Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I think this is unconstitutional!!!!, school levy + busing
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Jul 17 2005, 04:34 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

My sister lives in an area that just recently passed a school levy to build new schools. So, they have all brand new schools. Then, the district tried to pass another levy. However, it failed because the residents had just passed one. Now, they have cut out all sports (except football). Her daughter made cheerleading but they won't be having cheerleaders. They won't have text books, they have to share and leave the text books at the school. But, get this... they cut out all busses!!! So, those that don't live within walking distance have to find their own way to school and home. What if a family doesn't have a car? Isn't that denying a child an education???!!! My sister will have to go to work late and leave early to pick them up. Her daughter has to pay dues to be in student council (she's the class president) and for honor society! Isn't that just crazy????!!!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvbug00
Posted: Jul 17 2005, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,984

What!!! OMG I'd contact my congress person ASAP they are denying the rights of the kids whose parents do not have cars or can't afford to get off work to pick up their kids!! I think that's highly detrimental to the education of thease kids. They say a teachers biggest challange while teaching is accomidating all tardy students and it's detrimental to the education of all. How horrible!!! mad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
mammag
Posted: Jul 17 2005, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

Ooh that makes me so angry. That was a contributing factor for me homeschooling. They were doing things like that in our district. They have a new levy practically every election and then when voters had enough and voted it down they made cuts to many things including buses. Then when they passed another one they made plans to build a new school..... I thought you needed money for buses and extracurricular activities..not another new school. Then they tried to pass another one to create a campus like atmosphere among the schools. Let's focus on necessities before we start trying to get all fancy.

I agree, it sounds like they could be denying an education to some kids. I bet they end up putting another one up soon and it will pass with flying colors. It's disgusting tactics!! mad.gif

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

ediep
Posted: Jul 18 2005, 04:04 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

thats really a shame, I guess it was well thought outwhen thy decided ti build the new school.

Maybe your sister could set up a car pool with some neighbors or friends, so she doesn't have to miss so much work

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
maestra
Posted: Jul 18 2005, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

While the law provides for public schooling, it does not provide for transportation to that school. There is nothing that says that your district has to provide bussing at all. In the downtown Phoenix high schools, the state mass transit issues student passes to those kids, and they get to ride the city bus for free.

You should know that there are two parts to the school budget- the first side goes to capital (buildings, books, etc.- tangible items) and the second goes to maintenance and operations (that means staffing only). Money raised for one side cannot be used to pay for the other.

That being said- they may have spent so much on the buildings that they cannot afford to purchase enough textbooks for the students to take home, and especially to potentially ruin or loose. They may have enough money next year.

As for the bussing- it could be part of the same problem, or it could be a m&o budget problem, meaning that they have the busses, but can't afford to pay anyone to drive them. But it seems like it's more that they don't have the money to pay for the busses. That would also go for extracurricular activities- if it is a sport that requires equipment- ie uniforms, pom poms, hockey sticks, or anything like that, then they may also have run out of the money to purchase these items.

Two things that are important to remember- first, building schools is expensive- were talking in the tens of millions and up. Secondly, the budget is new every year, starting July 1, so there may be money in the budget to purchase these items next school year. I hope that helped a little! wavey.gif

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 18 2005, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the explanation. thumb.gif You did put a new light on things.

They already have the busses, they've had them every year. I guess they are saying they don't have the money to run them. I think they should have realized this when they decided to build all new schools. Some of the schools in the district needed to be torn down, but some weren't that old. In my opinion, books and getting kids to school is more important. It just sounds like poor planning to me. But, in reality, I think they are using this as a tactic to pass the next levy. If it were me, I would move.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 18 2005, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I forgot to mention, some people are upset that the teachers got a raise and better benefits. I would not be upset about that... I think teachers are already under-paid. If you want good teachers, then you should pay accordingly, IMO.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

maestra
Posted: Jul 18 2005, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jul 18 2005, 07:42 AM)
Thanks for the explanation. thumb.gif You did put a new light on things.

They already have the busses, they've had them every year. I guess they are saying they don't have the money to run them. I think they should have realized this when they decided to build all new schools. Some of the schools in the district needed to be torn down, but some weren't that old. In my opinion, books and getting kids to school is more important. It just sounds like poor planning to me. But, in reality, I think they are using this as a tactic to pass the next levy. If it were me, I would move.

But for the bus drivers- if paying the drivers is the problem, it has nothing to do with the building side of the budget. The two sides can never cross. Unfortunately, in that case it would probably be the teacher pay raises that are to blame for the shortage in $$.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Jul 19 2005, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

In our district, any large proposals that require huge expenditures are discussed ad nauseum before the public at board of ed meetings long before they are put out for a vote. But most people don't bother to show up at these meetings unless they're vehemently opposed to something. I find the whole situation you described practically inconceivable. Wasn't the necessity/economic viability of building new schools discussed beforehand? No one saw the shortfall coming?
Here our school district covers 100 square miles. Our transportation budget is the second largest portion of the entire budget. There are kids in rural outlying areas that need to ride the bus for almost an hour to get to school. I can't imagine what would happen to them without the school bus system. And no sports/activities?? Those are the things that make school bearable for some kids. I'd take our crappy 50 yr old buildings anyday if it meant giving up everything else. Sounds like a very poorly run school district.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Jamielou
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

~ laney bug ~

Member No.: 1,829

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Jul 19 2005, 08:48 AM)
In our district, any large proposals that require huge expenditures are discussed ad nauseum before the public at board of ed meetings long before they are put out for a vote. But most people don't bother to show up at these meetings unless they're vehemently opposed to something. I find the whole situation you described practically inconceivable. Wasn't the necessity/economic viability of building new schools discussed beforehand? No one saw the shortfall coming?
Here our school district covers 100 square miles. Our transportation budget is the second largest portion of the entire budget. There are kids in rural outlying areas that need to ride the bus for almost an hour to get to school. I can't imagine what would happen to them without the school bus system. And no sports/activities?? Those are the things that make school bearable for some kids. I'd take our crappy 50 yr old buildings anyday if it meant giving up everything else. Sounds like a very poorly run school district.

saywha.gif I cant beleive there wont be any transportation for the kids to get to and from school that is crazy what do the kids do who dont have any way of getting there , do they just not go?

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0137 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]