Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question about reading/homework
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Jan 14 2009, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley's teacher has a homework hotline that we call each day to get their homework assignment. (Usually, their homework takes about 20 mintues each day) The homework hotline said to study for the spelling test, complete their math, and read the book sent home and answer the questions on the character, setting, problem and solution.

So, I looked at the book Ashley was to read and it was a chapter book (the ones with smaller print, a lot of words, and not many pictures). There were 8 chapters and each chapter had about 15 pages. That seemed like a lot to read in one night to me ... there's no way Ashley could read that much in one night. It also seemed out of character for the normal amount of homework they usually have. How much reading does your first grader do? I think that the teacher either forgot to give a due date and they had more than one night to read the book, or she gave generic instructions for all the reading groups as the first level groups have smaller books with only a few words. I just had Ashley read the introduction, and first couple of chapters and then answer the questions and sent a note to her teacher with her homework. It took her about 45 minutes to an hour to complete the reading, and I could tell by the end of the reading she was done focusing for the time being.

What do you think... is it too much reading to expect them to read an entire chapter book for one night as homework or has that been your experience in first grade?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ZandersMama
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,776

i think that is WAY to much to expect a kid to read in one night , WOW

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
jcc64
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

That sounds like a simple oversight on the part of the teacher, Dee Dee, especially since it was out of the realm of what's "normal." She probably did forget about the kids reading chapter books vs. picture books. I have Corey stop after a half hour, no matter what the assignment is. She's six, and the recommendation is 10 minutes of homework for 1st grade. She exceeds that regularly, but I will only let it go so far.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I think that had to be a mistake, Kylie is reading chapter books but over the course of a week and not for homework. Their reading homework usually consists of some fluency exercises and 20-30 minutes of reading, our choice. Library books from school, our own books, etc.
PMEmail Poster
Brias3
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,419

That seems to be a mistake. Aliyah has 20 minutes of reading that she must do per day from a certain selection of books (they are rotating). She works on chapter ones, but certainly not one in a night!

I think you're definitely right- it was an oversight, and having Ashley read the typical amount should be just fine for tomorrow!

--------------------
Bria,
Wife to Bruce
Mom to Ryan (10), Aliyah (8), and Mason (5)

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 14 2009, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Glad to know I am not totally off-base here. And, the teacher did send home a note stating that it was an oversight and she meant to stick a note on Ashley's book as the kids all have different books and most could be read in one sitting.

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 15 2009, 12:42 AM)
I think that had to be a mistake, Kylie is reading chapter books but over the course of a week and not for homework.  Their reading homework usually consists of some fluency exercises and 20-30 minutes of reading, our choice.  Library books from school, our own books, etc.

Ashley usually is to do 10-20 minutes of reading each night (book of her choice) along with her other homework that is usually a math worksheet that reinforces what they learned in class that day. But, this was a specific assignment sent home. Usually, Ashley will choose to read a chapter book over a course of a week or so, but sometimes she will choose something a bit lighter. But, like I said, I'm glad to know I wasn't way off base thinking that was a lot for one night.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
boogiemomster
Posted: Jan 23 2009, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 22,329

way too much reading for one night
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0136 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]