Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What about a "natural - organics" forum?
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

That's the beauty of it Rhonda.... everyone would know, coming in, that it's all opinions... based on whatever "research" is posted as information.

Stuff might not be "official" fact, but for someone who has lived it, it's certainly fact for their family. Know what I mean? So you wouldn't have to challenge anything, because everyone would already be aware that it's all "opinion", unless there is a scientific link, ya know? happy.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Bamamom
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,297

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 11 2008, 10:57 AM)
That's the beauty of it Rhonda.... everyone would know, coming in, that it's all opinions... based on whatever "research" is posted as information.

Stuff might not be "official" fact, but for someone who has lived it, it's certainly fact for their family. Know what I mean? So you wouldn't have to challenge anything, because everyone would already be aware that it's all "opinion", unless there is a scientific link, ya know? happy.gif

I have to admit that does make sense. Though the hairs on my neck will still raise when I see something that is unscientific presented as fact - forgive me!!! rolling_smile.gif I hope this forum is added - sounds like a cool idea to me.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (Bamamom @ Apr 11 2008, 11:19 AM)

Stuff might not be "official" fact, but for someone who has lived it, it's certainly fact for their family. Know what I mean? So you wouldn't have to challenge anything, because everyone would already be aware that it's all "opinion", unless there is a scientific link, ya know?  happy.gif

I have to admit that does make sense. Though the hairs on my neck will still raise when I see something that is unscientific presented as fact - forgive me!!! rolling_smile.gif I hope this forum is added - sounds like a cool idea to me.

I'm so with you there. I'm sure my hand will be slapped more then once. emlaugh.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 17,840

QUOTE (Bamamom @ Apr 11 2008, 02:19 PM)

Stuff might not be "official" fact, but for someone who has lived it, it's certainly fact for their family. Know what I mean? So you wouldn't have to challenge anything, because everyone would already be aware that it's all "opinion", unless there is a scientific link, ya know?  happy.gif

I know this pertains to me, and I apologize if I am not scientific enough for you. I hope that by having a "safe" forum, these topics can be discussed better. I hate arguing as much as the next person, but I also hate feeling attacked. We all want the best for our families, and that's usually an alternative to what's considered "normal" for my family.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
grapfruit
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Apr 11 2008, 01:09 PM)

I know this pertains to me, and I apologize if I am not scientific enough for you. I hope that by having a "safe" forum, these topics can be discussed better. I hate arguing as much as the next person, but I also hate feeling attacked. We all want the best for our families, and that's usually an alternative to what's considered "normal" for my family.

You know Mollie, why I don't agree w/EVERYTHING that you preach and practice, I DO pick a few things up from you here and there. You (and others on here) have opened my eyes to other ways of doing things, which is great!

You have to admit that some of your ideas and ways of living are a little to the outside of "mainstream" and you're going to come up against some resistance. Basically by going back to nature, or being crunchy, you're now living outside the "norms" of society. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different. And human nature is to balk at the differences.

A lot of what you do, may not be right for ME, but I, myself, would never tell you it's not right for YOU. Personally I don't feel I have the rights to impede on anyone's beliefs.

I think you are very passionate about what you believe, which I admire. And I think I (and probably a lot of other people) could benefit from your EXPERIENCE and some of the knowledge you've gained from other people's experiences. Personally, as I could care less about if you're backing it up w/"scientific" studies or whatever. Because here's why. You can do a study on a 1000 people and it can turn out one way, and then you can redo it w/a 1000 more and it turn out completely opposite. People are different, situations are different.

You can't be 100% safe, this is life. I just want to live my life the best I can and be responsible in protecting the environment in anyway I can.

Ok, I've said my piece biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (grapfruit @ Apr 11 2008, 06:19 PM)

You know Mollie, why I don't agree w/EVERYTHING that you preach and practice, I DO pick a few things up from you here and there. You (and others on here) have opened my eyes to other ways of doing things, which is great!

You have to admit that some of your ideas and ways of living are a little to the outside of "mainstream" and you're going to come up against some resistance. Basically by going back to nature, or being crunchy, you're now living outside the "norms" of society. That doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different. And human nature is to balk at the differences.

A lot of what you do, may not be right for ME, but I, myself, would never tell you it's not right for YOU. Personally I don't feel I have the rights to impede on anyone's beliefs.

I think you are very passionate about what you believe, which I admire. And I think I (and probably a lot of other people) could benefit from your EXPERIENCE and some of the knowledge you've gained from other people's experiences. Personally, as I could care less about if you're backing it up w/"scientific" studies or whatever. Because here's why. You can do a study on a 1000 people and it can turn out one way, and then you can redo it w/a 1000 more and it turn out completely opposite. People are different, situations are different.

You can't be 100% safe, this is life. I just want to live my life the best I can and be responsible in protecting the environment in anyway I can.

I get what you're saying, and I know I can be quick to get defensive & pushy. I know I've offended some people, and I have apologized for that a few times. I take my time posting now & I try to choose my words carefully. I think with a new forum it would help with that, too.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
grapfruit
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

You've never offended me that I can think of. BUT I'm like a duck, rolls right off my back biggrin.gif I defiantly don't offend easily.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that your insight IS appreciated and taken in context. Make sense?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (grapfruit @ Apr 11 2008, 06:33 PM)
You've never offended me that I can think of. BUT I'm like a duck, rolls right off my back biggrin.gif I defiantly don't offend easily.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that your insight IS appreciated and taken in context. Make sense?

thumb.gif Yes, that does make sense. Glad I've never offended you.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
Bamamom
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

QUOTE (grapfruit @ Apr 11 2008, 03:19 PM)

Exactly - and I think here is what you often don't get Mollie - people want to hear YOUR opinion. You don't have to phrase it as if it is fact or present it as scientific evidence. It's enough for most of us that it's your life and your experiences. I'm much more open when you just tell me what you are doing and why it is working for you and your family than when you start presenting stuff as the gospel truth. You have some different, cool experiences that we can all learn from - even if we don't choose to adopt them ourselves. It doesn't have to be fact - but if it isn't, then some (not all, just some) of us would appreciate it if you wouldn't present it as fact.

I hope this came out the way I meant it - with respect and love. I truly mean no offense. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Apr 12 2008, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I'll remember that Rhonda! Not offended at all!

I'd volunteer to help Moderate the forum if needed thumb.gif .

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I think it would be fantastic to have a "natural/organic" forum - "All about being green" or something like that.

We are trying harder and harder to be more green. We've eaten organic for a long time now, but still eat processed foods. That's becoming more and more less with Megan's allergies.

I've been trying to make my own cleaning supplies, etc, but having a lot of trouble getting mixtures just right like I would like to.

We are getting ready to go to cloth napkins for dinner, as I watch my family (including myself) waste way too many napkins at dinner for no real reason.

It would be fun to come here and share ideas in a more localized forum than just the general one.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

where did THIS thread come from?!?! rolling_smile.gif

I till think its great. I think I may have replaced Mollie at the resident "Lorax" esp since you dissapeared Karen. rolling_smile.gif

So, all natural cleaning, have you tried Soapnuts? they are beyond awesome. I have been making my own cleaners too, let me know if you are interested in the recipe, I can get it for you.

and if anyone can point me towards rain barrels, that would be stellar.
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Jan 30 2009, 11:56 AM)
where did THIS thread come from?!?! rolling_smile.gif

I till think its great. I think I may have replaced Mollie at the resident "Lorax" esp since you dissapeared Karen. rolling_smile.gif

So, all natural cleaning, have you tried Soapnuts? they are beyond awesome. I have been making my own cleaners too, let me know if you are interested in the recipe, I can get it for you.

and if anyone can point me towards rain barrels, that would be stellar.

I have not tried soapnuts yet. I use an all natural laundry detergent, but would still like to find something else. There for a few days during the kids all-puke fest I ran out of detergent and couldn't get in town to get some so we just used vinegar and that seemed to work well. I just wasn't sure if it's great for using as laundry detergent.? I've used it as softner for awhile now, though.

Ok, I tried to make an "all-purpose" cleaner to clean counters, table, and such. I found a website for directions and dissolved 4 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 quart warm water. Then I made a disinfectant that you mix 1/2 cup borax into 1 gallon hot water or undiluted vinegar. Ok, now I don't know which one I used one day on the counter, but several hours later I noticed this very thick thick yucky film on my counters and it took me MANY times of washing the counter with just a hot watered down wash rag to get the film off. It was terrible. So I'm not sure what I did wrong. Any clues?

I also bought a bunch of essential oils for in the dryer, and cleaners and such, BUT haven't figured out exactly how to use them, lol.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

So you'll probably think this is gross, but we've been talking about trying to find a way to save the kids' bath water for watering the plants etc outside.

It's not like the kids are filthy and they seem to want to take a bath ALL the time. Seems like it's a waste of water.

We even talked about insulating the tub so the water stays warm longer...

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ Jan 30 2009, 12:19 PM)
So you'll probably think this is gross, but we've been talking about trying to find a way to save the kids' bath water for watering the plants etc outside.

It's not like the kids are filthy and they seem to want to take a bath ALL the time. Seems like it's a waste of water.

We even talked about insulating the tub so the water stays warm longer...

It's not gross. It is called "grey water", I think, or something like that. I think it's great, but I'm just not there yet DVFlyer, lol. I haven't even got my Dh "there" on cleaning supplies and stuff like that. He thinks it's great, don't get me wrong, and he'll go along with whatever I do.

I still want to conserve rain water and use it for gardening but Dh keeps talking me out of it because of the difficulty it would really be and wondering how much rain water we'd really get for our effort, kwim?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

That's it. We were talking about installing a pump and run a line through the wall (the bathroom is on the back side of the house) out to a barrel etc to hold the water.

If we were to do it "right", it'd be a tank on wheels with a pump like those bug sprayers but larger. That way, you could wheel it around to wherever, whatever needed water.

Now all we need is some plants to water. emlaugh.gif

This post has been edited by DVFlyer on Jan 30 2009, 10:56 AM

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ Jan 30 2009, 01:55 PM)
That's it. We were talking about installing a pump and run a line through the wall (the bathroom is on the back side of the house) out to a barrel etc to hold the water.

If we were to do it "right", it'd be a tank on wheels with a pump like those bug sprayers but larger. That way, you could wheel it around to wherever, whatever needed water.

Now all we need is some plants to water. emlaugh.gif

Yeah, DH kept saying "are you truly going to go around with buckets of water to water the garden...I don't think so". laugh.gif I want to be green in that respect, but I'm not sure I could do that, lol.

Yes, you need to plant a garden. Not just have "plants" (flowers) to water, but a garden tongue.gif It's your duty to your family to have less processed goods and more natural ones without all the chemicals happy.gif Did that convince you? laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

We have devised a gray water system, and it was brilliant if I do say so my self. I was so proud.
Here is what you do.
We connected a sump pump hose to where our washing machine drains into the sewer and diverted it to my sump pump hole. Now, when the rinse cycle kicks on the water goes into the sump hole, and the pump pumps it out into the front yard. thumb.gif No installing of anything permanent, it cost me all of $15 or so for the hose, and it saved me $80 on my water bill last August. thumb.gif The down side is that I have to go move the hose around in my yard so it gets watered evenly.

This year I want rain barrels. I want 3 that stand alone, and 4 that are connected together. I just don't know where to get them yet. I read that on a average sized home in 1/2 inch rain you can get 1500 gallons of water off your roof. How awesome would it be to collect that?
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Jan 30 2009, 02:08 PM)
We have devised a gray water system, and it was brilliant if I do say so my self. I was so proud.
Here is what you do.
We connected a sump pump hose to where our washing machine drains into the sewer and diverted it to my sump pump hole. Now, when the rinse cycle kicks on the water goes into the sump hole, and the pump pumps it out into the front yard. thumb.gif No installing of anything permanent, it cost me all of $15 or so for the hose, and it saved me $80 on my water bill last August. thumb.gif The down side is that I have to go move the hose around in my yard so it gets watered evenly.

This year I want rain barrels. I want 3 that stand alone, and 4 that are connected together. I just don't know where to get them yet. I read that on a average sized home in 1/2 inch rain you can get 1500 gallons of water off your roof. How awesome would it be to collect that?

Ok, now what do you suggest if you don't have a sump pump hole? Now I have a sump pump hole which is down in the basement closet. My washer/dryer is on the main floor in the mud room. The sump pump hole is really only for emergency. Hard to explain. See we have everything "gravity fitted" so we never get water backed up into our sump pump hole and therefore no need for a sump pump. All water is gravity fitted to drain off into the creek on our property.

I also take it you have a fairly small yard? We have 3.5 acres, 1.5 of that not being woods, roughly. The garden is pretty far away from the hose bibs as it is so we have to use several hoses just to get out to the garden area. We don't even try to water our grass as there is WAY too much and WAY too much away from the house.

Now what i had thought of doing was putting rain barrels - hook them up to the downspouts on our house, but then we'd have to bucket the water from there, which is still quite a ways IMO.

BTW, when I priced rain barrels last year - woah! They are expensive!

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jan 30 2009, 02:13 PM)
Here is what you do.
We connected a sump pump hose to where our washing machine drains into the sewer and diverted it to my sump pump hole. Now, when the rinse cycle kicks on the water goes into the sump hole, and the pump pumps it out into the front yard.  thumb.gif No installing of anything permanent, it cost me all of $15 or so for the hose, and it saved me $80 on my water bill last August.  thumb.gif The down side is that I have to go move the hose around in my yard so it gets watered evenly.

Ok, now what do you suggest if you don't have a sump pump hole? Now I have a sump pump hole which is down in the basement closet. My washer/dryer is on the main floor in the mud room. The sump pump hole is really only for emergency. Hard to explain. See we have everything "gravity fitted" so we never get water backed up into our sump pump hole and therefore no need for a sump pump. All water is gravity fitted to drain off into the creek on our property.

I also take it you have a fairly small yard? We have 3.5 acres, 1.5 of that not being woods, roughly. The garden is pretty far away from the hose bibs as it is so we have to use several hoses just to get out to the garden area. We don't even try to water our grass as there is WAY too much and WAY too much away from the house.

Now what i had thought of doing was putting rain barrels - hook them up to the downspouts on our house, but then we'd have to bucket the water from there, which is still quite a ways IMO.

you can fit rain barrels with faucets you can hook hoses up to. yes, they are expensive, and ugly, and I know you can't tolerate ugly in your yard. (didn't we go there last year? tongue.gif ) My yard is pretty small, 110 feet bu 80 feet with a big ol house in the middle.

And, perhaps the sump pump thing won't work in your specific situation. rolling_smile.gif I don't know. I just thought I was pretty darn brilliant for figuring ours out rolling_smile.gif We do have a ugly black large bore hose going across my laundry room into our utility room, but hey, if it saves us $80 a month, I'll take it! cool.gif
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Karen, I saw these a few months ago and thought of you immediately.
http://www.gardeners.com/Rain-Catcher-Urn-...default,cp.html

I want 3 of these, but I thought they were cheaper. Like $85. unsure.gif
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Those are neat....but expensive! tongue.gif I like that it has a 6 ft hose on it, although I'd need a lot more hose, but I bet you can attach it to the one that is on it. I wonder, though, how does it "flow" through the hose to spray water on the garden? KWIM? Where does it get it's forceful flow?

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Jan 30 2009, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jan 30 2009, 02:13 PM)
Here is what you do.
We connected a sump pump hose to where our washing machine drains into the sewer and diverted it to my sump pump hole. Now, when the rinse cycle kicks on the water goes into the sump hole, and the pump pumps it out into the front yard.  thumb.gif No installing of anything permanent, it cost me all of $15 or so for the hose, and it saved me $80 on my water bill last August.  thumb.gif The down side is that I have to go move the hose around in my yard so it gets watered evenly.

you can fit rain barrels with faucets you can hook hoses up to. yes, they are expensive, and ugly, and I know you can't tolerate ugly in your yard. (didn't we go there last year? tongue.gif ) My yard is pretty small, 110 feet bu 80 feet with a big ol house in the middle.

And, perhaps the sump pump thing won't work in your specific situation. rolling_smile.gif I don't know. I just thought I was pretty darn brilliant for figuring ours out rolling_smile.gif We do have a ugly black large bore hose going across my laundry room into our utility room, but hey, if it saves us $80 a month, I'll take it! cool.gif

laugh.gif Yes, I do remember saying I didn't want ugly in my yard. tongue.gif The link you posted was pretty, although I'd still have to get used to the look of it. tongue.gif

The sump pump idea is awesome and great that it's working for you. thumb.gif You are a lot more genius than I am at this. Now my MIL just has garbage cans sitting out in her yard everywhere, including at the down spouts and that's how she waters. Although, she caries it in buckets. I don't know how she does it with her back, but her yard is pretty small too. Well, now they moved to somewhere with more land, so I'll have to ask her what her plan will be now with the rain water.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Jan 30 2009, 02:22 PM)
Those are neat....but expensive! tongue.gif I like that it has a 6 ft hose on it, although I'd need a lot more hose, but I bet you can attach it to the one that is on it. I wonder, though, how does it "flow" through the hose to spray water on the garden? KWIM? Where does it get it's forceful flow?

dunno.gif probably doesn't. I'm sure its more of a running out of the house thing instead of a spraying out of the hose thing.
I really thought they were cheaper. I remember being excited about how good of a deal they were. Maybe they have gone up due to demand?
PM
DVFlyer
Posted: Jan 30 2009, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

I want 3.5 acres.. sad.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0161 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]