Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorite side dish for cookout?
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 12 2010, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley's Girl Scout awards ceremony is going to be a little less formal this year... a backyard cookout. The hamburgers and hotdogs will be provided, but we need to bring a side dish. I am baking Mac N Cheese for the kids, but I want to bring something a little more flavorful for the adults. I usually like to bring a pasta salad, but I want something different. Any ideas?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2010, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

My family's favorite (not mine because I actually have to cook it laugh.gif ) is what I call "party potatoes". Every family picnic/cook-out I take it to I always come back with an empty dish. biggrin.gif

You take frozen hash browns (the squares not shredded), a can of mushroom soup or any kind of cream soup, butter, shredded cheese, onions optional, and sour cream. Mix it all together. Put it in a casserole dish. Put more shredded cheese on top of the dish. Then bake for 45 minutes at 375, I think. lol. Then at 45 minutes, take it out and you mix corn flakes with melted butter and pour that over the top of the potato dish, bake 5 minutes or so and voila!

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
stella6979
Posted: May 12 2010, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

Taco salad! Every time I make it I get compliments and people wishing I had made more. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2010, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (stella6979 @ May 12 2010, 09:06 AM)
Taco salad! Every time I make it I get compliments and people wishing I had made more. smile.gif

Can you give your recipe for this? I'm sure it's obvious, but I don't cook so I need recipes to make anything. happy.gif blush.gif Is this where you make it on crescent roles like a pizza? My girlfriend did this at her last party and my family LOVED it. I need to get that recipe. laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: May 12 2010, 06:45 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 12 2010, 07:25 AM)
My family's favorite (not mine because I actually have to cook it laugh.gif ) is what I call "party potatoes". Every family picnic/cook-out I take it to I always come back with an empty dish. biggrin.gif

You take frozen hash browns (the squares not shredded), a can of mushroom soup or any kind of cream soup, butter, shredded cheese, onions optional, and sour cream. Mix it all together. Put it in a casserole dish. Put more shredded cheese on top of the dish. Then bake for 45 minutes at 375, I think. lol. Then at 45 minutes, take it out and you mix corn flakes with melted butter and pour that over the top of the potato dish, bake 5 minutes or so and voila!

This is one of our absolute favorites! We use shredded hashbrowns though wink.gif and cream of chicken soup ( I don't like mushrooms). This is always one of the first things to be eaten wherever I take it! happy.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: May 12 2010, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

OOOHHH! I just discovered the joys of buffalo chicken dip!

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes...lo-chicken-dip/

I don't bake it tho, I just layer everything in my slow cooker.
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2010, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (5littleladies @ May 12 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 12 2010, 07:25 AM)
My family's favorite (not mine because I actually have to cook it  laugh.gif ) is what I call "party potatoes".  Every family picnic/cook-out I take it to I always come back with an empty dish.  biggrin.gif

You take frozen hash browns (the squares not shredded), a can of mushroom soup or any kind of cream soup, butter, shredded cheese, onions optional, and sour cream.  Mix it all together.  Put it in a casserole dish.  Put more shredded cheese on top of the dish.  Then bake for 45 minutes at 375, I think.  lol.  Then at 45 minutes, take it out and you mix corn flakes with melted butter and pour that over the top of the potato dish, bake 5 minutes or so and voila!

This is one of our absolute favorites! We use shredded hashbrowns though wink.gif and cream of chicken soup ( I don't like mushrooms). This is always one of the first things to be eaten wherever I take it! happy.gif

I didn't have cream of mushroom the other day and used some cream of herb chicken soup (something like that, can't remember exact name by Campbell) and it was FANTASTIC! The family loved that more than when I use cream of mushroom.

Does using the shredded hashbrowns make it cook faster? I thought about trying the shredded, but I'm not sure the girls would go for it. They can be picky some times, even though it's the same thing. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
5littleladies
Posted: May 12 2010, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 12 2010, 09:00 AM)
Does using the shredded hashbrowns make it cook faster?  I thought about trying the shredded, but I'm not sure the girls would go for it.  They can be picky some times, even though it's the same thing.  happy.gif

I usually cook it for an hour, so no it probably doesn't cook any faster. tongue.gif Another tip-I forgot to add the butter when I made it the other day and we couldn't even tell that it was missing, so if you want to lower the fat content (now why would anyone want to do that? rolling_smile.gif ) that is an option! happy.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2010, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (5littleladies @ May 12 2010, 10:18 AM)
Does using the shredded hashbrowns make it cook faster?  I thought about trying the shredded, but I'm not sure the girls would go for it.  They can be picky some times, even though it's the same thing.   happy.gif

I usually cook it for an hour, so no it probably doesn't cook any faster. tongue.gif Another tip-I forgot to add the butter when I made it the other day and we couldn't even tell that it was missing, so if you want to lower the fat content (now why would anyone want to do that? rolling_smile.gif ) that is an option! happy.gif

laugh.gif Yeah because that dish is FATTENING! I will have to try it w/o the butter. Ryan is pretty good about making sure I don't skimp on butter or cheese in that dish, but when he's not around he won't know. tongue.gif Thanks for the tip. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 12 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 12 2010, 11:21 AM)
Does using the shredded hashbrowns make it cook faster?  I thought about trying the shredded, but I'm not sure the girls would go for it.  They can be picky some times, even though it's the same thing.   happy.gif

laugh.gif Yeah because that dish is FATTENING! I will have to try it w/o the butter. Ryan is pretty good about making sure I don't skimp on butter or cheese in that dish, but when he's not around he won't know. tongue.gif Thanks for the tip. thumb.gif

How much of each ingreadient do you add?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ May 12 2010, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 12 2010, 11:21 AM)

How much of each ingreadient do you add?

2lbs hashbrowns (shredded or regular)

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup diced onions (optional of course)

1/2 cup shredded cheese (I put much much more in there than that, just how much I feel like doing. My husband LOVES them cheesy happy.gif )

16 oz. sour cream

1 can cream of mushroom (chicken, whatever) soup

salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix together hash browns, butter, onions, cheese, sour cream, soup, salt and pepper. Put in 9"x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Combine corn flakes and softened butter. Add crumb mixture on top. Bake another 10 to 15 minutes.

Crumb mixture ingredients are:

2 cup crushed corn flakes
2 tbsp softened butter

I put the mixture in a plastic baggie and shake it all up, then pour out on top of potatoes.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: May 12 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I make this all the time for cookouts and it makes a lot! Everyone loves it.
CHINESE COLE SLAW

1 lb. pkg. chopped cole slaw mix
1 med. onion, chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
1 (4 oz.) pkg. slivered almonds
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, crushed (Oriental flavor)

DRESSING:

2 tbsp. sugar
2 packets season mix from noodles
1/3 c. oil
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. water

Put first 3 ingredients in bowl. Toast almonds by putting in single layer in shallow pan for a few minutes in oven at 400 degrees. Add almonds and noodles to first 3 ingredients.
Mix dressing in small bowl. Toss with slaw and serve immediately. Makes 12 servings.

For noodles to remain crunchy, mix dressing into slaw close to serving time.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: May 12 2010, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ May 12 2010, 10:53 AM)
OOOHHH! I just discovered the joys of buffalo chicken dip!

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes...lo-chicken-dip/

I don't bake it tho, I just layer everything in my slow cooker.

This dip is AWESOME! My brother made this over the holidays and it was so good. My Mom has made the Chinese Cole Slaw for a cookout before and that was really good too. By far my favorite side for a cookout Bacon Potato Salad thumb.gif

Prep: 15 min., Cook: 18 min., Chill: 1 hr. Round white potatoes work well in this recipe. To lighten, use light mayonnaise and sour cream. To make ahead, peel and cut potatoes the night before, cover with water, and chill.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
6 to 8 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
6 green onions, chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
2 tablespoons diced pimiento, drained
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
Garnishes: paprika, celery sticks
Preparation
Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover in a Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 18 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool slightly.

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add bacon, chopped green onions, and next 4 ingredients. Stir together mayonnaise and sour cream until blended. Pour over potato mixture, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Garnish, if desired.

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
3xsthefun
Posted: May 12 2010, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 227

Macaroni Salad

I make a pretty basic recipe, cook box of elbow macaroni as directed on box. Rinse noodles when they are done add tomatoes, onion, cucumber & mayo to your liking.
I sometimes add pickles instead of cucumbers if I do not have any. I added a little ranch dressing also the last time I made it. It added a little flavor.

--------------------
Tina wife to Rob (Sept. 25, 1999)
mommy to Kaitlynn (11), Maegan (7) & Ryan (3.5)
PMMSN

Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: May 12 2010, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

The recipe Cary posted is normally what I take...or potato salad. But there always seems to be a lot of potato salad at cookouts. laugh.gif

All of these suggestions sound delicious. I'm writing them down!!!
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: May 12 2010, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (stella6979 @ May 12 2010, 09:06 AM)

I would like it too

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mama~Love
Posted: May 13 2010, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,009

I always make potato salad. I don't do anything special, just mix mayo, mustard, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, salt & pepper. I don't measure anything, just add what looks right. There is NEVER any left, and get told all the time to start a business out of it. Yeah right.

--------------------
~*Mollie*~
Mom to 3 boys &
3 girls and one angel

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
PMEmail Poster
stella6979
Posted: May 13 2010, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

Brown 1lb ground beef or turkey drain, put in bowl and let cool. Chop one medium onion, 2 medium tomatoes, half brick of colby jack and half brick of sharp cheddar and add to bowl. Chop up some lettuce and add to bowl. Then crush up about 3/4 of a bag of nacho cheese Doritos and add to bowl. Now, when I tell you what dressing to add you're probably going to be like..."oh, gross, no way", but I can tell you that added with everything else the flavors mesh so well together. Add 16oz's of Thousand Island dressing and mix well. I promise you it will not disappoint!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 13 2010, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Now I am going to have a hard time choosing what to bring, it all sounds good.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

coasterqueen
Posted: May 13 2010, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ May 13 2010, 02:04 PM)
Now I am going to have a hard time choosing what to bring, it all sounds good.

Well I'm sure there will be many opportunities over the summer to try them all. I know I plan to use them all. laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: May 13 2010, 01:27 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I think I'm just gonna have to make a bunch of side dishes for dinner one night - these all sounds so good!!
PMEmail Poster
youngmomofone
Posted: May 16 2010, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,218

oh man all of this sounds good...wouldn't be good for my diet tho biggrin.gif ah who cares lmao

--------------------
Mom to: CJ 7.03, Alexis 10.09, Taylin 5.11, and Emma and Issac 4.12.
Expecting our last baby Liam Jacob in April 2013.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0145 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]