Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> different learning techniques?
kimberley
Posted: Oct 7 2004, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

i know we have a few teachers and veteran parents on the board who may be able to help me. Jacob has had difficulty reading and concentrating for the longest time. he has been on an IEP for 2 yrs and has made some progress but seems to have lapsed since school started this year. i am thinking it is because he is overwhelmed with the amount of work and reading required in grade 3, so he is digressing. i am still trying to make it fun and encourage him to read things himself, but it is a fine line between me doing his work for him and letting him get frustrated doing it himself.

i was hoping you could give me advice on different learning techniques and how i can make homework easier for him. as it is, it takes him over an hour to complete his work on most days. it really shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. also, he is forever writing his "b, p, d, g and f" backwards. i haven't made a huge deal about them in the past (just a reminder and have him correct it) but now his teachers are taking off marks for it where they didn't in the past.

i try to take away most distractions but his siblings will always be around and he loses his concentration so easily around them. mid sentence he forgets what he is doing sad.gif

any thoughts are appreciated. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Oct 7 2004, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

Has he been tested for dyslexia? That is the first thing that I thought of when you said he is making some letters backwards.....if that is not the case, is he involved in some sort of pull-out program where he goes to a resource teacher for some subjects?

Since he already has an IEP, it seems that his school is aware that he may have some learning difficulties, but from what you have described, they don't seem to be doing anything about it. Does his IEP have specific modifications listed that he should be getting?

I taught middle school, so the kids were older. That may mean that they have had more time to work on the IEP, but their IEP's had specifics, like there must be a special Education teacher present in class if the student was in a regular ed class, word banks on quizzes that were fill in the blank, only 3 choices on multiple choice questions, fewer number of questions per page, and other things that made the tests and quizzes less over stimulating so they could concentrate.

If I were you, I would ask his classroom teacher to make a list of what modificications she is making for him because right now, the IEP isn't working for him. I might also what the etacher and counsler think of some kind of pull out for the subjects that are especially hard for him. Maybe a smaller group would be better.

Good luck!!

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
kimberley
Posted: Oct 7 2004, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

thanks for the advice. i think i will call the teacher today. i know he has the same volunteer as last year work with him in the afternoons for extra reading help. she has helped him complete his journal and other work. i am just concerned that if we keep doing it for him, he will never learn.

he got straight A's in math last year by final report card and now dreads it because it is all word problems. he is overwhelmed with the wording and i am actually surprised with some of it too.

we took him to that child psychologist nutcase around may/june this year who told me he had violent tendencies and would likely need to be medicated dry.gif . i specifically asked her about dyslexia but she said no but that he *could* be in the future. the woman was insane imho. i guess i can try to get referred to another one. dunno.gif

will let you know what the teacher says.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

ediep
Posted: Oct 7 2004, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

ok, math word problems are hard for him, making letters backwards.....it is definately a reading issue. Since I was a science teacher, I can't be much help....let me see what my friends from school have as some modifications for math. I'll get back to you.
My sister is a resource teacher for reading and math...actually she may be teaching 3rd grade this year..I'll talk to her as well and see if she has any suggestions for you.

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
raysnroof
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 689

I agree with the above poster about this being a reading issue. How is he doing now? You did ask about learning techniques. I would suggest finding the book called The Way They Learn, by Cythia Ulrich Tobias. She also has written other books on the topic of helping children learn. I haven't read those, but can only assume they are as good. I would focus on letting him read aloud to you. Watch for letter reversals, squinting, and any other issues as he reads to you. Make sure you report these to his teacher and continue to encourage her to help you find the issues that are making reading tough for your son. It doesn't help that he is a young student and also a boy. Even without his reading struggles, it would be an uphill climb for such a young boy. I say this to encourage you. He has normal challenges on top of his reading challenges but these can be tackled. You are the best person to pick up on what is hardest for him so keep him reading to you daily. You could also try drawing letters and numbers on his back. Ask him to tell you what you are drawing. You will get an idea of just how confused things are for him if the number "4" that you draw is first described as an "h" and then as an "f" of if he simply still confuses "b" and "d." These may not make sense to you, but you can relay these findings to his teacher. I would ask for official testing if he has not already had it. If he is squinting, make sure you check his vision. You also might try reading glasses or a magnifying glass. Sometimes the mere size of the print can cause headaches or squinting, which, in turn, can add to reading difficulties. Letter reversals are still somewhat normal for his age and sex. He is young enough to overcome the letter reversals naturally, but reading intervention is still very important. One thing I did to help my sons with the reversal of letters "b" and "d" was to make them memorize this little poem.

"When I am feeling so BEEEEEreft, I remember "b" is on my left."
I have the child make the letters with their right and left hand thumb and index fingers. The right hand naturally makes a letter "d" and a "b" is naturally formed with the left hand. This easy reminder has even helped my dyslexic son.

I hope all is going well for him or that some of the things in this late post will help.

Sharon in KS smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

One of the modifications that should be available to him as part of his IEP is to have any word problems read to him. That way he actually focuses on the mathematical parts, not on the logistics of reading. The point of word problems isn't to read, but to take in information and be able to find an answer to the problem. If he's working on them at home, I would go ahead and read each problem to him.

I would also request that he receive a better exam from a different psychologist- there is definately a learning disability there, but pinpointing it will help you determine what interventions will really work for him.

And I know that we mentioned it before, but in the US it would be illegal for him to have a volunteer working with him instead of time with a qualified Special Educator. The Spec. Ed. teacher doesn't just "tutor" but works with the students to help them develop their stronger skills, find ways around their weaknesses, and to work on their weak areas (for instance, vocabulary, tracking while reading, etc.)

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Kolesmom
Posted: Feb 26 2005, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,367

I was dyslexic (sp?) in school and still have some problems with it now and I am almost 32 yo. I had a problem with reading comprehension, and math. I would copy/read numbers backward. (ex I would see 58 as 85). On slip up like that and my checkbook is screwed. I let the computer do it. I also found helpful (and still do to this day) reading things out loud. It made more sense if I HEARD it instead of just read it. Your darling will be fine, they just have to figure out what works for them.

--------------------
Kole Dantzler
Lilypie Baby Ticker

Our 10th Anniversary!
Daisypath Ticker

PMEmail Poster
akbutterfly83
Posted: Feb 26 2005, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Mom to two wonderful boys!!!!!

Member No.: 1,082

I agree.... sounds like dislexia.... I had that too.... and still do... it is hard.... just be patient(sp?) with him.... get him tested.... the school should already have someone that does that right in the school.... Then they could help him to learn how to deal with it so it is easyer on him.... expecially if he understands what's going on... and that it isn't his fault.... then he wont get so frustrated about it......

And I would take him off the meds until I got another opinion..... they did that to my little brother when they didn't know he had dislexia.... and just pointed it too meds, and saying he had violent tendincys(sp?)....... but when we found out he was dislexic... they took him off the meds... and he does fine....

then they tested me cause I was having problems...... and what my dad and mom did to help was let me go threw the hooked on phonics program..... and that helped alot... and the reading out loud as someone I see has segested(sp?) above.......

I wish you the best... hope it get's a bit easyer for the little guy..... I know how hard it is.... grouphug.gif

--------------------
Ivy(24), SAHM to Mason Ray(3) and Mikel Melvin-Jay(10 months)

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0095 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]