Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HOw can K not be mandatory?
moped
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,035

Yes it is all in fun - but it is interesting to hear other peoples thoughts - nobody is going to agree on everything, and you have a strong personality, so I need to ask you questions cause I know you will answer them honestly.

I find it interesting that you can tell us how we parent, even thuogh technically you dont know any of us. Your children are obviously gifted, most are not. Like I said, Jack is almost 18 months and doesn't say a single word that I totally understand. I spend so much time with him,. but i am not one to push learning on him and MAKE him say the ABC's and 123's, I feel 17 months is awful young - I guess I have an "unhurried approach" to parenting.

I think it is wonderful that you spend all this quality time with your children, as we all do...........but you have no clue what we do with our children on a day to day basis.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
ammommy
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Happy Easter!

Member No.: 1,117

Wow, I'm surprised that this turned into a debate. I guess you never know what will spark conversation. Thanks for the info, everyone. I just don't understand why education requirements vary so much from state to state in one country.

Jen, Alec was the same way at 18 months. I couldn't understand a darned word the kid was babbling (well, I could but I was the only one). Now, he amazes me by doing simple addition and some subtraction. Boy did that freak me out the first time he did it ohmy.gif It's true that kids will learn on their own pace as long as we give them the opportunity to (like I'm sure we all do).

Rocky, it sounds like you parent the way I do. I don't push, but if we are looking at something we are going to talk about it. For example, if we are looking at animals, we don't see a moo-cow, we see a brown and white cow out in the pasture. Again, not to push anything, just because that's how I was raised.
However, now we are working on "just a minute, I'm talking to X" biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lisa, SAHM to Megan and Alec
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (jenhopkins2000 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:45 PM)
I find it interesting that you can tell us how we parent, even thuogh technically you dont know any of us. Your children are obviously gifted, most are not. Like I said, Jack is almost 18 months and doesn't say a single word that I totally understand. I spend so much time with him,. but i am not one to push learning on him and MAKE him say the ABC's and 123's, I feel 17 months is awful young - I guess I have an "unhurried approach" to parenting.

I think it is wonderful that you spend all this quality time with your children, as we all do...........but you have no clue what we do with our children on a day to day basis.

How did I tell you how you parent? huh.gif I mentionned that I see parents do things... I don't SEE you..... I see them, literally..... lol rolleyes.gif

I don't push learning either... it's not likt the kids don't play... lol

Glad to know my honesty is appreciated!!! rolling_smile.gif

Maybe 17 months is young... maybe it isn't. Who knows - Naomie imght not be as quick to pick up on things as the other 2!! happy.gif can't tell you until i'm there!!!

We all parent differently - and I would never say your way or anyone elses way was dumb... i'm just sharing MY experiences and my kids' experiences, amd their learnig curve. Does that make you feel insecure? Sometimes when people get upset at somerone else's opinion, it's because they're insecure. I know I get all huffy if I'm talking about breastfeeding... cuz i'm very insecure about it (not saying you're insecure, and not calling you huffy, don't misunderstand... lol)

unsure.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

baileygirl
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (ediep @ Nov 1 2005, 03:33 PM)
yup, its mandatory here, but preschool isn't.

Same here.
moped
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (jenhopkins2000 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:45 PM)
I find it interesting that you can tell us how we parent, even thuogh technically you dont know any of us.  Your children are obviously gifted, most are not.  Like I said, Jack is almost 18 months and doesn't say a single word that I totally understand.  I spend so much time with him,. but i am not one to push learning on him and MAKE him say the ABC's and 123's, I feel 17 months is awful young - I guess I have an "unhurried approach" to parenting. 

How did I tell you how you parent? huh.gif I mentionned that I see parents do things... I don't SEE you..... I see them, literally..... lol rolleyes.gif

I don't push learning either... it's not likt the kids don't play... lol

Glad to know my honesty is appreciated!!! rolling_smile.gif

Maybe 17 months is young... maybe it isn't. Who knows - Naomie imght not be as quick to pick up on things as the other 2!! happy.gif can't tell you until i'm there!!!

We all parent differently - and I would never say your way or anyone elses way was dumb... i'm just sharing MY experiences and my kids' experiences, amd their learnig curve. Does that make you feel insecure? Sometimes when people get upset at somerone else's opinion, it's because they're insecure. I know I get all huffy if I'm talking about breastfeeding... cuz i'm very insecure about it (not saying you're insecure, and not calling you huffy, don't misunderstand... lol)

unsure.gif

Nope, never been the insecure type.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Good to know Jen!!! rolling_smile.gif

ammommy - yup - that's what I do too. It's not pushing the learning... but it's going a little further than some. We do the black and white cow in the pasture too - and we add What does a Cow say? if the kids seem interested, we continue... with other animals, and what anumals live on a farm, etc etc...and we continue on and on until the kids don't seem interested anymore.

It's a game to them... it's fun for them... and they learn from it!!

If it helps them...why not? it's not doing them any harm - they are 'playing' and spending time with us... it's educational at the same time. They also play with us games like tag and ring-around-the-rosie, hide and seek, and tickles... so it's not all about learning... but like, if they're getting dressed - we put the RED sock on the LEFT FOOT, and we count to make sure all FIVE TOES are in the RED SOCK....they get their toes tickled - but they got Red, left, toes, five out of it... and next time we put socks on, they fill in the blank, so to speak - they say the color, the left or right, the body part, and they count the toes... it's not poushing them at all... if they don't want to answer, they won't, that's all there is to it.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Kindergarten is not mandatory here, either. Although Maddie has been in school since she was 2. Still, Kinder was a big eye opener for her and us. She goes to a college prep private school and it is very demanding (of both parents and students alike) I spend a lot of time with her everyday going thru vocabulary words, spelling words, reading, counting, adding and subtracting, etc. I'm amazed at what all is introduced to her. Even more than that, I'm amazed at her capability of learning it so soon and quickly. Never underestimate what your children can learn. Don't be afraid to introduce things by fear that they might be too advanced. Really, they learn so much quicker than we do and are capable of retaining so much more at an earlier age. These little boogers are SMART!!

I'm glad we sent Maddie to school at 2. I think it really prepared her for where she is now. While Kinder is not mandatory, I think it is necessary. I'm not a dead beat parent, but they are doing things with her that I never would have thought to do. blush.gif With Ethan I will know better, but I'm not a teacher so I had no idea what to work on with her. Luckily she isn't behind, but she is also farm from advanced. We are just working harder with her and it doesnt' bother her at all.

But, it is true what Rocky said...parents really need to work with their children. I dont' think there is one person on this board that wouldnt' do that, but they really stress parental involvement in school.

AND, Mel had a great point that you get more out of kindergarten than 'learning abc's, etc" You socialize your child. That is so important. Even for children who are home schooled. wink.gif Even though Maddie went to preschool for 3 years, there were things that they let her get by with that she cannot get by with in Kinder. Like I said, it has been an eye opening experience. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 04:47 PM)

ammommy - yup - that's what I do too. It's not pushing the learning... but it's going a little further than some. We do the black and white cow in the pasture too - and we add What does a Cow say? if the kids seem interested, we continue... with other animals, and what anumals live on a farm, etc etc...and we continue on and on until the kids don't seem interested anymore.

If it helps them...why not? it's not doing them any harm - they are 'playing' and spending time with us... it's educational at the same time. They also play with us games like tag and ring-around-the-rosie, hide and seek, and tickles... so it's not all about learning... but like, if they're getting dressed - we put the RED sock on the LEFT FOOT, and we count to make sure all FIVE TOES are in the RED SOCK....they get their toes tickled - but they got Red, left, toes, five out of it... and next time we put socks on, they fill in the blank, so to speak - they say the color, the left or right, the body part, and they count the toes... it's not poushing them at all... if they don't want to answer, they won't, that's all there is to it.

Wow Rocky have you ever thought about being a parenting coach?

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (jenhopkins2000 @ Nov 25 2005, 12:33 PM)
Will your children go to K Rocky??

Because it's mandatory, yes. If they can have a better experience than I did, bonus.

I'm just curious... would you send them if it wasn't mandatory?
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mom2tripp @ Nov 25 2005, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 04:47 PM)

Wow Rocky have you ever thought about being a parenting coach?

no. I wouldn't DREAM of telling parents what to do with their kids as a job.... I have my opinions, and when asked I share them... but that's it. Some people get wayuyyyy too touchy about their parenting.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Nov 25 2005, 10:07 PM)

Because it's mandatory, yes. If they can have a better experience than I did, bonus.

If the curriculum taught them stuff that I couldn't, didn't think of, or won't, sure. If they can learn from it, sure.

But if they would only be learning socializing skills, then probably not, because of daycare..... they get plenty there, and will be getting ore when they start their children's group music class. sorry!!

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Nov 25 2005, 10:07 PM)

If the curriculum taught them stuff that I couldn't, didn't think of, or won't, sure. If they can learn from it, sure.

But if they would only be learning socializing skills, then probably not, because of daycare..... they get plenty there, and will be getting ore when they start their children's group music class. sorry!!

No reason to be sorry - it seems like logical reasoning to me.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

No reason to be sorry - it seems like logical reasoning to me.

happy.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

My little man

I think a lot of parents (not directed at anyone in particular!!!!!) feel like their child is just PERFECT and just would not learn one more thing because they are so advanced and far ahead for their age. I personally feel that when Tripp does reach Kindergarten age he will benefit not only from learning new things mentally but he will also learn how to socialize which is a MAJOR life skill!!! Kindergarten is mandatory here and I am all for it. I stay at home with Tripp now and feel like I take every oppurtunity of the day to teach him new things, but you know sometimes a kid just needs to be away from his/her parents and learn on their own.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mom2tripp @ Nov 25 2005, 11:18 PM)
I think a lot of parents (not directed at anyone in particular!!!!!) feel like their child is just PERFECT and just would not learn one more thing because they are so advanced and far ahead for their age.

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

sure.... my kids are far from perfect..... but I do like to think they're smart. Like evrey parent, I liuke being able to share stories about things my kids do... what parent doesn't??

I am also very happy when they have an opportunity to learn something... I just think that in regards to K... they know a lot of what the K HERE teaches.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

My little man

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (mom2tripp @ Nov 25 2005, 11:18 PM)
I think a lot of parents (not directed at anyone in particular!!!!!)  feel like their child is just PERFECT and just would not learn one more thing because they are so advanced and far ahead for their age.

sure.... my kids are far from perfect..... but I do like to think they're smart. Like evrey parent, I liuke being able to share stories about things my kids do... what parent doesn't??

I am also very happy when they have an opportunity to learn something... I just think that in regards to K... they know a lot of what the K HERE teaches.

I agree with you, I always like to brag about Tripp and when the time comes around and I think he knows everything they are teaching in K I might change my tune, you never know rolleyes.gif

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mom2tripp @ Nov 25 2005, 11:25 PM)

I agree with you, I always like to brag about Tripp and when the time comes around and I think he knows everything they are teaching in K I might change my tune, you never know rolleyes.gif

Kindergarden is pretty different in different parts of the world... K in Canada is different than K in the US... and even more so in Quebec.. unfortunately... I hate to bash the place I live in (no I don't... lol!!!) but Quebec has some pretty funky ways of doing things.

Their Education system is not one I look forward to subjecting my kids to.

For example - when someone says: "nationally, or nation-wide" you assume they're talking (in US's case) about across the US?

In Canada, when you say "Nationally, or nation-side", it's taken as across Canada.

EXCEPT HERE!!!!!!

I say national and mean across Canada - but they take it as JUST ACROSS QUEBEC!!!!!!!!

I can't freakin stand it. Maybe that has some bearing on why I think K is not right for my kids...... rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
3_call_me_mama
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Waiting for sun!

Member No.: 254

Mna Rocky we SERIOUSLY have to meet! I'm sitting here reading this thinking, gosh she's saying exactally what i am thinking boy I wish i had the brass to say this adn not feel like crap after everyone beats you down fo rit:) LOL Seriously, i have a very similar paretnign style, and learning approach when it comes to my kids and theri education. I'm still on teh fence about the whole public school kindergarten thing and such. The main reason I would consider havign them go is becasue Cameron wants to "go to school" seriously that is the sole reason. There is NOTHING that they can teach him there that i can't teach him, or expose him to in our environment/take himout to learn more about. I SOOOO wish i could be organized enough and have enough confidence in myself to homeschool him. Because I KNOW When he does go he's gonna be bored. I was at the K screenign the other night (helping out with a community thing) and teh parents adn teachers there were shocked to find out that he wasn't a) already in K and B0 that he wasn't going next year cause he's just turned 3, 2 weeks ago!! Actually teh principal suggested looking into private grade schools and possibly homeschooling sue to where he was now.. she herslef said the school is set to meet teh needs of the GENERAL public, and teh developmentally delayed through teh special ed program. So he would either sit bored or act out to get attention caseu there was no way they could focus energy and attention on one student that was not special ed and beyond regualr ed. Straight from a principals mouth. So now back to the drawing board for us. But I'm not seeking advice on here again.. Got slammed last time... not headed there agian. But KUDO"S to you for the bravery to honestly state you mind, you must have broad shoulders to take the criticism on:) GO GIRL I live Vicariously through you... i take too much personally!
blahblah.gif ok I'll hush up now!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 25 2005, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I'm LMAO right now!!!

I SOOOO wish i could be organized enough and have enough confidence in myself to homeschool him.

oh me too. In past posts i've mentionned i'd like to homeschool...

but i don't have broad shoulders... i'm just a smart-mouthed 23 year old!! wink.gif

hey - it's just my opinion. I happily try to explian myself the best i can... but we can't make everone happy all of the time. hug.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
TANNER'S MOM
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 03:47 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 824

I do agree schools and what the teach are vastly different. Here in the states even. I have a friend who's daughter came from Oklahoma..one state away and had to fail 1st grade because here in Kindergarten our kids were already reading. She didn't know her sounds or how to put her words together. So, it really hurt her in the move.

So, I do understand that point. To be honest I have always worked with my kids as Rocky was saying... I think we all play little games with them at all different ages. I still do. I play a game where we start a start a story...and everyone adds a line...just to help us be creative and mine our 15..

Well I think Kindergarten is a must..and should be mandotory. I also think that parents shouldn't be judged if there children aren't at the exact same level. Paren't who don't push potty training, or only wean when the child is ready, or don't want to be pushy it seems suddenly become competitive about the learning milestones. I don't mean anyone here but I mean in general.

I would like to say I too think my kids are the smartest, the best...lol My Granny used to have an old south saying..And I say it alot.. No matter what your kids do, where they are with milestone.. whether it is walking, talking, reading, writing, looks, clothes etc..

Every old crow thinks her's is the blackest.

Meaning no matter what the mother is like.. good bad... pretty.. short, fat.. her baby is the best.. and I say it is so true. Cause mine are. It is just our natural skill to worry about every little thing.. is this the right time to be doing this.. well htey did this early .. you know. I had a cousin who used to call me when her daughter pee'd..lol But she was just celebrating how proud she was..so I yelled go..holly go too@

--------------------
PM
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 25 2005, 09:38 PM)
Kindergarden is pretty different in different parts of the world... K in Canada is different than K in the US... and even more so in Quebec.. unfortunately... I hate to bash the place I live in (no I don't... lol!!!) but Quebec has some pretty funky ways of doing things.

Their Education system is not one I look forward to subjecting my kids to.

For example - when someone says: "nationally, or nation-wide" you assume they're talking (in US's case) about across the US?

In Canada, when you say "Nationally, or nation-side", it's taken as across Canada.

EXCEPT HERE!!!!!!

I say national and mean across Canada - but they take it as JUST ACROSS QUEBEC!!!!!!!!

I can't freakin stand it. Maybe that has some bearing on why I think K is not right for my kids...... rolling_smile.gif

This is exactly why my children will go to private school. wink.gif Scotty and I both had horrible education experiences and we didn't grow up in the same town. Sure, I think a lot of that is b/c our parents didn't know to work with us more at home. I will be sure not to make that same mistake, but their lives were so different back then and I don't blame my parents for not knowing. wink.gif College wasn't viewed the same when they grew up as it is now (mom was middle class, dad was poor). Just the rich kids went to college.

The town where I grew up had a horrible education system. I didn't learn anything. Scotty is just naturally smart and fortunately he went further than I did and got his degree. Anyway, I've heard where we are living now has a great public school, but Scotty and I wanted the private school for so many reasons (home schooling wasn't an option tongue.gif ) My point is, that ALL schools are different. Every district is different. Every child is different. I'm just glad I have options.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Nov 26 2005, 11:10 AM)
This is exactly why my children will go to private school. wink.gif

ditto.......see my previous posts about the great private school I found, that I WILL be sending ALL my kids to.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Nov 26 2005, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Nov 26 2005, 11:10 AM)
This is exactly why my children will go to private school.  wink.gif

ditto.......see my previous posts about the great private school I found, that I WILL be sending ALL my kids to.

biggrin.gif

I think you will be very pleased with that route, Rocky. wink.gif We LOVE LOVE LOVE Maddie's school. Her teacher loves her and has really worked with her and gotten to know her. I'm up there every Friday so she knows I'm involved and I work with her as well. We e-mail each other back and forth a lot to make sure we are all on the same page. She just really puts a lot of effort into teaching. We are religious people and we like that aspect as well. happy.gif

Like I said, I'm just so glad we have options these days b/c every family needs something that will work for them.
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I'm sure I will love it too!!! it's not really expensive too. Well it is - but the same costs, pretty much, as daycare.

I'm so glad there are options.

You know, where I live, you're not ALLOWED to go to an english school unless one of your parents went to an english school... how dumb is that? Talk about narrow-minded....

erg.

I plan to be very involved in my kids' schooling. Probably to the annoying point...but not so annoying that theteacers take it out on the kids. Just enough for the kids to go: Mooo-OOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Nov 26 2005, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

They definitely know who I am at Maddie's school, but not to the point to where they say "Oh here she comes" They know who my child is, but I don't think they know my first name (in the office) her teacher does of course. wink.gif I try to help out as much as I can up there and they love that. I don't stick my nose where it doesn't belong and I don't call all the time. I just try to be involved where my child is concerned. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0195 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]