Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mother lets her 3 year old son smoke cigarettes
Nina J
  Posted: Jan 23 2009, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,398

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/732290/m...r-old-son-smoke

Mother let her three-year-old son smoke11:00 AEST Fri Jan 23 20091 day 3 hours 13 minutes ago
A young mother talked on the phone as her three-year-old son smoked a cigarette, a court has heard.

Mother-of-three Kelly Pocock, 24, attended court in Wales yesterday after a family friend filmed the toddler's habit and alerted authorities, Daily Mail has reported.

The prosecutor said the boy in the video did not appear to be experiencing discomfort as he was drawing smoke, suggesting he had smoked before.

"The video demonstrates the boy placing a cigarette into his mouth, lighting it with a lighter and sucking," he said.

"It's clear that the boy, at the age of three, knows what to do with a lighter and cigarette."

Although the boy was sitting on a chair near his mother at the time, Ms Pocock claimed she did not know he was smoking because she was on the phone.

Since the incident Ms Pocock has attended six parenting courses.

Her lawyer claimed she has now been able to prove herself and was now "putting her children before herself".

Despite labelling the case "an appalling situation", the judge gave her a 40-week jail sentence but suspended it for two years.

"This offence would normally cross the custody threshold but I do not want to cause your children any further emotional harm by separating them from you," he said.

Ms Pocock previously admitted to one charge of child cruelty.

growl.gif

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
stella6979
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

QUOTE (Nina J @ Jan 23 2009, 07:18 AM)
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/732290/m...r-old-son-smoke

Mother let her three-year-old son smoke11:00 AEST Fri Jan 23 20091 day 3 hours 13 minutes ago
A young mother talked on the phone as her three-year-old son smoked a cigarette, a court has heard.

Mother-of-three Kelly Pocock, 24, attended court in Wales yesterday after a family friend filmed the toddler's habit and alerted authorities, Daily Mail has reported.

The prosecutor said the boy in the video did not appear to be experiencing discomfort as he was drawing smoke, suggesting he had smoked before.

"The video demonstrates the boy placing a cigarette into his mouth, lighting it with a lighter and sucking," he said.

"It's clear that the boy, at the age of three, knows what to do with a lighter and cigarette."

Although the boy was sitting on a chair near his mother at the time, Ms Pocock claimed she did not know he was smoking because she was on the phone.

Since the incident Ms Pocock has attended six parenting courses.

Her lawyer claimed she has now been able to prove herself and was now "putting her children before herself".

Despite labelling the case "an appalling situation", the judge gave her a 40-week jail sentence but suspended it for two years.

"This offence would normally cross the custody threshold but I do not want to cause your children any further emotional harm by separating them from you," he said.

Ms Pocock previously admitted to one charge of child cruelty.

growl.gif

This just absolutely sickens me. A looooong time ago there was this family that lived on our street and there was also a 4 year old girl who would sit on the porch and smoke and call you some not so nice names as you'd walk by. Those kids were eventually taken away and went to live with other family members.

I just love how in this article it says she's taken 6 parenting classes and is now putting her kids first. I mean really, you take 6 parenting classes and suddenly you're fit to parent? Makes no sense!!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif I don't know what to say about that. Awful awful awful!! growl.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

luvmykids
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

What?! Ridiculous! growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

thats absolutely crazy!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
lisar
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Thats just crazy!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]