Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dyslexia in children
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this...but I was just thinking about the possibilities of Wil being dyslexic since both DH and my FIL are. I know it is way too early to tell, but I'm wondering if anyone's children are and how the school system works with dyslexia these days...anyone know?? It scares me because I've heard horror stories of kids being ignored or told they are worthless...For example:

My DH was told by his high school academic counselor that he would NEVER go to college and when he first started high school, they put him in Special Ed because they didn't know what else to do with him!! How awful is that for a fifteen year old child to hear?? He of course got in with a bad crowd because he felt more accepted by them and didn't get very good grades. Anyway, my DH did end up going to a wonderful private college and actually graduated with honors. He is now in a very well paying job in which he is highly respected. And just yesterday, his boss who is VP of the company, said he would like my DH to replace him if he were to ever leave. Sorry to brag, but I am just so proud of him that he learned to ignore those telling him he was worthless and worked hard to get where he is today even with his disability!! I feel he is very succesful and I pray that if Wil happens to be dyslexic too, he has the wisdom and courage my DH has!!

Thanks for letting me share...

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Well my nephew has dyslexia. He was diagnosed at 9, I think. I don't know about public schools but the montessouri school system he was in, which is highly respected around here, did not catch it til he was 9. Not sure when they should have but I think they should have a bit sooner considering several issues. Since he had trouble reading things and stuff he'd just act out in class and get in trouble like crazy. This went on for a year or more before they said "oh, maybe there is something else going on". So he was evaluated and was told that he had it. My SIL was angry because her ex never told her he was dyslexic so she never knew to look for the signs.

He did go to Sylvan Learning Center when he lived here. They've since moved to Georgia so not sure where he is going there for his help w/it. He is also in Montessouri school there as well.

It's good that you know in advance to look for it. My understanding is that it is hereditary. So just keep an eye out, which I'm sure you will wink.gif.

FWIW, my nephew is AWESOME at computers so I don't think any less of him for being dyslexic. Just because he has trouble with some things doesn't mean he won't be great in others. Same goes for those who don't have it, but may have trouble with biology but great in english. You learn to find things your good at and that's what you do. wink.gif.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

brag away! your DH has a lot to be proud of overcoming all that on his own! hug.gif

i am quite sure Jacob is dyslexic tho they refuse to "label" him that at 9yo. he is a bright kid who has superior math and verbal skills but really struggles when it comes to reading and writing. his optometrist told me he has visual perception problems.. what his eye sees and brain processes are two different things so it takes longer for him to translate everything.

i'll be honest, until grade two, Jacob got virtually no help and was yelled at often by his teachers. it took months of me dragging him from one doc to another to PROVE to the school there was something wrong. i also have to stay on them constantly because the class teachers are just not equipped to deal with him and tend to get frustrated which developed anxiety for my son. dry.gif you have to be active in all of this.. don't let up for a second. don't be afraid to tell the teacher or principal the work is too much or you need more support. put it in writing! i pray this disability skips a generation and you don't have to deal with it.

there seems to be more support in secondary and post secondary schools for LDs. i know many that accomodate kids for untimed, separate testing. even verbal. all written may be typed. extensions on deadlines etc. the resources are available, you just have to do your homework and keep fighting for your kid. hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Thanks to both of you for the information. Funny thing is, my DH went to a Montessori nursery school which didn't treat him so well. The teachers were frustrated with him and mean. So his parents found a Waldorf school which fit his needs. Of course HS was terrible, but he found a college which I believed allowed him to take audio exams, where he would give the answers on tape instead of having to write a huge essay. Or he would have special tutors. The classes were also very small. He has always excelled at math and history, but yes, english has always been really rough on him.

It's a tough situation, because on one hand, I wouldn't want my child who may be an over achiever to get left behind because teacher's are taking all their time with learning disorders, but at the same time, I wouldn't want it to be the opposite either. Where do you meet in the middle? I want Wil to go to public school, but it does scare me that he won't be treated equally or that teachers will take out frustration on him. It could happen anywhere though. I suppose it's a parent's responsibility to intervene when needed. Hopefully sooner than later. Sounds like you're doing a great job Kimberely!! thumb.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

My husband has dyslexia and I believe Madeline has it too. He said that when he was diagnosed he was put in special classes where he could have more one on one attention. Of course since Madeline is homeschooled she gets that anyways but we are still struggling. It's hard, but we just take it day-by-day.

When the time comes I would just talk to Wil's teachers about your concerns. That way they know if he is having problems there is probably a specific reason and it can be taken care of right from the start.

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

If you'd like to read more about the subject I can recommend a wonderful book. It's called "The Gift of Dyslexia" by Ronald D. Davis. It is readable, fun, and jammed packed with useable info such as what constitutes dyslexia, how to use the brain process to your benefit and stop fighting the brain's natural inclination, etc. This guy has penned multiple books on the subject but this one is great. thumb.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Nov 3 2005, 07:22 PM)
If you'd like to read more about the subject I can recommend a wonderful book. It's called "The Gift of Dyslexia" by Ronald D. Davis. It is readable, fun, and jammed packed with useable info such as what constitutes dyslexia, how to use the brain process to your benefit and stop fighting the brain's natural inclination, etc. This guy has penned multiple books on the subject but this one is great. thumb.gif

thumb.gif Thanks! I'll try and pick it up either at the library or Amazon!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I know in our school their are 2 teachers trained to work with children with dyslexia
If Wil is I hope you have teachers there that can help him over come this

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Boys r us
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Alliebelle & Mommy

Member No.: 378

I think in general the schools have come a long way in dealing with issues like this than in our generation! I don't know anyone who is dyslexic; however, my little brother was diagnosed with ADHD in HS and the schools were AWESOME in allowing him extra time to do exams and also having monthly meetings, yes all 7 teachers in HS, with my mom at once so that they could discuss his progress! he graduated HS a straight A student with honors! now he is in his 2nd year at Virginia Tech and is also making A's there in their business program which is a KILLER tough program! I'm so proud of him..but even at VT they allow him extra time on his tests!! I think it's great how flexible the schools have been! he hasn't received any pushback from any of his teachers since being diagnosed!

--------------------
NICHOLE
Wife to Rick and Mommy to my 3 loves..Tanner, Braedon and Alexandra MiaBella
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Nov 3 2005, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (mysweetpeaWil @ Nov 3 2005, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Nov 3 2005, 07:22 PM)

thumb.gif Thanks! I'll try and pick it up either at the library or Amazon!

Or, if you are a real "cheapie" like me, try half.com. I get most book there for pennies on the dollar!!!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0181 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]