Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Starting Band
Kittilicious
  Posted: Apr 30 2006, 05:04 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,627

In our school band starts in 6th grade. In 5th they get to pick their insturments... they do this test somehow where the band teacher picks the best one for you. You can initially pick what ones you would like, but the final decision is up to the band teacher. Taryn picked flute, clarinet & tuba. The teacher said that most kids don't get sound out of the flute right away.... and Taryn got it on the first try!!! So she'll be playing the flute next year. I really think she'll enjoy it - and her best friend is also playing the flute so it's a good thing to keep her going on it.

I was sorta hoping that she would end up with the clarinet, since thats what I played in Jr High (I quit band before high school), but hey, it's her choice.

Which brings up something else - she was telling me that one of her friends mom called the band teacher because she was upset that her child got chosen for a different insturment. They already had something at home, don't remember what it is, and she insists that she play that but thats not what she tested best in. I don't know how I feel about that because we don't have anything at home, we'll have to either rent or buy (I think we'll just buy... I can get one for less than $100). Should a band teacher cave in and allow the kid to play what the parent wants her/him to play? I guess Taryn's friend is happy with what the band teacher picked.

--------------------
user posted image
(Otherwise known as Berleen)
Mom to Taryn 9-25-1994 & Kristina 5-16-1996
Wife to Jason 7-22-95
PMEmail PosterYahoo
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I don't think that the band teacher should be picking for the kids at all. JMHO, but why wouldn't they let the kids play what they wanted? Sure, they might not be the best at it, but I think they would enjoy being just an average drummer who loves playing the drums more than being an excellent tuba player who hates the tuba.

I don't agree with the parent picking for the kids - but I definately don't agree with the band teacher picking either.
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

I played the clarinet for many years in the school band too

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL

Kittilicious
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,627

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Apr 30 2006, 07:29 AM)
I don't think that the band teacher should be picking for the kids at all. JMHO, but why wouldn't they let the kids play what they wanted? Sure, they might not be the best at it, but I think they would enjoy being just an average drummer who loves playing the drums more than being an excellent tuba player who hates the tuba.

I don't agree with the parent picking for the kids - but I definately don't agree with the band teacher picking either.

I think it's probably for the band itself... to better the band sort of thing. And probably alot of what was easier for the student to catch onto. If they caught on to one instrument really quick then chances are they will learn it alot easier than something else.

I guess that part didn't bother me, the band teachers are trained to pick out things like that. I thought it was wrong that a parent would fight the choice - of both the teacher and the student.

--------------------
user posted image
(Otherwise known as Berleen)
Mom to Taryn 9-25-1994 & Kristina 5-16-1996
Wife to Jason 7-22-95
PMEmail PosterYahoo
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

QUOTE (Kittilicious @ Apr 30 2006, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Apr 30 2006, 07:29 AM)
I don't think that the band teacher should be picking for the kids at all.  JMHO, but why wouldn't they let the kids play what they wanted?  Sure, they might not be the best at it, but I think they would enjoy being just an average drummer who loves playing the drums more than being an excellent tuba player who hates the tuba.

I think it's probably for the band itself... to better the band sort of thing. And probably alot of what was easier for the student to catch onto. If they caught on to one instrument really quick then chances are they will learn it alot easier than something else.

I guess that part didn't bother me, the band teachers are trained to pick out things like that. I thought it was wrong that a parent would fight the choice - of both the teacher and the student.

Well I understand why they would want to better the band. But I was in band for 8 years so I see the other side of it too. We weren't a competition band so just as much emphasis was placed on enjoying the experience as being good. To me the kids should be allowed to pick.

Also, I don't know how long they had to try out the instruments - but having tried out many in my day I have to disagree about catching on really quick meaning they'd be good. I caught on to the trumpet pretty quick when I tried it - but once I tried more difficult work than just scales I really sucked. rolling_smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted: May 1 2006, 03:44 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

Question....Are the kids required to be in the band?

Also - I don't think any adult should be telling the kids which instrument they are to play. A child isn't going to really enjoy playing anything they didn't pick for themselves. So what if the band doesn't sound wonderful -- it's a school band....everyone expects squeaking and songs played off-key when they go to a kids' concert. If a child tries something and it doesn't work out for them - or they just don't enjoy it - they should be allowed to change their instrument without having to ask the band leader's permission (that kind of thing should be between the child and the parents...IMO).

PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: May 1 2006, 04:13 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I think its up to the child which instrument they would like to play
John played the sax and Katie is playing the drums right now blink.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
danahas4monkeys
Posted: May 1 2006, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 942

Our school starts band in the 5th grade, the summer before school starts they have the music store bring all the instruments to the school for the kids to try out and then let the kids pick they dont tell the kids what to play or not to play but theydo tell them well maybe you'd be better suited for this or that , for example my dd had her choices as saxaphone, clarinet and flute mainly flute but they told them to pick 3 just in case one didnt work out. she tried all 3 and picked the flute, she's a natural, the other 2 instruments well sounded awful and i am thankful lol she picked the flute!

dana

--------------------
Dana
Mommy to Kimberly 14, Jordan 13, Alexis 7, and Andrew 5
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: May 30 2006, 02:16 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (Kittilicious @ Apr 30 2006, 05:04 AM)
Which brings up something else - she was telling me that one of her friends mom called the band teacher because she was upset that her child got chosen for a different insturment. They already had something at home, don't remember what it is, and she insists that she play that but thats not what she tested best in. I don't know how I feel about that because we don't have anything at home, we'll have to either rent or buy (I think we'll just buy... I can get one for less than $100). Should a band teacher cave in and allow the kid to play what the parent wants her/him to play? I guess Taryn's friend is happy with what the band teacher picked.

I personally think that the band teacher shouldn't have a say so and the child should pick what they are most interested in. I don't know what that is teaching kids when you force them to play something they don't want. Picking an intrument is a big deal to kids because it's something they put lots of hard work into and there isn't any motivation in a child if they are forced to play something they don't want to play. I think that the teacher picking who plays what is not a good idea in my opinion. Glad to read I'm not alone. I was a bit shocked when I read that to be honest. We always got to pick when I was in school and band was also not a requirement.

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on May 30 2006, 02:17 PM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: May 30 2006, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I am appaled personally that a band teacher would pick an instrument for a child. Even if it is for a better band. In our school system band is voluntary, and you can play what ever you want. Well, with a few exceptions. I wanted to play piccolo in 5th grade, but they don't have piccolos until high school here, so i started out with flute, but I did eventually get to play piccolo when I got into high school.
Band is supposed to be fun! how can it be fun if you are denyed playing what you really want? unsure.gif
PM
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: May 30 2006, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ May 30 2006, 07:09 PM)
Band is supposed to be fun! how can it be fun if you are denyed playing what you really want? unsure.gif

I agree completely!!

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
luvbug00
Posted: May 30 2006, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

I find the whole music thing at schools interesting....Mya starts recorder next year REQUIRED, and then the violin in 3rd grade REQUIRED. our kids have no choise and it's to help them to show commitment and dedication wiether they like it or not. I personaly would rather she play the piano or gitar but ya kow this is a top rated school in our area and we supposedly have the some of the best schools in the country so i guess they know what they are talking about.. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0144 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]