Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Household Chores
My2Beauties
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

Ok so lately I've been staying on Hanna about keeping her room clean and cleaning up after herself when she drags toys out into the livingroom or other rooms in the house. Her room got so ridiculously messy that it took me almost 5 hours to clean it one day about 2 weeks ago and I refuse to let it get that bad again. I didn't just pick stuff up and throw it back in bins or anything, I mean I went through everything, threw stuff out, etc.. So anywhoo she's been doing pretty good but here's the thing...she always says well it's not fair because Aubrey doesn't pick up after herself or have to clean her room. If Aubrey sees someone picking stuff up she'll "help" normally by throwing something in another direction so it's out of the middle of the floor laugh.gif but she just can't comprehend cleaning yet per se. How can I incorporate her in cleaning (even though she messes stuff up) when Hanna is around so Hanna doesn't feel that it is unfair?

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

We sing the clean up song, everyone helps, and when Al was to young I would carry her, and put the toy in her hand and help her put it way.
PM
moped
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Good Question because Jack is the same way......Why do I have to clean up when Laila doesn't? Well dear because I said so! tongue.gif

So make him clean up when she is napping - now that she is walking she can start to make it look like she is doing to do too I guess.....

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jan 12 2009, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

When my girls were about 1 1/2 I think was when I started teaching them to pick up. Be simple and direct - 'please pick up the doll', then once they have it in their hand 'please put the doll on the shelf' and it usually doesn't take long for them to figure it out.

But I'm a mean mommy - I just tell them life isn't fair, deal with it and do what you're told. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Aiden helps clean up. He knows what "pick up" means. A lot of times I also don't have to tell him to put it away, he'll just do it. He's 21 months now. He understands just fine.

And I hear all the time how Aiden doesn't have to do things that Tanner does. rolleyes.gif "Why doesn't Aiden get in trouble like I do?". rolleyes.gif He does, just in a different way. I don't know if he'll ever get that until Aiden gets older.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
stella6979
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

I think kids of any age (aside from newborns of course) are able to help with "chores". Avery has been putting her things away since she was a year and it's just routine for us. She knows that at 6:30 it's time to start cleaning up, so she'll pick everything up off the floor and put them in her bins. I will also give her her own little dust rag when I'm dusting and she'll help with that. And I also let her help with the laundry. I'll sit her on the washing machine and hand her clothes to throw in and she loves that! She also loves to match up the socks. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (stella6979 @ Jan 14 2009, 01:49 PM)
I think kids of any age (aside from newborns of course) are able to help with "chores". Avery has been putting her things away since she was a year and it's just routine for us. She knows that at 6:30 it's time to start cleaning up, so she'll pick everything up off the floor and put them in her bins. I will also give her her own little dust rag when I'm dusting and she'll help with that. And I also let her help with the laundry. I'll sit her on the washing machine and hand her clothes to throw in and she loves that! She also loves to match up the socks. smile.gif

That's how it goes here too, I know Aubrey is young for that but when she throws something across the floor it's not too early to tell her "No, put it here". You may be the one that ends up doing the "put it here" laugh.gif at first but she'll catch on.

When my kids ask questions like that I tell them that 1. Because I said so, and 2. Worry about yourself, not your brother/sister.
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Jan 12 2009, 09:37 AM)
We sing the clean up song, everyone helps, and when Al was to young I would carry her, and put the toy in her hand and help her put it way.

That's exactly what I did- "helped" the younger one clean.

You could try that with Aubrey, and also encourage Hanna to help her as well. That way, she'll be less focused on "being the only one cleaning" and it will help her to feel that she has an important job, showing lil sis the ropes!

Then again, I have a 5-year old who selectively remembers what the term "clean up" means, so what do I know laugh.gif

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Jan 16 2009, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

UGh....that phrase is in my house alot..."Why doesn't Russell have to clean"...The answer is because Russell doesn't make the mess.

Russell usually goes and voluntarily takes a nap when cleaning time arises... rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jan 16 2009, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Lexi is the same way, "Its not fair Raygen don't have to help"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0196 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]