Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Birds and the Bees --HELP!
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Dec 4 2009, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley's asked about babies before... and, we've had the age appropriate discussions. She knows that it takes a Mommy and Daddy to make a baby and that there is an egg and sperm... etc. But, now she keeps asking the "HOW" part. How do I answer this, she's only 7, and not ready for details but the general answers aren't cutting it any more. How do you answer this?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
cameragirl21
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,205

lol, when I was in first grade, our sex ed consisted of opening up a peanut and finding the "baby peanut" and then we all got to eat our peanut, lol.
One boy in my class asked our teacher (in a group discussion that involved the whole class) how a mom and a dad make a baby and she told us that they kiss. As an only child who desperately wanted a sibling, I remember thinking I would force my parents to kiss a lot. Well, I am still an only child and I still remember my first grade teacher's "lie" even though I understand why she told it as it would be totally out of line for her to tell us the truth since she's not the parent and has no idea how much our parents wanted us to know at that age.
If at 7, she already knows about egg and sperm, maybe you can tell her that Daddy carries the sperm in his body and puts it into Mommy's body where the egg is. And then tell her the egg and the sperm have to meet in order for the baby to be made. Idk if you'd want to get more detailed than that or if maybe you'd want to tell her instead that the baby lives in the uterus for 9 months and focus on that instead with pictures of stage by stage development over the 9 months. That part, I imagine, would be more interesting to children and would potentially get their focus on the how part.
Idk how much more I'd tell but I can see that kids are way more advanced these days than when I was a kid. I was surprised when you said that at 7, Ashley barely plays with toys anymore...I think I was still playing with them at 9 or 10 and so were my friends.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

She knows about how a baby is carried in the uterus and has seen pictures of this. She also knows that Daddy carries the sperm and Mommy has the egg. I have always been honest and answered her questions with as little detail as possible. But, this time she specifically asked me "but how" do they come together and the baby gets in Mommys tummy. I don't want to lie, but I also don't think she is ready for this kind of information. I asked her what she has heard from others, and I don't think she has heard anything from anyone else. She is just naturally curious and likes to know how stuff works and in her mind, she innocently wants to know "how". Vague answers have never really cut it with Ashley, she likes to know the mechanics of how stuff works.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

cameragirl21
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

Hmm, well, obviously Ashley is really smart and not easily bamboozled.
When I was a teenager, the 5.5 year old girl I babysat was about to get another sibling so she asked me how the baby got into her mommy's tummy. Not being sure how much her mom would want her to know, I got her a kid's book about this that described as--mommy and daddy have a special cuddle and that is how the baby get into the mommy's tummy. This little girl was ok with the info and didn't ask more questions but she was younger than Ashley.
Maybe tell her it's a special cuddle that mommies and daddies do in private and that she'll learn more about it when she's older...?
When I was in college, I babysat for twin girls who were 11 so they were older and obviously already knew about sex. They constantly asked me what stuff meant, for example, I took them to a pg movie and someone made a joke about 69 and they asked me what it meant and there was no way in hades I was explaining that to them so I told them that I'd explain it to them when they were older and they'd be able to understand. They never liked that answer but they didn't press so maybe that would work too?

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Can you just explain that our bodies are made to fit together like puzzle pieces, but with out showing her what the actual anatomy looks like? or maybe show her how some different animals do it?
I was just thinking about this last night. I got the big talk when I was in 2nd grade. My mom got out my dad's college anatomy book and showed me all kinds of pictures, she pretty much told me everything, well, all the basic mechanics, including all the stuff about periods. Ben is in 1st grade, so my time is getting near. He hasn't asked a single question yet. I will probably die when he actually does.
PM
jcc64
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Idk, I always provide info in small snippets until they stop asking questions or it's clear they've had enough. Why are you reluctant to just tell her the truth, if you don't mind my asking?

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Dec 4 2009, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

A friend of mine just gave her daughter a book on it and had her read it and then told her she would answer questions after she read it...it made the situation much more comfortable for both of them.

However, if you aren't ready for Ashley to know all the details of how it works yet, I would just tell her it's a grown-up thing and you'll teach her about it when she's a little older.

PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Dec 5 2009, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

daddy plants his seed in mommy and together with her egg, they grow to make a beautiful baby.
be ready with pics of how a fertilized egg becomes a baby. they will be so mesmerized with those pics, hopefully the mechanics will be forgotten.

parenting is hard lol

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 5 2009, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Dec 4 2009, 05:26 PM)
Idk, I always provide info in small snippets until they stop asking questions or it's clear they've had enough. Why are you reluctant to just tell her the truth, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't know, I just think that 7 years old is a bit young to learn about the mechanics of sex.

I did give her brief explanations without going into detail. And, that would work, then eventually she would come back and ask more questions. I would answer them as truthfully without going into detail as I could, but she would always ask more questions. S0, she understands about the egg and sperm, how a baby grows in the womb, and even how the baby comes out.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

jcc64
Posted: Dec 5 2009, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I told Corey flat out--that when people love each other, they like to express that love physically, which is called making love or having sex. She knows it involves the dad putting his penis in the mom's vagina, and that seemed to be enough info to satisfy the curiosity.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0121 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]