Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Obama will deliver a national address, directly to students on Tuesday 9/8
BAC'sMom
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 05:00 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486

Did any of you hear about this?

Obama will deliver a national address directly to students on Tuesday, which will be the first day of classes for many children across the country. The address, to be broadcast live on the White House's Web site, was announced in a letter to school principals last week by Education Secretary Arne Duncan.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/02...-plan-students/

This post has been edited by BAC'sMom on Sep 3 2009, 05:00 AM

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

There are schools that start that late? This is our third week of school.

That's pretty cool that he is addressing the students. I'm curious to see what he says.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lesliesmom
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

Yeah, there are schools that start that late. It is the law in Michigan that public schools start after Labor Day. Was created to boost tourism before school starts. Because of it though, the schools in my district will only have a 1/2 day so they will not be watching this.

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

when I click the fox link it says URL not found.

I have heard some comments about commercials that are pretty political in nature and some comments to the kids about praising the earth instead of God.
I wanted to see for myself what is going to be talked about before we decided what to do.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

The URL didn't work for me either but I did a search. Interesting enough, the article I read said that the president traditionally addresses students on the first day of school. I had never heard of this before, but apparently it's tradition... I wonder why it is such a big deal this year.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

BAC'sMom
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Sep 3 2009, 12:44 PM)
when I click the fox link it says URL not found.

I have heard some comments about commercials that are pretty political in nature and some comments to the kids about praising the earth instead of God.
I wanted to see for myself what is going to be talked about before we decided what to do.

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Sep 3 2009, 01:00 PM)
The URL didn't work for me either but I did a search. Interesting enough, the article I read said that the president traditionally addresses students on the first day of school. I had never heard of this before, but apparently it's tradition... I wonder why it is such a big deal this year.

I have heard other wise that this is the first time a president has addressed the students ever.

--------------------

luvmykids
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Bush Sr addressed students in 1991, that's the only other instance I found during a very quick search.

Stacey, this may be what you're looking for, I know nothing about the site it's on other than it appears to be a site for storing published documents (in other words, it's not a political site)
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/Presi...eptember-8-2009
PMEmail Poster
lesliesmom
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

I don't remember a president ever addressing us in any way, shape or form in school. And somewhere I did read that this is the first time a President will be addressing elementary aged students in this way. Where we could watch them with our parents who had an idea about what was going to be discussed, but nothing like this. 12 o'clock with parents not allowed to attend (that is what I have read and heard).

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Christina Erland Culver, former deputy assistant secretary for education, said presidents have traditionally addressed classrooms on the first day of school, but the problem with the event was the accompanying materials from the Department of Education.

That was taken from this article on Fox News as well:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/03...nts-help-obama/

But, like I said, I don't ever remember a President addressing the students. However, if it is just a general pro-education -- stay in school and do your best -- type of message then I am all for it. I wouldn't even care if he said take care of the earth, it's the only one you have. They teach recycling in school so what's wrong with that?

I don't like a lot of things Obama is doing, but I think the critics in this case may have their own political agenda. I may change my mind once I see the actual speech, but I really can't see it being anything that crosses the line.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

boyohboyohboy
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I guess my concern is not political either, but I dont agree with anyone discussing anything with my child unless I know what it is exactly about.
I did find a site that say the entire document will be available after the broad cast, but its kinda late then isnt it?
I just called our school and they are not planning on showing it.

--------------------

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

Although not addressed at us, as an elementary student, I remember watching national Presidential addresses in the lunchroom more than once. I, like I suspect most younger kids, found it awfully boring. I doubt Olivia would be the least bit interested unless he's promising free candy bars with all school lunches or for every book she reads! laugh.gif

My daughter gets plenty of info uncensored from adults so I really don't have a worry that way. I've never asked a teacher how they plan to teach any portion of their curriculum but I can tell you as a person who spends 25 hours a week directly in classrooms, the information they get, especially in history and current events certainly can be emotionally or politically swayed by the view of the teacher in every grade level.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Sep 3 2009, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Quite honestly, I don't know what the president thinks he will accomplish by addressing the schools. According to what I've read he just wants them to do well. Don't we all? Does he truly believe that by interrupting their lunch he'll garner the enthusiasm he seeks to make them all better students with a single speech? Beats me.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0117 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]