Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What do you do when they get teeth?
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 5 2003, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I'm afraid Ashley may be teething -- she is showing all the signs. (I want my happy baby back!) Now, I am wondering what to do when she gets a tooth. Will she bite me while breastfeeding? If so, will it hurt? What do you do to teach em not to bite?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

Hello -
Yes, unfortunately at some point when they get teeth they will want to try them out when they are nursing. And it will hurt. unsure.gif However, it doesn't have to last long and there are some things that you can do to lessen the hurt.

First, do be expecting it; don't make it so bad that it makes you nervous to nurse, but knowing what is coming will help you to prepare for it when it does happen.

Second, one of the first "natural" reactions is to pull baby off the breast in pain and suprise. This will probably (due to the suction created by nursing) be more painful than the bite itself. Try not to do that, although sometimes it's not possible (I know from experience!).

One of the best biting remedies that I ever used, and it worked on all four of my children, was something my doctor recommended I do with my first one. Instead of pulling baby away, bring baby closer into you. This forces baby to open her mouth to breathe, thereby releasing her hold on you! After a few times of this, or if she starts to do it again, you can pull her toward you again. Babies are pretty darn smart, and they usually decide it is much nicer to stay attached and not bite!

Hope this strategy works as well for you as it did for me.

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to remember that technique when the time comes. I cringe just thinking about it, but I guess it is all part of the learning process -- for both baby and us new mommies. haha.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

~Sheri~
Posted: Mar 13 2003, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 19

I nursed my DS until he was almost a year old, so yes, I was bitten a few times. What Supermom said worked for me as well. Also, try to remember not to yell or scream in pain (as hard as it may be) because your baby may think it is funny and that it is a game. I know it is hard not to yell out in pain when you get bitten though. Good Luck!!

--------------------
~Sheri~ Mama Bear to Jare-Bear~ 01/11/02

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 14 2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks, I will try to remember that! I know if I screamed, Ashley would think it was a game. At about 3 months, she would tug an pull when she was nursing... I think she was just trying to see what was going on and still nurse. Well, it hurt and I let out a scream ... she giggled. She tried to do it again and so I stopped nursing her for a minute or so. She got the point and didn't do it again. I don't know if that same strategy will work with biting or not since she will be older.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 14 2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 30

Also, one thing to remember ... if baby is *nursing* she can't bite. If she is just hanging out at the breast and not really nursing, or falling asleep and clamps down as nipple is falling out of the breast, then she can bite.

A friend had her first baby biting her constantly. Upon investigation, we found that baby was biting because when baby wanted to nurse, mom sat down in front of the computer to play solitaire, or turned on the t.v., or picked up the phone, or talked to someone else in the house. Her dd wanted MOM'S attention ... biting sure got it!

Baby was 8 months old. By paying attention to baby, then firmly saying NO and putting baby down for like 20 seconds, baby got the message. She also did the "smothering" thing supermom mentioned. Works like a charm. smile.gif

Be very careful NOT to react ... many babies have had a nursing strike when mom has screamed loudly over a nip. They scared their babies. OR, babies will think it is funny and keep doing it.

Suck in your breath, pull baby in.

Hopefully you won't be a victim more than once or twice. Honestly, if they bit all the time, no one would nurse past teething. smile.gif

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 25 2003, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Her tooth is coming... I feel it through the gums! I am getting nervous about the biting but trying not to show it. I don't want her to stop nursing. I just hope I remember to pull her close and don't pull her away. Wish me luck.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Mar 25 2003, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

I will have to remember that when she gets a tooth, Kaitlin had been ruffly pulling off and grabbing back on. I have not made any loud noises (since the first time) and I stop feeing her for a minute or so and genlty tell her that hurts mommy. She uusally stops doing it, but when she did it again (mind you I am trying not to scream) I stop feeding her and put her in her bouncer. She has not done it in a while..thank goodness!

can we say ouch!

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 25 2003, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Ashley did the same thing as Kaitlin at around two-three months. She would pull and tug, or try to turn her head while still nursing. I was told that it is because they want to explore the world and are easily distracted. Someone recommended getting a necklace made out of beads to put around your neck for her to play with. About that time, Ashley stopped doing it, so I never made the necklace. She still pulls off sometimes when Dad walks in the room or she hears a noise, but she doesn't try to turn her head while still nursing any more! She will pull on my lip or pinch my chin while nursing... I guess that keeps her occupied. haha smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Mar 25 2003, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

hehe, she doesn't turn her head but the pulling off and grabbing it back was painfull and I must say she only has done it to one side.....dunno what that means. The necklace idea is good might have to try that if she starts that again. Hopefully she wont do it anymore. Hay and good luck with the tooth thing...........I hope it comes out soon.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
madaise
Posted: Mar 28 2003, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 23

Ok.. here's a biting story to make all nursing moms cringe.

Yesterday, Teigen and I were laying down for a much needed nap. We fell asleep nursing. In his sleep, he realized he was losing his latch and bit down to keep his "nummy" from falling out of his mouth. I woke up yelling "oooww, oww, ooww"... And could not get to his mouth quick enough to pry his little teeth off. Needless to day, the rest of the day, all last night and all day today, I have been soooo sore there. sad.gif And because of that, I was encouraging him to nurse on the other side.. which is now sore from being "used" so much more than normal. :: sigh ::

Ah well.... I'll endure a few accidents and sore nipples. The benefits far out-weigh any bad. smile.gif

--------------------
Judi
momma to Cas, Em, Tege, Jordan & Ry
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 28 2003, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

OUCH!

And, you pick NOW to tell me this story??? LOL rolling_smile.gif
Ashleys teeth are through the gum.

Is there any "first aid" that you can do or do you just have to wait it out?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

madaise
Posted: Mar 28 2003, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 23

Oh, I probably could have used lanolin.. but it's really not that big of a deal. I mean, it hurts, less so now than earlier.

Only telling you so you know that you will (probably) feel like it's worth a few bites.. the closeness you'll feel with Ashley, it will be incredible. I mean, she's 6 mos (almost 7 right?) now... but each passing month, you'll look at her nursing and just be amazed more and more.... a bond is created with nursing and it's important, I think. But the bond that grows is awesome.... and soooo worth the few owies that come with it.

--------------------
Judi
momma to Cas, Em, Tege, Jordan & Ry
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Mar 29 2003, 02:44 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

OUCH! bawling.gif

Here I was hoping not to have the soreness anymore...........oh well I am glad I still have my lanolin....love the stuff, it was so helpful with soreness.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0129 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]