Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question about birthmarks
lesliesmom
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,484

DD (11 mts today!) has a raised hemangioma (a raised red mark) on her shoulder blade. This thing is about 1 in x 1 1/2 in (it has grown with her) and by raised, I mean, it is about 1/4 inch high and really hot. Have any of your children (or yourselves) had one of these. Did it have to be surgically removed? We finally have found a pediatric dermatologist and are getting it looked at on Friday but I was just hoping another parent out there had some experience and/or knowledge of these things. My doctor does not seem to know much about them other than "maybe it will go away".

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

Katherine has one on her neck. It's small and flat, maybe a half inch long and 1/4 inch high. It wasn't there when she was born but it appeared during her first month. I first noticed it at a peds appointment and thought she'd scratched herself because it was just a faint red line. The ped knew what it was and said it would get worse then fade. It did get brighter (we call it her special spot) and a bit larger but it never raised. It's now fading and just barely noticable. I expect it will be gone by the time she's 6.

I did a lot of reading online about them when I first found it and the dermatologist should be able to tell you more about her specific "special spot". Basically they are a cluster of cappilaraires (usually) and I'm thinking that laser treatments would shrink it if it was causing problems.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
BAC'sMom
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

My oldest son (10 ½ ) was born with a birthmark on his forehead; brows and both eyelids the technical term for his type birthmark is called Macular stains, also nicknamed angel kisses. We too were told his birthmark would fade by the time he turned two however it has not and has actually gotten darker. At this time we have choose to leave his birthmark alone, as he is not bothered by it nor does it cause him any pain. If he decides to have it removed then we will let him make that decision later in life.

Good luck to you hug.gif

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

My best friend's daughter had a raised hemanigioma right next to her eye. It was pretty prominent but went away by the time she was 4.5. The plastic surgeon they consulted at a major children's hospital said most will resolve without surgery. He wouldn't consider removing hers until at least age 6. The area is whiter than her other skin now, but is otherwise unoticable. She's 7.5 now.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

Jenna has a birthmark on her cheek. the size of a quarter. It was really big at birth but has gotten smaller and lighter. Its flat and my ped called it an agenl kiss:)

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
ZandersMama
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 06:05 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

Zavier has some of the spots you are talking about. The largest is on his stomach. The doctor has said it will go away on its own and unless it is in a place that will disrupt the childs life, (i.e. an eyelid or something) they will leave it be and they will go away on their own,.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
Nina J
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I had one on my butt when I was a kid, but it went away. I also know a woman whose daughter had on on her forehead, but it went away aswell.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
MoonMama
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 4,927

Brae has a birthmark on his left arm and drives me crazy, it looks like a bruise and it makes me sad. bawling.gif
PM
momofone
Posted: May 1 2007, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Be Kind

Member No.: 11,030

I had one at birth and it fades and gets smaller over the years I am now 36 and you can barely see it
PMEmail Poster
lesliesmom
Posted: May 1 2007, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 2,484

The doctor basically affirmed everything said here. He said that at this point it should be as large as it will get and should start fading/reducing in size. May take 5-10 years but it should clear up for the most part (may be some residual marking i.e. discoloration, "veiny" looking) but not to worry. I had just heard so many conflicting things as to what to do about it I just had to get some peace of mind.

Interestingly though, he found another type of mark on her lower back (just above her "crack") - I had noticed it about a month prior and he looked at it. He said it was a mastocytoma... some kind of build up histamine. When it gets irritated (as he demonstrated) it basically reacts as a bug bite would. That, he said, will clear up in about 10 years...

--------------------
<<!-- Facebook Badge START -->Carrie Adams | Create Your Badge
<!-- Facebook Badge END -->
PMEmail PosterAOL
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 8 2007, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

thumb.gif Thanks for the update. I was wondering how her appt went. Glad they put your mind at ease.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2007, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

I had something at birth on my neck, my mom called it a "strawberry", might be the same thing you're talking about... but in any case, it went away.

dunno.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0159 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]