Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Music lessons?, for little ones

Does your child get music lessons now or do you plan to start your child on an instrument before age 6?
Yes, early exposure to music/practice is very important to me. [ 7 ]  [21.88%]
Yes, it's a plan but I won't push unless my child shows interest. [ 8 ]  [25.00%]
Maybe, I haven't decided at this point. [ 4 ]  [12.50%]
No, I'll wait until he/she is older and can decide independently. [ 9 ]  [28.12%]
No, I prefer early lessons in another area (e.g. dance, art) [ 4 ]  [12.50%]
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Brias3
Posted on Mar 21 2006, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419

Music is a big part of our family so the kids have always been involved in music things due to the common interest. Yes, I think its important but I also think that children can benefit from lots of different types of extracurricular type activity while they are young.

My youngest LOVES music- listening to and singing it- so I enrolled him at a toddler music class at a local music conservatory. It's basically a music version of a Mom n' Me class, we sing and also dance to children's music, but he loves it. Ryan is just about to start up drum lessons and is interested in guitar as well, as my husband is a guitar player for enjoyment too. Aliyah tried violin while we were living overseas but that was shortlived. She much prefers dancing and gymnastics.

As for me, I think musical exposure and education is important but not crucial at a young age. I was never forced into music as a child because of bad experiences my mom had as a young girl. I did willingly try piano but soon discovered I was more of a dance/sports girl.

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
MamaJAM
Posted on Mar 22 2006, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,880

I plan to wait until/if my kids want to take music lessons. Also - I think lessons before age 6 is a bit early -- possibly at 5 (but only if they REALLY want them).

DD#1 took violin (her choice) in 3rd grade (age 8) -- but they were group lessons at the school and she was the only one in her group who cared and practiced - and she lost interest quickly. For her 13th b-day last fall all she wanted was a guitar -- which we bought her and she started lessons a short time later -- she's been taking private lessons for 2.5 months now and LOVING it! I'm sure she'll keep this up for a very long time.

DD#2 has stated an interest in music lessons now too -- but she wants to play the drums. ohmy.gif Aside from the fact that there is nowhere in our house to safely keep a drum-set....I don't think my head could handle it. I'm trying to get her interested in a smaller (quieter) instrument.

DD#3's choice of 'insturment' is her voice. She joined the choir at our synagogue two years ago (at age 5). She was loving choir until lately when half of rehearsal times are spent with the director having to discipline kids who don't want to be there (parents pushing kids to be in the choir)...so DD quit because it was too upsetting for her to be there. Hopefully - she'll join another choir (the school has one starting in 3rd grade) when she's older (or the choir she's been in will get straightened out). Possibly when she's older she'll take an instrument - but only if SHE wants to.

The boys are too young -- 3.5 and 2.5 -- if they ask when they are older - I'll galdly find them a teacher.
PM
Bee_Kay
Posted on Mar 23 2006, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,257

Ash took flute lessons for a few years, then got bored with it and took this year off. She plans on starting again next school year.
Ty will be starting music lessions this year, he had no interest when he was younger.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2089 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]