Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> question about mastitis
~Roo'sMama~
  Posted: Jun 26 2007, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 788

I have mastitis again, but it's not quite as bad as it was the other times I've gotten it. I'm thinking about just letting it work itself out on its own and not get on antibiotics this time - for those of you who've had mastitis and not gotten an antibiotic, how long did it take to get better? unsure.gif I wouldn't even consider not doing the antibiotics if it was as bad as last time, but it only hurts a little and it's not bright red, just a little pink. wink.gif I really don't want to take antibiotics again because I know I'll get thrush if I do. wacko.gif My fever is what's making me the most miserable, but I'm trying to keep it down with tylenol.

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
lovemy2
Posted: Jun 26 2007, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Now - I know nothing about this at all mind you - but if it is an infection that requires antibiotics won't it only get worse if it isn't treated? Maybe by treating it early you won't need as strong an antibiotic and maybe won't get the thrush idontknow.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 26 2007, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (lovemy2 @ Jun 26 2007, 11:27 AM)
Now - I know nothing about this at all mind you - but if it is an infection that requires antibiotics won't it only get worse if it isn't treated? Maybe by treating it early you won't need as strong an antibiotic and maybe won't get the thrush idontknow.gif

I'm not really sure how it works, but I know there have been a couple ladies on this board who have had it in the past and not gotten treated for it. dunno.gif You would think since it's an infection you have to treat it, but I don't know.

I have gotten thrush every time I've been on an antibiotic while nursing, with all different kinds of doses. I HATE thrush - it's so hard to get rid of! I seem to be really prone to it too. dry.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

PM

coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 26 2007, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

You know I honestly don't remember. I did battle it every time without antibiotics. bigthink.gif Maybe one time I did. I think I'm trying to block that time out of my life. tongue.gif I say if you have a fever you might want to take it. Although look on Kelly's website and see what all she recommends to do for mastitis, especially with fever. If you haven't done that or tried all she says do that first - if you can keep it under control without the antibiotics that's what I'd do. It's hard to say unless you are actually in that situation, you know? I know the times I had it I could handle it, but my level of discomfort and yours might be different. Do what you need to do. Just remember if you take the antibiotics do your anti-thrush treatments. hug.gif hug.gif You are a great mother, Sara.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 26 2007, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jun 26 2007, 12:47 PM)
You know I honestly don't remember. I did battle it every time without antibiotics. bigthink.gif Maybe one time I did. I think I'm trying to block that time out of my life. tongue.gif I say if you have a fever you might want to take it. Although look on Kelly's website and see what all she recommends to do for mastitis, especially with fever. If you haven't done that or tried all she says do that first - if you can keep it under control without the antibiotics that's what I'd do. It's hard to say unless you are actually in that situation, you know? I know the times I had it I could handle it, but my level of discomfort and yours might be different. Do what you need to do. Just remember if you take the antibiotics do your anti-thrush treatments. hug.gif hug.gif You are a great mother, Sara.

I thought it was you that had it and didn't get it treated. happy.gif Yeah this time I do feel like I can handle it without an antibiotic... so far anyways. If I wake up tomorrow and it feels as bad as the other three times I've had it then you can bet I'll be heading to the doctor! tongue.gif The last time I had mastitis I could barely even move my fever was so high and tylenol wasn't making it go down. And nursing was nothing short of torture. wacko.gif I didn't think to look at Kelly.com... I'll go do that now. I'm going to take either a cool bath or shower too. I don't feel as icky as I did this morning - my temp is only a little over 100 so that's not too bad.

--------------------

PM
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Just an update... I made it through just fine with now antibiotics. thumb.gif My right breast still feels a little sore but the fever and redness are gone. happy.gif

--------------------

PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Jun 28 2007, 08:45 AM)
Just an update... I made it through just fine with now antibiotics. thumb.gif My right breast still feels a little sore but the fever and redness are gone. happy.gif

I am taking you meant NO antibiotics, right? Just wanted to make sure. That's awesome Sara. thumb.gif Keep putting warm compresses and massage that breast quite often and the soreness will go away. Mastitis is mostly caused by plugs gone bad and the plug probably worked it's way out, but not entirely. I hope you feel 100% very soon. hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Mommy2BAK
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 843

I'm glad to hear it's getting better Sara, you are a trooper! thumb.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~TAMARA~
Blessed mother to Blakely (7/12/04), Ayden (9/21/07), Addison and Avery (7/2/08)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jun 28 2007, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Jun 28 2007, 08:45 AM)
Just an update... I made it through just fine with now antibiotics. thumb.gif  My right breast still feels a little sore but the fever and redness are gone.  happy.gif

I am taking you meant NO antibiotics, right? Just wanted to make sure. That's awesome Sara. thumb.gif Keep putting warm compresses and massage that breast quite often and the soreness will go away. Mastitis is mostly caused by plugs gone bad and the plug probably worked it's way out, but not entirely. I hope you feel 100% very soon. hug.gif

Lol yeah that's what I meant. blush.gif It barely hurts at all now. happy.gif

--------------------

PM
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Mommy2BAK @ Jun 28 2007, 09:06 AM)
I'm glad to hear it's getting better Sara, you are a trooper! thumb.gif hug.gif

Thanks Tamara! happy.gif I wouldn't have been such a trooper if it had gotten as ugly as the other times I've had it though - so I don't really feel like one. blush.gif I had it a couple months ago and I was in agony. My temp was 105 and I just sat on the couch and cried every time Andrew bumped me because my whole body hurt so bad. wacko.gif And then when Allie needed to eat I'd cry some more. rolleyes.gif I couldn't drag myself to the doctor so I called them and asked them to call a script in for me, but I couldn't even make myself go get that so I had to wait until after noon for my MIL to go and get it for me. Fevers always make me feel terrible. This time my fever only got up to 103 - definitely no picnic but still not so bad. wink.gif

--------------------

PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Jun 28 2007, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (Mommy2BAK @ Jun 28 2007, 09:06 AM)
I'm glad to hear it's getting better Sara, you are a trooper!  thumb.gif  hug.gif

Thanks Tamara! happy.gif I wouldn't have been such a trooper if it had gotten as ugly as the other times I've had it though - so I don't really feel like one. blush.gif I had it a couple months ago and I was in agony. My temp was 105 and I just sat on the couch and cried every time Andrew bumped me because my whole body hurt so bad. wacko.gif And then when Allie needed to eat I'd cry some more. rolleyes.gif I couldn't drag myself to the doctor so I called them and asked them to call a script in for me, but I couldn't even make myself go get that so I had to wait until after noon for my MIL to go and get it for me. Fevers always make me feel terrible. This time my fever only got up to 103 - definitely no picnic but still not so bad. wink.gif

Sara, you most definitely are a trooper. Why? Because you still BF your child despite the pain you were going through. It's not a big deal to get the antibiotics to treat mastitis. The reason I always try to encourage to go without it is because of thrush. In your case you get it easily (like me) and that's why I say that. You are DEFINITELY a trooper. Mastitis is painful and a lot of women would quit after the first time of getting it. Kudos. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

I agree with Karen - KUDOS girl!!!!!!!!!

You are a great mom!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Oh and you guys scare me about starting BF again in a few months!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Aww thanks you guys, that makes me feel good. wub.gif hug.gif I haven't been feeling like the best mom lately so that means a lot.

--------------------

PM

coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 29 2007, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Jun 28 2007, 09:29 PM)
Aww thanks you guys, that makes me feel good. wub.gif hug.gif I haven't been feeling like the best mom lately so that means a lot.

Sara, there is no doubt in my mind that you are a great mom. thumb.gif

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0126 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]