Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Do schools offer programs for those
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

who can't afford lunches or school supplies? I'm bringing this up because of a vent thread about school supplies. I'm very curious if schools do this. When I was in public grade school (very poor district) we purchased a lunch ticket to eat meals. You purchased it monthly. My parents really could not afford to buy this and struggled to pay for this up until I was in 4th grade. In 4th grade through 6th grade the school offered a program that if you worked in the cafeteria your lunches were free. You got all the food you could eat, actually. If you wanted breakfast you could work the cafeteria for breakfast as well. I only worked the lunch program. So we were let out of class 1/2 hour before lunch started and we'd set the tables with napkins, utensils and milk. Then during lunch we'd work the 'lunch line' (basically serving food) and punching lunch tickets, helping littler kids get to their seats without spilling their food, etc. After lunch was served while other kids were on the playground or in the gym playing, we'd scrape plates (we called this slopping food happy.gif ) and washed dishes. Then we got to eat. This program helped my parents a lot and actually I had a lot of fun with it and it taught me a few things in life.

When we moved out into a rich public school district at the end of 6th grade that school didn't offer such a program. I assume the other did because there were so many poor kids in it, whereas the district I moved in to, everyone was rich...accept us. happy.gif

Anyways, do your schools offer anything like this for those who can't afford it? I think it's a really nice program and I actually have great memories of that time. None of us felt different because we did this program either.

I wonder if some schools have programs like this for those who need supplies and can't afford it? If not, I think they should come up with something for them.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 21 2006, 06:56 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
JP&KJMOM
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

My Babies

Member No.: 2,579

Not sure about everywhere but in Texas we have what is called Reduced Lunch Program. Basically they take your monthly home income and if you qualify you get lunches for say $0.50 vs. $1.75. Not sure of the real numbers cause we don't qualify but that is an example of what it is.

--------------------
Karen mommy to JP and Karlee
PMEmail PosterAOL
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

JP&KJMOM Posted on Aug 21 2006, 10:45 AM
  Not sure about everywhere but in Texas we have what is called Reduced Lunch Program. Basically they take your monthly home income and if you qualify you get lunches for say $0.50 vs. $1.75. Not sure of the real numbers cause we don't qualify but that is an example of what it is. 

We don't qualify either but they still make up fill out the form anyway.

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

only thing I remember in school was a lunch card, if your parents could not afford the reg price they could fill out a form to get a lunch card that was good for a month at a time. No one really knew who was on it. Most time the cashier knew the kids on it and kept it under wraps. I dunno if they had one for supplies.

Not sure whats out there now.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

In our district the school issues lunch cards to everyone...they look like a credit card that they scan.
JP&KJMOM
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

My Babies

Member No.: 2,579

We have those cards to Jimmie. We pay in advance and they put say $20 on it and when he gets low we do additional money. Although JP takes his lunch pretty much everyday.
They don't ever tell anyone what the guidelines really are from what I can tell about the reduced meals but I copied this from our school district's website. Price for ones who don't qualify. ohmy.gif

MEALS (Tell me about cafeteria meals.)
• Meals are planned by registered dietitians and prepared by well-trained cooks.

• Some students may qualify for free or reduced price meals. For a free and reduced price meals application and information, call 397-4517.

• Lunch and breakfast prices for the 2006-2007 school year:

Elementary:
Lunch ($1.75),
Breakfast (75¢)

Middle & High School:
Lunch ($2.00),
Breakfast (85¢)

Adults & non- enrolled children:
Lunch ($2.75),
Breakfast ($1.45)

Staff:
Lunch ($2.75),
Breakfast ($1.45)

--------------------
Karen mommy to JP and Karlee
PMEmail PosterAOL
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Yeah, everyone when I went got a lunch card. Those who needed help financially could fill out forms and get assistance OR you could work in the lunchroom. I was old enough in 4th grade to understand that working in the lunchroom would be a free meal, whereas if I didn't it would still cost my parents something (not as much as regular meal) and so I felt like I could help in this way. So I liked that the school had this program and looking back it really did teach me some things. My parents were also gracious of course that I helped out willingly in this way. smile.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

[/QUOTE]JP&KJMOM Posted on Aug 21 2006, 10:57 AM
We have those cards to Jimmie. We pay in advance and they put say $20 on it and when he gets low we do additional money. Although JP takes his lunch pretty much everyday.[QUOTE]

Yes and down here you can actually go online and deposit onto there account. And they send you an email when it is getting low on funds. Man I love that option.
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I remember the free or reduced lunches for those that couldn't afford it, but I don't remember seeing kids working the lunchroom. I am all for assistance if the family can't afford to buy the lunches, but I don't necessarily agree with making the kids work the lunch line in order to get the meal ticket. I am glad you liked it, and I am sure some other kids would too, but I think that should just be a voluntary position and not tied into the meal ticket.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 21 2006, 11:14 AM)
I remember the free or reduced lunches for those that couldn't afford it, but I don't remember seeing kids working the lunchroom. I am all for assistance if the family can't afford to buy the lunches, but I don't necessarily agree with making the kids work the lunch line in order to get the meal ticket. I am glad you liked it, and I am sure some other kids would too, but I think that should just be a voluntary position and not tied into the meal ticket.

It was voluntary. There was still assistance given if that was my choice, but it wasn't. It was a great experience for me and I think it could teach other children good things as well, without making them feel less because their parents couldn't afford the lunch program. But like I said it was voluntary.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Ours do. Of course, you have to be dirt poor to qualify for anything around here. We never qualify for anything, they always say we make too much...YEAH RIGHT!

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,193

My high school had a program - you didn't have to work for lunch - if your parents were on some kind of gov't assistance than you could get either free food or lunch for $.40, one of my good friends was on it, she ended up paying for her own lunch everyday just bc the lunch ladies always made a big deal out of it when she came thru - they would shout back to the other ladies about how do they put that into the computer etc...

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
BAC'sMom
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Sarah0804 Posted on Aug 21 2006, 02:47 PM
  My high school had a program - you didn't have to work for lunch - if your parents were on some kind of gov't assistance than you could get either free food or lunch for $.40, one of my good friends was on it, she ended up paying for her own lunch everyday just bc the lunch ladies always made a big deal out of it when she came thru - they would shout back to the other ladies about how do they put that into the computer etc... 

That's so sad your poor friend. growl.gif

This post has been edited by BAC'sMom on Aug 21 2006, 11:51 AM
luvbug00
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

we have free & reduced lunch fare for those who qualify. We also have those cards to swipe but Mya never uses that stuff because i'd never let her eat the crud they serve in school. dry.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

Brias3
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

I know they do for lunches in the public school system in our area. I'm not sure about the school supplies. I know there also might be something in place to help out with the student fees, etc., in the PSS in our area. I know you have to be in a pretty dire state though. My mom has worked as a teacher's aide in the public school system here for quite a few years and only a small percentage are eligible.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 21 2006, 12:03 PM)
Yeah, everyone when I went got a lunch card. Those who needed help financially could fill out forms and get assistance OR you could work in the lunchroom. I was old enough in 4th grade to understand that working in the lunchroom would be a free meal, whereas if I didn't it would still cost my parents something (not as much as regular meal) and so I felt like I could help in this way. So I liked that the school had this program and looking back it really did teach me some things. My parents were also gracious of course that I helped out willingly in this way. smile.gif

I think that's a neat idea, really! So long as there was no stigma attached to kids working in the kitchen (in other words, all kids were eligble to "learn" by working in the kitchen for credit on their lunch tickets, regardless of need). What a great way to learn one's way around a kitchen!

We have a similar program in NJ. All families fill out a form in the beginning of each year to determine whether a child is eligible for assistance. The only people who know about assistance given are the offfice personnel who keep the paperwork.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (redchief @ Aug 21 2006, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 21 2006, 12:03 PM)
Yeah, everyone when  I went got a lunch card.  Those who needed help financially could fill out forms and get assistance OR you could work in the lunchroom.  I was old enough in 4th grade to understand that working in the lunchroom would be a free meal, whereas if I didn't it would still cost my parents something (not as much as regular meal) and so I felt like I could help in this way.  So I liked that the school had this program and looking back it really did teach me some things.  My parents were also gracious of course that I helped out willingly in this way.  smile.gif

I think that's a neat idea, really! So long as there was no stigma attached to kids working in the kitchen (in other words, all kids were eligble to "learn" by working in the kitchen for credit on their lunch tickets, regardless of need). What a great way to learn one's way around a kitchen!

We have a similar program in NJ. All families fill out a form in the beginning of each year to determine whether a child is eligible for assistance. The only people who know about assistance given are the offfice personnel who keep the paperwork.

You know I think it gave me a hint of what working would be one day, kwim? But learning your way around a kitchen is another way to look at it. laugh.gif bigthink.gif Maybe that's why I hate the kitchen, nah. happy.gif There really was NO stigma whatsoever with it. None of the other kids knew, never said anything. I was actually very popular at that school so I guess it didn't matter. emlaugh.gif

It was actually really neat to see how a "business" worked, kwim?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

ours don't but the church has offered help on their behalf. i think that is a great idea! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 21 2006, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 21 2006, 11:14 AM)
I remember the free or reduced lunches for those that couldn't afford it, but I don't remember seeing kids working the lunchroom.  I am all for assistance if the family can't afford to buy the lunches, but I don't necessarily agree with making the kids work the lunch line in order to get the meal ticket.  I am glad you liked it, and I am sure some other kids would too, but I think that should just be a voluntary position and not tied into the meal ticket.

It was voluntary. There was still assistance given if that was my choice, but it wasn't. It was a great experience for me and I think it could teach other children good things as well, without making them feel less because their parents couldn't afford the lunch program. But like I said it was voluntary.

ahhh, I see. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with Ed, as long as everyone has the opportunity and not just those that need financial assitance for their lunch, then I think it is a great idea. I completely misunderstood that when I read your original post.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
maestra
Posted: Aug 21 2006, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

Our school has school wide free breakfast and lunch, because 92% of our children qualify under the federal government's standards. So no tickets, nothing. None of them pay. It's nice biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by maestra on Aug 21 2006, 08:42 PM

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 22 2006, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (maestra @ Aug 21 2006, 11:42 PM)
Our school has school wide free breakfast and lunch, because 92% of our children qualify under the federal government's standards. So no tickets, nothing. None of them pay. It's nice biggrin.gif

Hey you! Nice to 'see' you wink.gif Hope things are going well. hug.gif

That is a very nice program your schools have. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

Apparently they do have that here, because when I registered my son for school, EVERY parent had to fill out the paperwork for the lunch thing, and then they decided if you qualified for either full price, reduced, or free lunch.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0151 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]