Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Am I wrong again?, feeding the kids

When do you feed your children?
At a scheduled time. [ 19 ]  [57.58%]
or [ 1 ]  [3.03%]
When they tell you they are hungry. [ 13 ]  [39.39%]
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
bawoodsmall
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,464

My sis got me thinking specially today cuz emily is 4.5 and weighs 50 lbs with everything on including shoes. Is that bad? She seems normal to me. My sis has always just fed her kids when they say that they are hungry because she is very adamant about "not having a fat kid".

I have always fed my kids on a schedule. I dont want them to decide at 2:00 they are starving when dinner is 3 hours away.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Breakfast (6:45)
lunch ( at school)
snackie (3:00pm)
dinner (6-7pm)

when she was younger there was a morning snack too. happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
amynicole21
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Sophia just hit 40lbs and will be 5.5 next month. They do get snacks in between meals, but not within about 30min of eating.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo

coasterqueen
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Hmm, I don't know. Kylie will be 5.5 in a couple of weeks and she is 48 pounds. I know this because she weighed herself last night before bath and for some reason was very excited about weighing that much. tongue.gif

I try to feed them on some kind of schedule, but doesn't always happen. I definitely don't say "it's noon, they have to eat now" type of thing. They get snacks when they ask for them (within reason). My kids would probably tell you I starve them. tongue.gif wacko.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Oh and to answer. Ur not wrong. everyone does what works for them. Mya was under 20 lbs until she was almost 2 and now she is 7 and 45lbs.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
bawoodsmall
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

See I guess I obviously dont want an overweight child. I said oh gosh at the dr. and they didnt say anything like..yeah you should be worried.
I also know I dont want my kids to be paranoid about their bodies at such a young age. I am trying to teach them to eat right.

Does anyone know what she should be at?

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
:.Mrs_Mommy.:
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 18,118

I do both. They will get breakfast in the morning within 1/2 hr of waking up, lunch between 11:00-12:00 then supper around 5:30. If they are hungry between meals they will get a snack of a cpl animal crackers, a slice of toast, piece of fruit, something small to hold them over until the next meal.

I never force my children to eat everything in front of them either. If they don't like something they have to try 1 bite and if they say they are full then they get down, but they don't get a snack before bed then.

I just figured I wouldn't want anyone telling me that I need to eat something that I don't want and I hated it when my g-ma would do that. I was overweight as a child and am now as an adult and I don't want my children to go through anything like I did so letting them decide when they want to eat, where I decide what they eat works pretty good for us.

--------------------
~Kalli~

Mommy to:
Aaron Joseph 01.20.00
Lily Ann Marie 04.03.01
Kyla Raye 05.25.04

Photobucket

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
luvmykids
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Kylie and Colt are almost six and weigh 43 and 46lbs...she is one of the tallest kids in their class and he is right in the middle, they're both far from fat. I don't know what the range is but Emily sounds right in it imo. hug.gif

We eat on a loose schedule, breakfast is at 7am, lunch at school is 10:45, snack at school is 12:45, they get home at 2:30 and have a snack, and dinner is between 5:30-6:00. They get a snack if it's not too close to mealtime, I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing.
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

depends on the day really, dinner and weekends are more relaxed, but breakfast and lunch during the school week are scheduled but she does not have to eat if not hungry. She does get snacks if she is hungry, things like cheese, yougert, fruit sometimes other things but she does not ask for junk very often.

you do what works for you and as long as she is heathly, eats right (for the most part) and active she shoudl be fine

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
Jamison'smama
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

My kids are "starving" when they wake up so the eat breakfast about the same time everyday. On days when Jamison is home from school, they eat lunch when they tell me they are hungry. We do have a sit down dinner every night. Although their meals are somewhat scheduled, they eat as much as they want--we want them to register fullness so we only push for them to eat the healthier stuff first then stop when full.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
holley79
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

Annika eats breakfast when she gets to her day home during the week. She eats when she gets up on the weekends. Annika actually eats all day long. She is a snacker. We have a sit down dinner. She eats normally with us but even if she decides she doesn't want to eat right then she still sits at the table with us.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

We do everything on a schedule in my house. Ben is going to be 5 in a few months, and he just now is 40 pounds with everything on.
PM
bawoodsmall
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Crap. Now I am kinda freaking out cuz it seems to me like maybe she is a bit tubby. There isnt much you can do though is there besides maybe cut down on bad stuff. I am obviously not putting my 4 year old on a diet. She has been kinda lazy since it is winter and she cant play outside. We are starting gymnastics at the Y on the 28th.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

We are on a schedule, but not a strict one. But I personally don't wait until my kids are hungry to feed them because then they would probably just fill up on snacks. I want them to eat a well-rounded full meal, sitting down with us. JMO. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way. As long as your child isn't eating empty-calories or lots of soda or lots of saturated fat, then I wouldn't worry about her weight. Make sure she is active. And if the doctor didn't say anything, then again, I bet she is fine. Sometimes you just have to ignore family (sister)!! wink.gif I do it all the time. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mysweetpeasWil&Wes on Feb 21 2008, 01:46 PM

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I think your dr would have said something if you needed to be concerned, and the fact that you do eat on a schedule is good, it's not like Em eats all day long....so as long as she's eating well, getting some exercise, and the dr thinks she's ok, I think you're doing just fine hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

If it makes you feel any better, Madison will be 3 in May and she weighs 41 lbs. She is a big kid!! But she has always been on the larger side, so our Dr. says not to worry just yet.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

I do both. I give them snacks pretty often throughout the day b/c I don't want them so hungry that they start craving fattening stuff. They eat pretty much the same as I do, several small, healthy meals throughout the day. But I still fix healthy lunch and dinner, we just eat less.

My kids are skinny. But that has more to do with genes than the way they eat. wink.gif

You aren't doing anything wrong and your kids are NOT overweight. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
TrulyBlessed
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 19,989

Dinner is our only scheduled meal, outside of that I feed my kids when they are hungry or I'll begin cooking for all of us.
PMEmail Poster
HuskerMom
Posted on Feb 21 2008, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 7,388

I don't have a set schedule but I try to have Keith eat at around the same time each day. He's not a very big eater though.

--------------------
Joni

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Feb 22 2008, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

We follow a general routine... but nobody's "forced" to eat, and we dno't withhold food when they are hungry... unless the meal we're going to be having is less than an hour away... but then I might give them a slice of cheese or 2 or 3 crackers..

Kids listen to their metabolism more than adults do. They haven't lost that connection yet... most adults eat when they're actually thirsty, which is why so many are overweight. Kids still drink. wink.gif A little belly and cheeks until about 8 or 9 is fine... it's when puberty hits that I'd be more concerned.

I used to get so angry at dh when the kids would ask for a snack between meals, or before bedtime, and he'd say no... for crying out loud, he feeds HIMSELF when he's hungry..why shouldn't the kids be fed when they're hungry??

What I do NOT do, however, is allow the kids to have a different meal. If they're not hungry at dinner time, fine..they don't "have" to eat... but when they ARE hungry, they get their reheated meal. I'm not about to make another dish just because someone's picky. wink.gif

For what it's worth... zach at 5 1/2 weighs 59 pounds... emilie at 4 weighs 48 pounds and Naomie at 2 1/2 weighs about 35 pounds.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted on Feb 22 2008, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

Its different for every child, and every family.. we didn't start a "schedule" until around 2 and she has never been a good eater but I have to keep her on a schedule so that we can have a family dinner at night. Alyssa is 4 and she was 37lbs and she is SUPER tall most people think she is 5 or so laugh.gif anyway she sounds fine to me!!! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
bawoodsmall
Posted on Feb 23 2008, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Ahh. I feel better. Thank you. I do feel like I am not over feeding her and she isnt eating junk. She was a big baby and the belly has just not left yet. I will however make sure we stay active and really watch the junk even more(dh is the junkie not me)

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted on Feb 23 2008, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

We have meals and snacks within reason............

Jack is 3.5 and 40 pounds, but very tall....so he is a bean pole.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted on Feb 25 2008, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

Hanna is 4 and weighs almost 45 pounds so she is not big by any means. Atleast IMHO, I'm picturing her weighing 5 more pounds than Hanna and I can't see that making her big at all. You're doing what works for your family and that is fine. Hanna never ever wants to eat breakfast, very rarely when she wakes up, half the time she isn't hungry until around lunch, she gets that from me, I don't really eat breakfast very much. She will every once in a while if we sleep in later on the weekends or something. She eats lunch at daycare and on the weekends I feed her lunch around noon or 1:00 and we eat supper later because I don't even get home until 5:30 pm, supper isn't ready until usually around 6:30-7:00 so I do give her a snack sometimes about 30 minutes to an hour before supper is ready.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
kimberley
Posted on Feb 25 2008, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

i feed my kids 3 meals on a schedule but let them snack whenever as long as it is healthy stuff. for treats... they are allowed one after lunch and/or dinner IF they eat all their food.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0269 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]