Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> March Mommies having Baby Boys!!!
armymum19
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,270

yeah! Just found out that we are having a boy!!!!! I am SO EXCITED!!!!! My DH and I are thinking about the name Jacen(as in Jason) Scott. I think its adorable.

QUESTION: What do you think about circumcision? Im going to do it, but a lot of people are against it... What are you going to do?

party.gif HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

--------------------
baby Awaiting Jacen Scott.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Congrats! Oh, I like the way you spelled Jacen. I love the name and the unique spelling!!! thumb.gif

I only have a girl so I am not much help on the circumcision question. wink.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
armymum19
Posted: Oct 28 2005, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,270

Thanks so much.... My husband picked the name Jacen.... because thats the way they spell it in one of those Star Wars books. wink.gif I had to agree that it is cute, and at least he isnt trying to call his son Luke, or Chubaca or something! laugh.gif

--------------------
baby Awaiting Jacen Scott.
PMEmail Poster

my2boys06
  Posted: Nov 20 2005, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,843

Hey!
Congrats on having a boy. i'm due in March 2006 with twin boys. my boyfriend and i are very happy. we have been talking about the whole circumcision thing and i don't think we are going to. there is no right or wrong thing to do, as long as you keep him healthy.

CONGRATS & BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!
Crystal
PMEmail Poster
TsurugiButterfly
Posted: Nov 30 2005, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,885

Congrats on having a boy!
I'm actually due in January with my first boy as well and I only stumbled across this thread as I've been looking for advice on the circumcision issue as well. I've talked to some of my relatives (and I always considered my relatives to be a rather liberal bunch) and they are mortified that I am even considering NOT having Tristan circumcised. My mother's excuse was that "Well, everyone else does it." And I almost launched into a tirade about how lame that excuse is...

Even my cousin, who is only a year older than me with two boys of her own thinks I'm crazy. She then started quoting to me about how he will be more likely to get a UTI if he is uncircumcised, and how it may cause penile cancer. Well, I decided to take a look at the American Medical Association's website (my cousin is an EMT instructor in the Navy, I didn't want to start a war on the phone over whether she was right or not) and they had some interesting things to say.

From what I've gathered so far, there is not enough medical evidence to warrant routine circumcisions. As a result, circumcision is an elective procedure, and by no means will your baby be harmed, or not grow up normally without it.

As far as urinary tract infections are concerned, TECHNICALLY yes, there is an increase in risk of developing one during the first year. However, the overall chance of an infant male developing a UTI is between 0.4%-1% So, very slim indeed. I wouldn't say that surgery is necessary for odds that small.

As far as penile cancer, and sexually transmitted diseases as well, are concerned, studies have shown that it is slightly more prevalent in uncircumcised males, but this form of cancer is very rare. There are also other factors to take into consideration, particularly in the case of STDs -- the only real method of preventing an STD is practicing safe sex or abstinence. In other words, a circumcision is not going to save him from getting an STD if he is engaging in risky behaviors.

So from entirely medical perspective, there is very little real benefit to having a circumcision done. However, another aspect to consider is the social ramifications of the decision. This is where I seem to run into problems...

The biggest argument in favor of circumcision is that "Everyone else does it." "He will be different than his father, brothers, schoolmates, etc." Even my own fiance seems to think that leaving him uncircumcised will ruin his teenage life. He then proceeded to tell me about a boy in his grade who had gotten a little bit of an erection in the locker room and within an hour the whole school knew about it. He then proceeded to tell me how this kid was harrassed to the point he had to change schools. Am I really condemning my son to be a "loser" over some skin?

I'd love to hear some thoughts from some of the others here as well, as it seems my friends and family are content to make me out to be a monster for not wanting to have him circumcised.

Also, I'm in favor of not doing it, and my fiance (the baby's father) is. If we differ so much in opinion here, who actually gets the final say?

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant, but it's been a topic bubbling over in my mind for weeks now, and with January approaching, I don't have that much time left to mull it over. Thanks for letting me air it out.

Jaime

P.S. Armymum, we almost decided to name our Jacen. smile.gif Both the fiance and I are huge Star Wars fans! (Trust me, Mike campaigned for weeks about naming him Luke, just so he could say "Luke, I am your father." But somehow we ended up with Tristan, hehe)

--------------------
Tristan Michael Poirier ~ December 10, 2005 ~ 5lbs 9oz ~ 19.5 inches

user posted image
Daddy explaining the intricate workings of football.
PMEmail Poster
Mom2BNTN
Posted: Jan 23 2006, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 3,165

Hello!! First time here so I hope I am doing this right... tongue.gif My husband and I are expecting our first baby on March 20th and can't wait to see our son for for first time. We have discussed the idea of having him circumcised and have decided to do so. We don't see any harm with it and just think our son, Dylan would be glad we made this decision for him when he gets older. Good luck with whatever decision you make. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
~~~Dylan Zachary~~~
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
CosmetologyMommy
Posted: Jan 24 2006, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Aunt Emily and Aidan!!!!!

Member No.: 2,733

my son is 4 months and we did circumsise him. It was hard on him because of the pain and it hurt a little to change his diaper but it was just for about a week.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]