Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Should I send DD to preschool, or homeschool?
daycare mom
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,883

My daughter is 3 1/2, and has gone to one session of preschool, and is going to go the rest of the year. My concern is that she is more advanced than the rest of the kids (there are only 9 in the class!), and she wants to learn to read and write. The class is focused on learning about holidays, basic facts about things like outer space, healthy foods, etc. I think it's great that she is learning all of this, but they don't teach ABC's or numbers at all. There is no advancement in the second year. When she goes back at age 4 next September, she will be starting all over again, because there will be new 3 year olds in the class. So she won't be learning anything new, or preparing for Kindergarten.

I am going on maternity leave in July, and luckily, I get a whole year off. So my question is, should I send her to preschool again, or should I teach her what she wants to know at home?
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Can you do both? send her to preschool where she can have the social interaction with other children, and you can have one on one time with your new baby, but then teach her reading and writing when she is at home?
PM
daycare mom
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

That's another choice, I guess. DD comes to daycare with me now, so I also have the option to keep sending her to daycare twice a week for the social aspect. I think it works out to almost the same price. The only thing is, that I can plan her daycare visits around feeding times, etc, but the preschool starts and ends at specific times.

This post has been edited by daycare mom on Jan 3 2006, 07:23 AM
PMEmail Poster

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I also agree that you can do both, but I think I'd look for another preschool. It's hard to find the "perfect" preschool, but I would at least look for one that builds on what they have learned in the following year.

My daughter is also interested in reading/writing and we do a lot of this at home. She's fascinated with sounding out words. They aren't teaching this in her preschool this year (3 year class), but we are working on it at home as long as she is interested in it. I do love her preschool though. She's like a little sponge and soaks up everything and has made some really good friends at preschool.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
daycare mom
Posted: Jan 3 2006, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Unfortunately, this is the only preschool here (very small town!). The teacher has no education in this area, but is basically a decent teacher. I just know she is being held back from the things she really wants to be learning.
PMEmail Poster
raysnroof
Posted: Feb 22 2006, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 689

It sounds like you really know what you want and what your daughter needs but are looking for some reassurance that you aren't taking on too much. I have taught home school preschool with infants in the house and so i want to assure you that it really is not that difficult. The older sibling can sit and hold books and point for you while you breastfeed. You can work together during the younger sibling's naps, too. You may also find that the older sibling is no longer bringing home that plethora of germs to pass on to her sibling. wink.gif There are plenty of materials to be found even for free on the internet. I also found that it takes far less time to teach just one child than it takes to teach many in a preschool setting. That 1-on-1 learning also helps them grasp concepts faster. I have just two warnings: 1) You may find you like home schooling so much that you never send her to school again. Be prepared for that to happen. wink.gif 2) You may find that she learns so much more from you that she is too far advanced to be happy in a conventional school.

Sharon smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
b&bsmom
Posted: Feb 22 2006, 04:36 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,757

I was going to suggest doing both as well. My son is the youngest in his class and can do more than most in his class. He turned 3 in Sept. (techincally should not be in the 3's class because you were supposed to be 3 by Sept 1) anyway, he knows and can recoginze his letters and numbers he can spell his name and count to 30. there are some kids in his class that can still not find there names. I send him because he needed the social aspect. I also send him because he gets a swim lesson once a week in his class and gets to experience other people teaching him as well as different arts and crafts. I teach preschool at home. I find I like it better with more than just my son. They feed off of each other and I think they learn more. It is a totally something that is up to you. I used to work in daycare and I would rather send my child to preschool because I feel they benefit more from it than daycare but that is just my experience. It is all on how you feel. My son used to be shy as well as my dd so sending them to preschool was a big help for them for social interaction outside the home. Good luck to you!!!

--------------------
user posted image]user posted image user posted image
Stacy wife to Jim and mom to Brittany 6/24/99 and Bryce 9/9/02

I've been hit Snowball fight 2006
PMEmail PosterAOL
daycare mom
Posted: Feb 23 2006, 05:52 AM
Quote Post

Sigh...tough decisions! I think I am going to keep her at home. I've already started gathering work books and homeschooling ideas. I just don't want her to go back and do the exact same themes as this year, you know? If it was focused more on Pre-Kindergarten, I would love that. But they don't have enough kids to split them up into two levels. Plus, it'll save me some much needed money!

Thanks for your opinions, they helped a lot! happy.gif
PMEmail Poster
raysnroof
Posted: Feb 27 2006, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 689

Be careful not to gather too many workbooks. They looks nice but they may end up simply gathering dust or boring her more than preschool if you have too many. Young children learn mostly through doing. In fact, it is going to be easier, in the long-run, to teach your child through active learning than through workbooks even as they grow older. Workbook retention is stastically about a 50% rate for retention compared to a 90% retention rate for activly learning. This is something I actually learned after I quit teaching at private schools and began teaching at home. I used to give preschool children gobs of worksheet pages. sad.gif Anyway, i thought I would share my thoughts. there is nothing wrong with worksheets except that older children will need to do twice as much work to retain the information and young children aren't really wired to learn that way. Try a combo of ativities and play with limited worksheets if she likes them. If you need to check any curriculum you find to see what others though of it, here is a great site.

www.homeschoolreviews.com There is even a board there with some very chatty and learned moms. Also, www.Babycenter.com has a home school preschool board and the gals there are very understanding.

Glad to help if I can,
Sharon smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Feb 28 2006, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

If there were another preschool in your area, I would probably suggest that first. But since there isn't, I would keep her home and teach her ABCs, reading, and writing yourself. As far as social interaction, yes the daycare and preschool are good for that, but it doesn't mean she can't get it other ways. I am a SAHM and although my son is much younger, we are constantly interacting with other kids through two playgroups, mom's group activities, swim lessons and just going to the park. It can be done if you find the right resources. Good luck!

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Oscar
Posted: Feb 28 2006, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,142

My personal opinion is that they expect way to much out of children as it is. Don't worry if u think she's not being stimulated enough, she has her whole life to worry about all that other stuff; Plus I agree with everyone else if you must do both, child interaction is very healthy!
Oscar
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0160 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]