov 23 2008, 07:05 PM)
What is your age?  If I can ask?

35, so I guess I have three fingers to test with!

Thanks for the input, all. And the Oprah rule of thumb was great, Monica!

I'll post a pic this week for the official OK- my order should be here this week and I'll get to try it on.

The bummer of it is, I think I spoke too soon- a couple of pairs of pants were tighter on me this week, and I don't think I can blame Thanksgiving either blush.gif

emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

I'm hoping my skirt fits for Christmas dinners as well. You're not giving me much hope if yours isn't fitting at 11 weeks rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0107 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]