Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Can she have reflux?
MomToJade&Jordan
  Posted: Jan 17 2006, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 212

Jordan has developed a new behavior that is worrying me. I have never had a problem getting her to nurse, but these past couple of days she makes like she wants to nurse, but when I offer her the nip she refuses it and crys as if she's in pain. The only way to calm her down while she is doing this is to sit her in her bouncy seat in the bathroom. We have a fan in there that makes a noise which puts her right to sleep. Can she be showing signs of reflux this late? She doesn't spit up all that often and this seems to be the only symptom. I am worried because it's starting to interfere with her eating. She's always been very gassy, but this is new.

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

It's probably gas. I'd say at this point, the symptoms you describe do not show signs of reflux. At least for what I know personally. I'm drawing the hugest blank ever because I remember Kylie doing that but I'm trying to think of why and the actual circumstances around it. blush.gif growl.gif I'll let you know when I think of it.

It could be the flow has changed, settled, and that's making her mad. ???

Hmm, let me think on this a bit more. I would say that it's not reflux though, most likely gas if I had to decipher between the two.

Hang in there!

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Thanks Karen! I was hoping you would see this. She's happily nursing now.

--------------------

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!

coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Carrie-Ann,

Has she gone through her 3 month growth spurt yet? How many times has she done the mentioned behavior? Have you tried infant massage or gas drops to help with the gas?

Also, is there any other kind of symptoms, screaming at breast, projectile vomiting, excessive spit up going on? Arching the back at breast? Have you noticed any change in your 'flow'?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to think of a few things while I'm pondering this.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

I thought maybe she was going through the growth spurt these past couple of days. This kid lives on gas drops. It helps some, but she is always gassy. I would say in the past few days she has done this behavior 5 or 6 times and always after she has eaten some. She makes like she wants more tries to nurse, but pulls off and cries like she's in pain.

No change in flow. There has been some spit up, but not projectile. She ha been screaming at the breast as well as arching of the back.

Thanks for the help Karen. hug.gif

--------------------

coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MomToJade&Jordan @ Jan 17 2006, 01:31 PM)
I thought maybe she was going through the growth spurt these past couple of days. This kid lives on gas drops. It helps some, but she is always gassy. I would say in the past few days she has done this behavior 5 or 6 times and always after she has eaten some. She makes like she wants more tries to nurse, but pulls off and cries like she's in pain.

No change in flow. There has been some spit up, but not projectile. She ha been screaming at the breast as well as arching of the back.

Thanks for the help Karen. hug.gif

Hmmmm, well maybe it could be a bit of reflux...silent reflux. I didn't even think of the silent nature when I posted a few mins. ago.

Man....ok...

Read this and see if there is anything in there: Problem Solving Fussy Baby

I can't find any good links on silent reflux, but I'll see what I can dig up. Definitely could be silent. But it could be some of the issues in the above link. Hopefully this is a problem that goes away quickly. If so it's probably the above mentioned.

Also, do you know any infant massage techniques? If not I'll scan some docs for you and send them to you. Megan is extremely gassy, gas drops didn't work but massage definitely did!

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Okay, use the "Breastfeeding Tips" on this page, if you can, and see what that does for her. Especially nursing her upright.

Reflux

The page is more regular reflux, not the silent kind. You will know if things get worse, she'll have uncontrolled screaming worse than you can imagine. Trust me, I thought Megan was dieing on me or something, it was the worst screams/cries ever. They are forever engrained in my head. sleep.gif

I know there were some more hidden signs with Megan before the full-out reflux ones.

And like I said it could just be teething, growth spurts, etc.

BTW, Megan does the same actions as you mentioned for Jordan when she's teething.

This post has been edited by boogabearzmom on Jan 17 2006, 11:48 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

I don't know any infant massage techniques. If those are going to help her with the gas then I would love it if you sent those to me. Her gas seems to be a never ending battle. She just tosses and turns at night because of the discomfort.

Thanks for the link. It could be the growth spurt. That did describe some of her fussiness, but doesn't explain why she sounds like she's in pain.

I thought about teething as well.

--------------------

coasterqueen
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MomToJade&Jordan @ Jan 17 2006, 01:56 PM)
I don't know any infant massage techniques. If those are going to help her with the gas then I would love it if you sent those to me. Her gas seems to be a never ending battle. She just tosses and turns at night because of the discomfort.

Thanks for the link. It could be the growth spurt. That did describe some of her fussiness, but doesn't explain why she sounds like she's in pain.

I thought about teething as well.

Well try nursing her upright and see if that helps. I'll see if I can dig up my infant massage pamphlet tonight and scan it for you tomorrow. I would try to describe them but I'm terrible at that. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

QUOTE (MomToJade&Jordan @ Jan 17 2006, 02:31 PM)
She ha been screaming at the breast as well as arching of the back.

I'd definitely call your pedi....this sounds just like what Thomas did and was diagnosed with reflux.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Jan 17 2006, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (boogabearzmom @ Jan 17 2006, 03:16 PM)
Well try nursing her upright and see if that helps. I'll see if I can dig up my infant massage pamphlet tonight and scan it for you tomorrow. I would try to describe them but I'm terrible at that. happy.gif

LOL! Thanks Karen! I am going to try some of the suggestions I saw on Kellymom and hopefully this will go away quickly.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0472 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]