Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gack...Help; Need advice NOW, A daughter & a dance
redchief
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

Kaitlin is really upset with me right now. She has a semi-formal dance tonight and I just got home from work. Lisa's picking up John and I have little "female" help. Kaitlin said she was going in a pair of cargo pants and a t-shirt. I said, "No way!"

She said if I didn't let her wear what she wanted she wasn't going. I said fine, then don't go, but you're not going in that.

Did I mess up somewhere? She's in her bedroom crying. Arrrrghhhh!!!

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
redchief
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Whew... Lisa just got home. We'll see how she makes out.

--------------------

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
kimberley
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

rut roh that's not good. have you tried to get her to compromise? maybe cargo pants with a nicer shirt dunno.gif. if all the other kids are dressing that way, you don't want her to be overdressed, kwim? good luck. hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

Whats wrong with the cargo pants and t-shirt. I say let her go in what ever she wants ,and if she is underdressed, then she will feel like an idiot, and will now better for next time.
Have you tried to explain what is appropriate attire for a semi- formal?
PM
mckayleesmom
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I don't know....I was rather insecure as a teenager...still am....I would wear a dress now, but probably wouldn't have then.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

So what happened?

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Dec 2 2005, 05:52 PM)
Whats wrong with the cargo pants and t-shirt. I say let her go in what ever she wants ,and if she is underdressed, then she will feel like an idiot, and will now better for next time.
Have you tried to explain what is appropriate attire for a semi- formal?

I will give you all a heads up

Katie doesnt care what ppl. think of her she dresses to her own style.
She will wear what she likes.
She told me it was to COLD out to wear a dress or skirt So i can relate to that.

Ed took her shopping she said were going to the boys section right Dad Ed said No!!!!!

But katie will never feel like an Idiot bc she doesnt care wink.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
amymom
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

Katie doesnt care what ppl. think of her she dresses to her own style.
She will wear what she likes.
She told me it was to COLD out to wear a dress or skirt So i can relate to that.

Ed took her shopping she said were going to the boys section right Dad Ed said No!!!!!

Oh My I think my Mary Beth will be just like her when she is a teen. She is at her hockey practice now tongue.gif

How old is Kaitlyn? Sorry I do not remember blush.gif

Good for her for having the self confidence to be who she is!

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

[QUOTE=amymom,Dec 2 2005, 06:34 PM]
[/QUOTE]
Oh My I think my Mary Beth will be just like her when she is a teen. She is at her hockey practice now tongue.gif

How old is Kaitlyn? Sorry I do not remember blush.gif

Good for her for having the self confidence to be who she is! [/QUOTE]
Katie is 12 smile.gif

Hockey thumb.gif thats cool Mary Beth

This post has been edited by gr33n3y3z on Dec 2 2005, 03:43 PM

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
redchief
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Yep... I did what any red-blooded male faced with a female wardrobe problem would do... I took her shopping. We got through it and she's off to the dance in an outfit both of us could agree on. smile.gif

Thanks for the quick advice!

--------------------

MyLuvBugs
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

Well, does she realize that it's a semi-formal dance? I say if she want's to go in cargos and a t-shirt that's her perogative. If she gets embarassed by it, then she'll learn, but you have to let teenage girls make their own fashion mistakes. lol Trust me. smile.gif

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

QUOTE (redchief @ Dec 2 2005, 07:23 PM)
Yep... I did what any red-blooded male faced with a female wardrobe problem would do... I took her shopping. We got through it and she's off to the dance in an outfit both of us could agree on. smile.gif

LOL You're too funny! At least you were man enough to take her shopping. My DH wouldn't have ever done that. smile.gif

So what did she end up wearing?

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website
redchief
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (amomsjob @ Dec 2 2005, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (redchief @ Dec 2 2005, 07:23 PM)

LOL You're too funny! At least you were man enough to take her shopping. My DH wouldn't have ever done that. smile.gif

So what did she end up wearing?

Heheh... trust me... It was all in the name of keeping the peace.

She wore a very pretty pair of slacks, a light green sweater (very cute) with her own brand of "jewelry". Kaitlin isn't real big on dress up, but she did a fine job of being creative and putting together an outfit that was acceptable to the dress code and herself.

Unfortunately (and maybe partly because of the dress rules) the dance wasn't well attended. That didn't stop her from having a great time, though. The few kids that were there basically took over the DJ's job. laugh.gif

--------------------

coasterqueen
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Sounds like it worked out well! thumb.gif At least you just didn't leave it at the beginning conversation. That's what my dad used to do and instead of offering to help me find something that would work he'd do what you did originally and that was it. I hated him so much at the time for it and the more he did things like that the more I just rebeled. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

redchief
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (boogabearzmom @ Dec 3 2005, 09:12 AM)
Sounds like it worked out well! thumb.gif At least you just didn't leave it at the beginning conversation. That's what my dad used to do and instead of offering to help me find something that would work he'd do what you did originally and that was it. I hated him so much at the time for it and the more he did things like that the more I just rebeled. rolleyes.gif

I couldn't ever leave it like that. I have no problem punishing my kids when they need it, but that wasn't what this was all about, which is why I was so desperate for advice last night. blush.gif

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement. I was kind of beside myself; a position I don't find myself in often and am not comfortable being in. hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif Thanks so much!

--------------------

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Ed you are a great dad!! wub.gif She will really thank you one day for caring and being so understanding. I have a great dad, too. When my hormones were too much for my mother to handle he always stepped in and made me feel wonderful and we compromised. We have a great relationship to this day. wub.gif

I think the slacks sound very nice and I'm glad she had a great time. Semi formal for that age is a little odd IMO. I would have never worn something 'semi-formal' to a jr high dance. nosmiley.gif I was the same as Katie. I wanted to shop in the boy's section. rolling_smile.gif What do you expect with 3 older brothers? blush.gif
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Sorry I missed the original post, but sounds like you handled it great! thumb.gif I'm glad you were able to find a compromise. The school should really re-think it's dress code policy for the dance if that's the reason for low attendance.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
TANNER'S MOM
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 824

I am glad you worked it out. I understand about her wanting to be her.. Brittany is going thru that alot now too.

Good Job Lisa and Ed!

--------------------
PM
redchief
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Her smile and laughter while we shopped together last night (something I understandably don't often do; I've got ZERO taste in clothing) was thanks enough from my Katie. Apparently she finds a good deal of amusement in my total lack of taste. smile.gif

We had a good time and talked about communication between us. Hopefully she'll be better able to discuss things with me in the future. Thanks again everyone. wub.gif

--------------------

jacobsmama
Posted: Dec 3 2005, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

KRISTI :)

Member No.: 2,060

aww you are a great dad!! After reading all your post and reply I was smiling with a tear in my eye. Good Job dad! wub.gif

--------------------

Mother to Jacob & Conner. Wife to Loren
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0201 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]