Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this normal?
Danalana
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

If mothering was easy, FATHERS would do it.

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,444

When Kade is sleepy, he starts crying and is inconsolable until he can go to sleep. I was just wondering if it's normal because he cries as intensely as he does when he is really hungry. It used to worry me, especially when I would be getting ready and couldn't do anything to help him. Now I just go ahead and get ready and let him fall asleep in the car, but I hate having to let him cry like that.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
bawoodsmall
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

Pretty normal...If you arent able to console him you will just have to let himself cry it out. Sorry I am not much help but Aiden was like this.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
Danalana
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Well, I can console him by holding him and rocking him...also giving him his pacifier at the same time. But I can't do any of that if I'm getting ready for us to go somewhere. The pacifier alone does nothing when he is like this. He will spit it out as soon as I give it to him.

--------------------
user posted image

Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

Sammy used to cry when he was tired. His tired cry sounded like he was saying 'ning ning' ,,,which was different than his hungry cry. He was so consistent with crying 'ning ning' when he was tired that to this day we'll say 'time to go nighty night ning ning'.

Abby didnt cry like that when she was tired. So, I guess it varies baby to baby.

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
bawoodsmall
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

He is gonna have to cry imo. As mean as it may sound there are times when you just cant hold them. He doesnt like the sling? Have you tried that?

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Danalana @ Apr 18 2008, 12:59 PM)
Well, I can console him by holding him and rocking him...also giving him his pacifier at the same time. But I can't do any of that if I'm getting ready for us to go somewhere. The pacifier alone does nothing when he is like this. He will spit it out as soon as I give it to him.

once he gets a little older and more on a napping schedule,,,the crying should get better. I remember those first few months,,,,,,the babies seemed to sleep randomly. Like there wasnt much of a schedule. But, eventually you'll notice (or set) set times for naps and then they start sleeping like clockwork during the day. At least Sam and Abby did. Heck -- naptime is SACRED at my house! Some of my family members used to make fun of us because everything we did revolved around naptime but there's nothing worse than a crabby, crying baby.

I had read once that you need to look for tired clues and try to put the baby down before he reaches the overly tired state. That way, you avoid the crying. I know rubbing their eyes is one sign,,,,,,,,but I cant remember the other ones.

Hang in there -- it does get better!

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
PMEmail Poster
Danalana
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Yeah, there just aren't any clues at this point. It'll be easier to recognize when he can rub his eyes, I'm sure.

--------------------
user posted image
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Danalana @ Apr 18 2008, 01:12 PM)
Yeah, there just aren't any clues at this point. It'll be easier to recognize when he can rub his eyes, I'm sure.

yah -- that's what sucks when they are so little. Its like you just run around trying to figure out what's wrong and all they can do is cry. hug.gif

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Can't quite remember exactly how old he is now. It's ok, hon, he's used to being picked up, he knows if he cries eventually you'll come- it's all a good sign that he's securely attached and knows his mama will be there for him when he cries, albeit not as fast as he would like sometimes! It's not gonna hurt him if you can't get to him right away.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Danalana
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Thank you! And he's 2 months old today.

--------------------
user posted image
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

Both of mine would get really worked up when they were tired too - I think everything just seems 100% worse when you're tired. tongue.gif I remember having to let Allie cry in her carseat or bouncer while I was getting ready to go or in the middle of something and couldn't pick her up for a few minutes... sometimes she calmed down and went to sleep before I was done and could get to her. I hated hearing her scream too but she was right there with me and I knew she was fine. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

awwwww bless your heart don't you HATE it when they cry like that!!! hug.gif hug.gif Its definitely normal!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Kentuckychick
Posted: Apr 18 2008, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,085

Having nannied for an infant who did this very thing and now working with 8 very different infants I can tell you that this is completely (if not frustratingly) normal!

With Eric he started crying himself to sleep regardless of how much you held, cuddled or cradled him pretty much from the time he was a couple weeks old. He would screech himself to sleep in my arms, the swing, wherever he was at the time. At about 6 months of age he stopped doing it. Then, again at around 9 or 10 months he started up again. At that point I had been rocking him to sleep at naps and nighttime but quickly learned that if he was going to fall asleep and stay asleep he had to cry it out. He actually NEEDED to and when I learned this he would cry or whimper pitifully for as few as 2 or as many as 15 minutes and then be peacefully asleep and wake up happy as a clam.

I don't much like the idea of crying it out, but after working with him and then being in the infant room now I have realized that every baby is so very different in how they fall asleep as early as birth. Some just fall asleep peacefully wherever they are, some need to be rocked and cuddled, some need to be bounced, some need to sing themselves to sleep and others need to cry or scream themselves into a calm before they sleep.

We have one baby in the center who is like this. We tried everything until a few weeks ago I just laid him in bed. He was asleep within ten minutes of whimpering in his bed. Now we've learned that anytime he gets highly upset or is tantruming and we put him in his crib he curls up with his blanket and calms himself down.

I think sometimes they just let themselves get overly tired and then want to be asleep right now. They don't want to be held or cuddled or fussed with but they also don't want to be awake. They're just confused wink.gif

--------------------
~Rachel~ Godmommy to;Connor (September '04) & Caydence (August '06)

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0089 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]