Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Physical Education Requirements
Kittilicious
Posted: Apr 28 2006, 05:40 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,627

Well here's a new one. Remember in P.E. when we had to run the mile? I hated it. I walked the darn thing.

This morning my daughter tells me she doesn't want to go to school. She says she has to run the mile again. Again? She just ran it 3 weeks ago and we were proud of her because she did it in 16 minutes... 2 minutes less than last year! She tells me this is her 4th time running it. She has to keep running it until she makes it in less than 13 minutes. She is the only one in her class who is still running... everyone else has gone on to the next activity in the class (some game, don't remember which one). I ask my older daughter who is a year ahead of her... she says they have to do it in less than 11 minutes and, yes, there are still kids in her class that are still running it.

Here's my problem. My daughter is overweight. She cannot run fast, she has a hard time running at all. She gets winded easily, which I know is because of the weight. We are working on helping her lose weight. My thoughts? Why not stick a big neon sign that says "fat loser" on her head while she is running around the gym in front of the entire class... time and time again. This is a new requirement I guess... they have to do it in the time allowed. Fine. Whatever. But what about the kids who can't do it in that time? Why keep humiliating them by putting them in such a spot? Trying to run it again and taking the best score out of the two I can see, but to do it until they get it?

Tell me I'm over-reacting here but all I can think about is my little girl running around that gym while her classmates (who are already picking on her) are laughing, pointing and whispering to each other. And they wonder why some kids say "enough is enough" and shoot their classmates.

Sorry... just a PO'ed mom.

--------------------
user posted image
(Otherwise known as Berleen)
Mom to Taryn 9-25-1994 & Kristina 5-16-1996
Wife to Jason 7-22-95
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0129 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]