Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bfing question, How long do you nurse on each side
MamaMartie
Posted: May 19 2003, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

I am new to this, and I was wondering how long you nirse on each side. Hannah wants to eat about every 3 hours, which is very good I think (she'll be 3 weeks on Thurs). I was told in the hospital and by the ped to feed her for 10-15 mins a side. But that didn't seem right to me. She generally feeds for 20-30 minutes a side, and seems pretty content with that, and for now I am fine with it. I assume that as she gets older she'll be a more "efficient" eater. I know that my bottle fed babies were slow eaters in the beginning.

The thing is, I know my ped is going to say I am giving her too long to eat and setting myself up for long feedings for as long as Hannah BFs. So I thought I'd "ask the experts" and see what you all thought/did. That way I'd sound more convincing when I told her, the ped, I know what I'm doing. biggrin.gif

Thaks in advance!

--------------------
Martie
Lucky Mommy to:

Jared 2/18/97

Meggie 2/18/99
Joey 7/12/00
Hannah 5/1/03
Gabriella Claire due 3/20/05

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 19 2003, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I am no expert, this was my first time BF. But, Ashley took a long time to nurse in the beginning too. As she got older, she was really efficient at it and only takes about 5-10 minutes. Ashley aslo only nurses on one side per feeding...except right before bed. It sounds like you are doing great...congrats on the first three weeks!

HTH.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mckayleesmom
Posted: May 19 2003, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

My baby is a week older then yours and in the beginning she would eat for a long time too, well I had the same question as you for my mom last night on the phone cause shes had 5 kids so she is an expert. She said that 10 to 15 minutes is enough otherwise they will over eat sometimes and they spit up more, which is exactly what she was doing and she is much better holding food down now. Also I know my daughter tends to use me as a pacifier sometimes, so after I burp her I give that to her to give her that comfort of sucking on something rather then my boob cause it was causing alot of soreness and dryness.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster

supermom
Posted: May 19 2003, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Well, you know her better than anyone, and it seems like she's doing GREAT on that schedule. You didn't say if she's spitting up a lot, and I assume not. I would say that you just keep on doing what you are doing. One thing that you didn't mention is that you might want to alternate starting sides. Start on a different side each time you feed, that way there is less chace you'll end up lopsided. (yes, it's possible if they don't even out the time spent on each side). I would no way 'time' her if you are comfortable with that and you or she doesn't seem to be bothered with long feeds. If you do get some soreness and dryness, the lanolin salve for nursing moms works wonders, just apply as directed.

So glad you are having a great BF experience, keep up the good work!! grouphug.gif to you and Hannah

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
kit_kats_mom
Posted: May 19 2003, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Well, I had oversupply issues until DD was about 5 months old. I was told to BF on one side every 4 hours. For example; if she ate at 10, 12 & 2, those were all left side feeds. We also co-sleep and so that helped me to not have to roll over so much during the night. I just fed her most of the night from one side. DD ate very frequently for long periods but she is now a quick eater.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
shelrae00
Posted: May 19 2003, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 60

I went thru the same thing with Sarynn in the beginning. It took her forever to feed (30 - 45 mins) and I only did one side each feeding. Now she is usually done in 10 - 15 mins and still only nurses on one side. I was told if you switch them to the other breast too soon instead of letting them empty the breast, they don't get the fatty hind milk and get hungry faster. That is just what I was told so that is why I do one side each feeding still.

Just my 2cents.gif

Shelly

--------------------
Shelly and Sarynn (9/18/02)
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
MomToMany
Posted: May 20 2003, 03:38 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

wavey.gif I have a Hannah, too! She was born 4-21-02, so she's almost 13 months old.

As long as she's having good "output" (about 6 wet diapers and at least 3 poopy ones), I wouldn't change anything you're doing. Dr.'s and nurses generally go by their experiences or what they read; you know YOUR baby, and what they need and what they like! All babies are different; BFed babies aren't supposed to be on a schedule; you should just feed her whenever she's hungry, and don't watch the clock! My Hannah only feeds on one side every feeding; she's always done this. I was paranoid in the beginning that she wasn't getting enough, and "the experts" said to let the baby nurse on the first side until the baby comes off on their own, and put the baby on the other side if the baby still seemed hungry. I never had to do this, because Hannah always fell asleep when she was done on the first side. I knew she was getting enough by her poopy and wet diapers; she had a poopy diaper with every feeding!

thumb.gif You know YOUR baby, so just feed her whenever she's hungry, and you will do just fine smile.gif !
amynicole21
Posted: May 20 2003, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

I agree with the other ladies... if it's working for you, don't change a thing. I find it so much easier to single side feed, though. Sophia was very fussy in the beginning, and my LC told me to just stick with one side per feeding. The fussiness (gassiness) stopped as soon as I quit switching sides. It also makes things easier during feedings since I don't have to fiddle with the other side of my bra, switching her over in public, etc. It's totally a matter of personal comfort, so go with whatever feels right. The length of time it takes her to empty your breast will also get better in time.

Here is a link on the subject: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/some_bf_myt...hs_01-03.html#4

Good luck!

This post has been edited by amynicole21 on May 20 2003, 04:35 AM

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 20 2003, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

sound like most of us are the same. Kaitlin only nurses one side at a time, some one asked if I switched sides and I said no, they told me she would sleep better if I did. So I gave it a shot, nope made it worse took alot longer to get her to sleep, then she woke up hungry after 2 hours! So I went back to the way I was comfortable with one side at a time and I just rotate (although sometimes I forgot which side I last feed on).

Oh and that Laniolin product works great for sore, dry or cracked nipples!

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MamaMartie
Posted: May 20 2003, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 118

smile.gif You all are so awsome. I feel much better after reading your responses! What did people do befor compters & the internet?

Hannah is a good baby and doesn't fuss at all. I know I am lucky b/c my first 2 were serious spitters. I switch sides during the day, but at night I tend to done one breast at one feeding and the other at the next. I didn't know if it was the right thing to do, but it seemed easier for both of us. I think I might do this during the day too now that you all said it was ok.

I am very relived to know that eventually she feed for less time. I don't want to sound like a mean mommy but right now BFing takes up most of my day and night. For now that is ok, b/c she is so little. But eventually the kids and my dh are going to want me to be able to do stuff for them too.

Since you answered this question so well I am goign to post another one. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Martie
Lucky Mommy to:

Jared 2/18/97

Meggie 2/18/99
Joey 7/12/00
Hannah 5/1/03
Gabriella Claire due 3/20/05

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 22 2003, 05:38 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

So I went back to the way I was comfortable with one side at a time and I just rotate (although sometimes I forgot which side I last feed on).
I read you could fasten a safety pin to your bra to help you remember which side, but I have never done this. I might have forgotten once or twice, but it has never been that big of a deal.

I don't want to sound like a mean mommy but right now BFing takes up most of my day and night. For now that is ok, b/c she is so little. But eventually the kids and my dh are going to want me to be able to do stuff for them too.
I think we all felt like this in the beginning. I felt like I spent my entire day nursing!! But, they grow up sooooo fast and it won't be long until your baby is on some type of schedule...even if it is a loose schedule. You'll have more time to do other stuff, like play with Hannah and your other kids! hehe emlaugh.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 23 2003, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

So I went back to the way I was comfortable with one side at a time and I just rotate (although sometimes I forgot which side I last feed on).I read you could fasten a safety pin to your bra to help you remember which side, but I have never done this. I might have forgotten once or twice, but it has never been that big of a deal.

hehe I thought about that, but its never been a big deal if I cant remember then I go with which side feels fullest! wink.gif

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0127 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]