Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Do you think we should have school vouchers?

Do you think we should have school vouchers?
Yes [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
No [ 1 ]  [10.00%]
Not sure [ 3 ]  [30.00%]
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
MommyToAshley
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I think we should have school vouchers. I don't think a child should be stuck going to a poor school just because of where he is born (or can't afford private school). Yes, some schools might close because of this, but if they are so bad that no one wants to send their child to that school, then they should either improve or be shut down. I think it is a great way to hold schools accountable and it encourages competition. Whenever you have competition, there is always improvement... haven't we learned this from examples in business?

Also, the states (I can't remember which ones) that have tested this program have been successful.

I know that there are some teachers here, I would be interested in hearing what you think as well as the other parents.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Where I live, it used to be that you went to the school you wanted to go to. A few years ago, they decided to zone all areas, and make the kids go to the school in their area. A lot of parents were angry, becasue that meant their kids would get in to a less-reputable school. I was fortunate to be going to my semi-private college/high school befoer the zoming changes, so it didn't affect me. My brother's school is almost directly behind my house.... he could go there for lunch if I chose to let him... but it's not a bad school, thank god.

I'd definitely pay to have my child go to a non-public school - they seem to be more violent.

We don't pay for education at the lower levels - but colleges and universities, yes, of course we have to pay. BUT - for people who can't afford to go, there are special programs to help you pay. So really, noone has a reason not to go.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (~*~Zach's Mom~*~ @ Oct 24 2003, 12:16 PM)
Where I live, it used to be that you went to the school you wanted to go to.  A few years ago, they decided to zone all areas, and make the kids go to the school in their area. A lot of parents were angry, becasue that meant their kids would get in to a less-reputable school.  I was fortunate to be going to my semi-private college/high school befoer the zoming changes, so it didn't affect me. My brother's school is almost directly behind my house.... he could go there for lunch if I chose to let him... but it's not a bad school, thank god.

I'd definitely pay to have my child go to a non-public school - they seem to be more violent.

We don't pay for education at the lower levels - but colleges and universities, yes, of course we have to pay. BUT - for people who can't afford to go, there are special programs to help you pay. So really, noone has a reason not to go.

We don't pay for public schools either, but the school vouchers would give the parents money (that the gov't would normally give to the public school) to use towards a private school or a school of their choice. I think this is an awesome idea.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Ah. I guess I got teh definition of a school voucher a little screwed up.... lol

We pay school taxes here - but you can decide to pay Public, french catholic, english catholic, whatever you want. But you ahve to pay. it hink that's dumb sometimes - why would people who don't have kids have to pay? Or even elderly people? it's not like they can see their money get any use...

grr... lol

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (~*~Zach's Mom~*~ @ Oct 24 2003, 01:11 PM)
Ah. I guess I got teh definition of a school voucher a little screwed up.... lol

We pay school taxes here - but you can decide to pay Public, french catholic, english catholic, whatever you want. But you ahve to pay. it hink that's dumb sometimes - why would people who don't have kids have to pay? Or even elderly people? it's not like they can see their money get any use...

grr... lol

Oh, we still have to pay taxes too! smile.gif Actually, it is property taxes but a portion goes to the schools. And, just like you, everyone pays whether they have children or not.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

A&A'smommy
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

i think we should because around here the best elementry school is expensive and i know lots of people who would like to send their kids there but cant afford it! Am i understanding what they are use for right? anyways i voted yes

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Yes, you are understandign correctly.

Here are some links that talk about vouchers

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/school_vouchers.htm

http://edreform.com/press/2003/bushchoiceplan.htm

http://psparents.net/school_vouchers.htm

There's alot more info available if you are interested, just search on school vouchers.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Oct 24 2003, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (~*~Zach's Mom~*~ @ Oct 24 2003, 01:11 PM)

grr... lol

Oh, we still have to pay taxes too! smile.gif Actually, it is property taxes but a portion goes to the schools. And, just like you, everyone pays whether they have children or not.

We have property taxes and school taxes separate. smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

I definitely think we should have school vouchers. I get all kinds of frustrated that my husband's hard earned money goes to pay for an education system that we don't even support. I'm homeschooling so I don't know how the vouchers would affect me but I don't believe that everyone should have to pay (taxes) for a system that not everybody uses. Vouchers would help compinsate for that. I'm sorry if I am sounding negative about this-we are getting ready to vote on a levy that would raise our property taxes by about 200$ a year to go toward our public schools so this is a very touchy subject around our house these days. dry.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted on Oct 24 2003, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

We were thinking of sending Maddie to a private school b/c we don't like certain things about the elementary by our house that she would attend. But, I'm not thrilled with what I have learned about the private schools in this area and we are paying school taxes plus we would pay a tuition to send her to private just b/c of this one school. Everyone says "Why go to private schools when the school system here is so wonderful?" Well, it is wonderful, we just aren't crazy about this school that she would be going to. I may be extremely picky, but I feel it is important for her to go somewhere that DH and I are comfortable with. I had to attend a school my mom detested when I was growing up b/c of zoning. I used my grandmother's address to go to the better school. So, as you can see, I am all for school vouchers.

Am I understanding it right? Sometimes I get things confused. blush.gif
PMEmail Poster
raysnroof
Posted on Aug 24 2004, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 689

I believe that the differences between the public and private sectors exist primarily beacuse the government and the unions have not been able to infiltrate the ranks. Did someone else think they had unique political views? Move over bacon! wink.gif
I can't support allowing the govenerment to put its hand into what is better due to its absence. I vote an emphatic NO!
Sharon in KS smile.gif
Jill of all trades
Master of none
Mom of many
Wife of one
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2000 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]