Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> does anyone have a nanny cam?
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Sep 14 2006, 10:10 PM)
IMO if you have to have a nanny cam then you have questions/reservations about that person to begin with which means I wouldn't be going with them. I love my dcp and even though we've had our issues off and on, she is a very big part of my kids lives and I feel very close to her for that.

If I was a nanny I could never work for someone who couldn't trust me enough to take care of their kids w/o a cam. There's HUGE trust issues there IMO.

I don't think it's because the dcp or nanny isn't trusted or because you have reservations... IMO I think you can't be too careful when it comes to your kids.

After all, a HUGE percentage of kids that are sexually abused, for instance, are kids that are sexually abused by a close friend or relative, people that both you and your child are supposed to trust implicitely, trust a lot more than a dcp or nanny, and likely wouldn't even think of checking up on...

The name "nanny cam" shouldn't be used. It should be a security cam, period.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
ashtonsmama
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (ashtonsmama @ Sep 14 2006, 12:24 PM)
We've only hired a babysitter twice since Ashton was born, and both times I typed up a couple sheets saying what his bedtime routine was, what she could do (i.e. use our computer, I gave her the password, watch TV, etc.) and I told her she could eat anything in the house that was worth eating. She was very respectful of all of that, and she tidied up the house (just the things they were playing with and the video she watched) before we got home. IMO that is all I expect, unless I was specifically hiring someone to help with chores AND babysit, in which case I would tell them upfront what I wanted to have happen.

wink.gif

And from my own experience as a nanny, I agree with Becky on what should be said about expectations during babysitting/nannying.

OMG
blush.gif
I'm mortified. I don't know why I called you Becky, Rocky! Please forgive me.
blush.gif
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

lol

i've been called worse... don't worry about it! tongue.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

Superdork
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,248

While I've never used a nanny, before I had children I worked as one. And one of the rules I worked by was to act as if there were cameras on me at all times. Acting the same as I would if the child's mother was in the room ensured I gave the best care and stayed on my toes.

I'd like to think that now with how popular these cameras have become, more nannies will just assume there's one in the home and behave accordingly. Also, dropping in at unexpected times is a good way to size up the care the child is getting.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
b&bsmom
Posted: Sep 15 2006, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,757

As a former day care worker and nanny ( I now watch kids in my home) I am not crazy about the nanny cam, I agree parents have the right to see what is going on and if you use one you should tell the nanny but seeing things on video can also be decieving, the wrong angle can make it look like the nanny did something that she didn't and such. I just think it raises more questions and I agree if you don't trust them enough not to watch them then they shouldn't be there.

On the cleaning issue, yes it needs to be spelled out, what is expected. I would tidy up the rooms we were playing in, possibly put the dishes in the dishwasher but that is about it, my job is to take care of the kids, make sure they are safe and in a loving and learning environment, what I do when they are sleeping, that should be my time, everyone that works, or watches kids, needs a break, as was said before, you get a break where you are working why shouldn't the nanny. And the nanny may not always get that break if they decide to be fussy and don't nap. I used nap time, to plan my activities for the next week or what have you. Why should I have to do all that on my own time, I don't think parents understand sometimes how long it takes and how expensive it is to do some of the art projects and activities we do.

I am the same why if dirty dishes is a health hazzard I am in big trouble. I would rather spend time with my kids then do housework, that is the last thing on my list. So I am sure you would think my house unworthy of even entering. After taking care of many kids during the day the last thing I want to do is housework I want to sit and relax and catch my breath and get ready to do it all over again. I get stuff done but I don't stress about it. Sorry that is just me. I used to work for a women who was a clean freak and we had a few issues. To each his own.

--------------------
user posted image]user posted image user posted image
Stacy wife to Jim and mom to Brittany 6/24/99 and Bryce 9/9/02

I've been hit Snowball fight 2006
PMEmail PosterAOL
Nina J
Posted: Sep 16 2006, 01:16 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

If I had a nanny, I might use one. You could think someone was nice and very trustworthy, but they could be the complete opposite. Just because they seem to be super nice, doesn't mean they arn't going to be screaming at my kids when I'm not there.

I don't have a nanny though, so I can't really say because I've never been in the situation of maybe using one. I think if you hired someone new, it would be a good idea to use it for a few days, just to make sure they arn't being someone they arn't when they're around you.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
ashtonsmama
Posted: Sep 16 2006, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Sep 15 2006, 05:08 PM)
lol

i've been called worse... don't worry about it! tongue.gif

laugh.gif
Thanks Rocky.
blush.gif
Jolyn
Posted: Sep 16 2006, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5,262

I'm shocked by the op regarding the baby sitter with the itch problem. I think if i was the mom i would have just ignored that and been happy she treated my kids well. How embarrassing for the baby sitter.

As for the nanny cam. I think they have saved many children from abusive situations and that being the case if someone wants to use them i say go for it.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster
Parent-in-law
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,789

Can I bring this thread up and start this discussion anew? Who of you girls (and guys if any here) use a nanny cam? I need advice!
PMEmail Poster
Parent-in-law
  Posted: Jun 8 2012, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,789

UPDATE: while I was investigating on the topic, I found greatest app - Xeoma. I am in the testing of it now and amazed at what it can and what technology has come to by now basically!!! So many features that come so handy in I start to wonder why I never knew of them before) !!!
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0133 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]